Gibson Brands Forums

Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish

Michael

OMG!, Unbelievable!, I just received my Virtuoso cleaner and polish today and went to town on my new SJ200. The arm crud came off immediately! I've tried Martin polish, water and Micro-fiber cloth, a lot of rubbing but nothing happened until I used the Virtuoso. I also can't put any fingerprints on the guitar because the wax protects the finish so good, nothing sticks. Thanks a million times to all that steered me in the right direction. Virtuoso Rules!!!!!!!!!!

I've not seen it in any music store.

I just bought a bottle of the cleaner and a bottle of the polish the other day at Guitar Center in Chicago. Haven't used it yet, but I intend to clean up my 99 Songbird Deluxe before I try and sell her (great guitar, but she pretty much stays in the case since I got my J-185).

I like Virtuoso, but can't always find it in a music store on the road or at the home base. I usually order it from Elderly Instruments online and it's at home waiting for me. Great stuff. For fingerboards I like good ol' fashioned lemon oil - actually a mix I learned from a tech - 2 parts lemon oil, 1 part olive oil. Does the job with no filmy residue.

Yeppo +1

Got the word on this from jannusguy somemonths ago and ordered from Elderley.

It did seem to take a long time to hit Uk ( perhaps they just chucked it in on a favourable tide)

But it was well worth both the wait and the premium price.

The first cleaning was exhausting due to 25 years plus of crud on a J45 but better now

Funny huh ............I took both the cleaner and the polish to a 50 year old J-50 and it was wonderous. It took off cloth after cloth of vintage environmental crap as guaged by the residue on the cotton. Then I applied the polish and "behold the sheen".....an even more wonderous aesthetic that went as far as masking the nitro fractures. In walks my 20 year son.....takes one look and exclaims " what the hell....wheres the ^%*^*&*&**^!! MOJO!!! GO FIGURE.

Funny huh ............I took both the cleaner and the polish to a 50 year old J-50 and it was wonderous. It took off cloth after cloth of vintage environmental crap as guaged by the residue on the cotton. Then I applied the polish and "behold the sheen".....an even more wonderous aesthetic that went as far as masking the nitro fractures. In walks my 20 year son.....takes one look and exclaims " what the hell....wheres the ^%*^*&*&**^!! MOJO!!! GO FIGURE.

Don't want to get "ageist" zeebee but if I were you I wouldn't let my 20 year old son near!

I recall lending my son my J45 "to lay down some acoustic tracks" with his band and it came back with two dings and belt marks.

IMHO Fine acoustic guitars should only be sold to over 30s and young players should only be allocated =*ender Strats after all that's what the F guitar is for.

^only joking BTW, I am looking forward to me 24th birthday!

Johnt said:

'I recall lending my son my J45 "to lay down some acoustic tracks" with his band and it came back with two dings and belt marks.'

Maybe so - and it probably had finger-grease on the strings and vibration-stressing of the wood-fibre too not to mention undue fret-wear, it's a guitar, your son is a fine player. I'm guessing he didn't leave it in the case and only get it out on high days and holidays.....

^only joking BTW, I am looking forward to your 24th birthday!

Any more cracks about Fenders and I will bring all four of mine up and el-cabong you with them.

Wow - the power of those five little words: ^only joking BTW, heh heh heh heh

• 9 years later...

I traded my '02 East Indian AJ because I had an '02 BRAZILIAN AJ. I missed it, so I bought an '02 East Indian AJ from DUSTY STRINGS, and it has some smudgy areas on it. I have to be in the right mood to tear in on it, but I'll take pictures. I'm betting it will come out as-new. It doesn't have any scratches. The a few crazing lines which will always be there. My original '02 had a funky seam on the top below the bridge. It was like a dark, lumpy area on the Spruce right where the seam was. This one has a perfect seam, and overall I have no complaints for a 16 year old guitar. I also polished the bean shaped silver tuners every time I played it. I've seen a lot of them with cloudy plating on the tuners on older ones. The tuners on "Dusty" are shiny just like mine had. Plus, I honestly think that this one sounds richer than my old one did. I think after I spend a few hours with Virtuoso on Dusty I'm going to end up with a better '02 than the one that I orderwd brand new. I liked the '02's because it's the first year that they listed AJ's as a model that You could buy instead of finding one that was special ordered by a Five Star dealer. So, they had lot of practice making them and selecting wood that tapped out to be a loud one. I can hardly wait to see the finish restored on Dusty. I have a 2017 J35 that I'm going to sell, because I only play an AJ even though it's a really good J35. No use having a great guitar that doesn't get played much at all. Someone is going to get a J35 that can hold its own against a J-45, because it holds its own against an AJ. If this J35 were Rosewood, it would be a monster. Plus it feel like it weighs about three pounds. It really sucks having too many great Gibson acoustics!

Been using it for a long time now as well.

Works very well and smells good...

However now i am just careful and try to avoid playing with naked arm and try to use it not too often.

The only place i found it was some UK seller on the web.

Unfortunately, that means crossing the border. :(

You may want to stay in Canada. We might slap a tariff on you if you try to cross the border, now that you are apparently a threat to our national security. You better hope Trudeau doesn't slap retaliatory tariffs on Gibson guitars.

Calgary looks like a nice place. I haven't been there in more than 50 years, so I supposed it's changed just a bit.

Archived