Gibson Brands Forums

Fret Size

BLACKKNIGHT

Hi

I want to buy gibson guitar but I have big hands so I want guitar with large neck and more space between frets . I found some 50s , 59s , 60s but I couldn't understand what they ment . I want to buy LP Studio Wine Red

On Gibsons, '50s, '60s etc. refers to the rear profile/shape of the neck. Likewise do C shape, D-shape, V-shape etc. with Fenders. A '50s profile will feel fuller in your palm than a '60s neck. Space between each fret is determined by the guitar's scale length (Bridge to nut length). Gibsons usually have a 24 3/4" scale whereas Fenders have a 25 1/2" scale (so more distance between frets on a Fender scale.) Another thing to factor in is fingerboard width and radius. A wider nut width = a wider fingerboard. A bigger radius = a flatter fingerboard. Flatter fingerboards are generally better for string bending as there is less 'choking out' of notes. More rounded fingerboards are generally better for easy chord play. Fenders typically have a 9.5" fingerboard radius and Gibsons have a 12". Some guits have a compound radius fingerboard: For example, a shredder's guitar might start at 12" at the nut and then gradually flatten to 16" at the highest fret.

Forgot to say.....

...style of music you also want to play also has a bearing on what neck to buy. If you want to shred solos in a more modern metal style (with thumb very much behind the neck and four fingers 'floating' above the frets), you'll want a wide, flat fingerboard and skinny rear neck profile such as that of an Ibanez. If you like bluesy string bends and open chords one of the more traditional Fender or Gibson style necks that you'll be hooking your thumb over would suit you better.

Pretty much all you need to know for now has been given in the above posts. You can investigate neck profiles on manufacturers websites etc. but you now really need to go to a guitar store and try all these various necks out for yourself. Even if they don't stock Fender, Gibson or Ibanez, they'll invariably have equivalent examples at the local 'mom and pop'.

Alan

I want to buy guitar with more space between frets so which to buy

It won't be a standard/studio Gibson Les Paul..

As stated the frets are in position to the SCALE length of the guitar.

More space only.. ONLY comes with a longer scale length.

The only LP that I know of that has a longer scale length than 24 3/4" scale is the Bucket Head model with 27" scale.

Read Bucket Head 24fret LP here

Archived