Gibson Brands Forums

What type of music do you play?

Todd Wilson

"I'm on a Levon Helm kick at the moment. Have you heard Dirt Farmer? Love it!"

I've made copies for all my friends & family, & am thinking of passing them out on the street corner!!LOL

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GG - Dirt Farmer is one great CD. I've been working up 'Got Me A Woman' and 'Poor Old Dirt Farmer' to play out on acoustic. I love that whole CD - also another song of his 'Hurricane'...

You got good taste:) Levon is awesome...

"She calls me Tex and makes me wear a cowboy hat"! :-k This cd has not left my cd player since it went in there about 3 weeks ago.... it's so good! I love that little acoustic intro on False Hearted Lover Blues (love the whole song), Got Me A Woman and Girl I Left Behind but they're ALL good.

Anything in following categories.

1. Max 3 chords

2. Of which only one must be other than a major.

3.Max of one finger (if fingerstyle)

4. Max of twenty strums per minute.

5. Sounds better if guitar is out of tune.

6. Demands no more than 11 strings as the octave G is permantly broken on myt 12s.

7.Requires totally tuneless vocal accompani,ment

Apart from that Country, James Taylor,John McLaughlin, Ted Nugent, Beatles, Singing Postman and anything by either the Terry Wilson Trio or Terry's Beatboys beat combo,

Anything in following categories.

1. Max 3 chords

2. Of which only one must be other than a major.

3.Max of one finger (if fingerstyle)

4. Max of twenty strums per minute.

5. Sounds better if guitar is out of tune.

6. Demands no more than 11 strings as the octave G is permantly broken on myt 12s.

7.Requires totally tuneless vocal accompani' date='ment

[/quote']

Looks like we play the same type of music!!!:-k/

Songs-- Traditional Old Time (New Lost City Ramblers), Old Country and Bluegrass, Carter Songs. That takes care of the first 1279 numbers- the rest are a few originals.

I also play a lot of Fiddle backup. This month, I've got two dances to play with one fiddler, three concerts with another fiddler -who lets me sing a song during our set :D/ - and some background fiddle tunes with a third fiddler at a local festival. Also got to sing/play backup for a good old time banjo player/singer on her new CD recording. This is a busy month!!

I just noodle aimlessly. I don't think I've played an entire song all the way through in years.

My wife accuses me of that. She says she sometimes has her doubts I can play a song all the way through. Hey, I know at least 5 songs from start to end, I just choose not to play them.

I think we got an Everly Brothers vibe going for next June Mike

BR

John

I was playing Bye Bye Love and Hello Mary Lou just yesterday. In Zeppelin's live CD "How the West was Won" I love the medley they play and play hello Mary Lou.... It's just hard for anyone, including them to beat the musical purity of 50's and early sixties rock.

Surprised that nobody said Robert Johnson...

Not that i can play his stuff well...

At list im trying...

I make a very poor effort at it. He's my favorite acoustic blues guy along with Mississippi Fred McDowell.

His stuff is so intricate. If there was one person I could mimic I would probably say it would have to be him, because I'm convinced that if you could play like Robert Johnson you could play anything you wanted.

There's guy's that play like Jimi and Page and Clapton, etc. but nobody has ever played like Robert. Even on some of the instructional material..... some of those guys are great players, and while some are way off, some are pretty close, but they don't sound like Robert. Love in Vain may be the prettiest thing these ears have ever heard, and oh what I would give to be able to play From Four 'til Late.

I make a very poor effort at it. He's my favorite acoustic blues guy along with Mississippi Fred McDowell.

His stuff is so intricate. If there was one person I could mimic I would probably say it would have to be him' date=' because I'm convinced that if you could play like Robert Johnson you could play anything you wanted.

There's guy's that play like Jimi and Page and Clapton, etc. but nobody has ever played like Robert. Even on some of the instructional material..... some of those guys are great players, and while some are way off, some are pretty close, but they don't sound like Robert. Love in Vain may be the prettiest thing these ears have ever heard, and oh what I would give to be able to play From Four 'til Late.[/quote']

His music is intimidating, his blues is quite enjoyable yet it is so intense..

It sounds like just simple blues... but it is so complicated yet so simple...

you are right, there is no one like him... sure clapton is great and I do believe he is one of the best... yet he can't do it like RJ..

I love to play anything - especially with other people. In addition to covers of folk/rock/jazz and singer/songwriter material, I also create my own music.

Having said that; the five songs I have played consistently for more than 20 years are:

Space Oddity

Autumn Leaves

Needle and the Damage Done

Fire and Rain

Dream a Little Dream of Me.

My favourite non-original songs to play these days:

Good Year for the Roses

Watching the Detectives

Gypsy Rover

The Painter

Smackwater Jack

Songs I refuse to play:

Stairway to Heaven

Time in a Bottle

Anything by Cat Stevens

It's Raining Men

and . . .

You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman

After many long years of trying to find the magic slot between assorted idols that include Dave Alvin, Keith Richards, Richard Thompson, Sandy Bull, Nick Drake, Pete Townshend, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, etc. - now I just play my own stuff. On a good day, some of it will sound like Ray Charles playing fingerstyle acoustic and singing lyrics by the love child of Elvis Costello and Steve Earle, with Richard Thompson's right hand and Django Reinhardt's left on a stage that faces a country-western bar, a coffee house, a blues joint and a rock club all at the same time.

All of the above describes why after years of solo gigs with assorted Guilds and Taylors, I've come back to a classic, basic Historic Collection J-45. Might not have the flash of the special issues, or the punch or raw power or cannon-like qualities I see extolled in various forums - but man, oh, man, it is the PERFECT guitar for vocal accompaniment!

Having said all that, I still sometimes play -

Cocaine Blues

Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out

Almost Blue

Pinball Wizard

You're absolutely right about Robert Johnson's music - very intimidating. I remember reading a Clapton interview one time where he stated that when the box set was released he couldn't hardly sit through it because it was 'so painful'.

I do two RJ songs in my solo acoustic set - Come On In My Kitchen, and 32/20 Blues...Come On In My Kitchen I do ala Allman Bros version, which I really like, and 32/20 I do the Keb Mo live version. That's one thing about RJ tunes I find fascinating is people's different versions and how they interpret his style. Nobody can play it the way he does, so the improvisations are interesting. Take 'Crossroads' for instance. Most people play the Clapton version, but I happen to like the Ry Cooder version better.

Robert Johnson was definitely a master, and I like to pay homage to him whenever possible.

A lot of people play Robert Johnson......just not like him....lol. Nobody does sooooo much with so little effort. He is a minimalist player, but every note, every space is perfect. I don't like mimic-ing the originals. For example, I play Blackbird by Paul, a little different, but it sounds good....I play Robert Johnson's version of "Love's in vain", one of his few songs in key of "G", great little blues number. But can't touch him, but an touched BY him.

Hey Gillian Girl....I just saw Gillian Welch for the first time' date=' she was on a PBS special about a Bluegrass Festival in GOlden Gate Park in San Francisco.....She was great....I now understand why you like her so much.....keep pluckin'!!![/quote']

Oh, I wonder if it was the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Fest? She and Dave sure are great, aren't they?!

Yeah....I really like the sound of Dave's acoustic archtop guitar.....couldn't catch the name on the guitar' date='but it looks like an old Gibson. Has a great sound for leads and such....they put on a good show....[/quote']

I believe it's a 1935 Epiphone...... sweet sound!

Archived