Gibson Brands Forums

What type of music do you play?

Todd Wilson

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I pretty much only play what I write these days. That would be 1920s and 1930s Tin Pan Alley styled songs, which are inflected with piedmont blues, ragtime, early jazz, old time country and/or barbershop quartet melody---occasionally I come up with a parlor music style, very old timey country song.

When I'm not playing Tibetan death chants I like folk, country folk, Dylan, John Prine, Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff Walker, and any music that resembles that style. Basically, anything I can figure out how to play. I'm pretty much self taught so I had an idiot for a student! I do enjoy myself though.

For me, I love strumming on any classic rock type song, but my favorite stuff to play is fingerstyle pieces by Leo Kottke, Al Petteway and others. I am loving my new found music in DADGAD, Drop D and Open G tunings but I always seem to revert back to the blues once I am done learning a new piece.

In the late 70s I "discovered" Buddy Holly. I mean to say I found there was more to him than 'That'll be the Day". I bought his greatest hits and wore it out.... in fact my girlfriend and I would almost fight over the album as neither one of us had a cassette recorder to make a copy. In 1984 I found a Decca double album with a lot of lesser known cuts on it at a yard sale for 25 cents. It really messed with my head because there was some GREAT stuff on there (Learning the Game, That makes it Tough) but it troubled me that the guitar work did not sound like Buddy and I didn't like the schlocky backup singers. Something just didn't fit. About 5 years later I heard snippets of what are now known as the "apartment tapes", Buddy and guitar. Period.

Brilliant. Freakin' brilliant. It all makes sense now. They took the apartment takes and glommed all kinds of garbage over them.

So I'm bidding on the apartment tapes cd.

Oh yeah, baby, I'm tuning the J200 already..... and there won't be any question what I'll be playing soon.

My originals with the band, our music is akin to Charlie Daniels, Skynyrd, Hank Jr, outlaw country stuff, but when I play acoustic out in coffeehouses I do John Prine, Chris Knight, Reckless Kelly, James McMurtry, Todd Snider, Paul Thorn, some originals, etc - and good ol' fashioned Mississippi Delta blues classics:) But, really, anything I think is nice and catchy - I like old and new.

Sure would love to jam with ol' TW on them thar Tibetan death chants. Dang good stuff!

(putting a Sitar on my Xmas wish list) har har

I just finished playing Bass in a Ventures (Surf) tribute band for the last four years. Put out two CD's and had a great time. Now I'm rehearsing for a Everly Brother's tribute show with a friend of mine, and we are recording all the backing tracks for 22 tunes. A lot of work! But that is what made me buy a SJ200 (burst) was my research on what they played and recorded on during their hayday which was 57' to 63'. All their early recordings were on a 200.

Before that I played in a night club in Ft. Lauderdale for 14 years doing six nights a week playing drums. We did mostly every kind and style of music. Before that, I played in a lot of rock bands and a few country bands and also was principal percussionest for the Broward Symphony Orch. for seven years. OH yea, I played for a lot of churchs also. I guess I play everything except Rap!

I go in and out of phases...... Patty Griffin, Emmylou Harris, Sarah Harmer, Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, Norman Blake, Arthur Godfrey, Rosie Flores, Chip Taylor, Fred Eaglesmith. The one constant for the past few years has been Gillian Welch. That woman has written so many songs that many haven't even heard yet. She's a really good songwriter, and I love a really good song.

I'm on a Levon Helm kick at the moment. Have you heard Dirt Farmer? Love it!

Gilliangirl....I'm surprised I didn't see any (early) Joni Mitchell' date=' or Nancy Griffith on that list.....hmmmmm.......or how about Judy Collings???? Go great with that Southern Jumbo of yours.....[/quote']

The problem with Joni's stuff is I have to have the guitar in open D to play it so I almost never do. That's why I need another guitar. I do like some Nancy Griffith stuff but need to check her out a bit better. I never did get into Judy Collins, not sure why. Her turn's coming I'm sure! LOL

Archived