Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I have a bit of an odd Question, lol

#1 User is offline   Dev n Music 

• Group: Members
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

Would you do a Custom Paint job on your gear, is it even possible? Is it even a good idea?

I'm asking for no real reason besides the couriosity of anothers opinion . . .
"If Bin Laden had of spent more time playing COD he would of realized camping can only last for so long..." - anonymous

Swagger smooth and inviting -- complex yet rhythmic, and copyrighted just like . . . music! by Devlin Francis

"Yo Antony you is your sniper Silenced? / No . . why?! / Good cuz im not either" and then lafao for a good five plus mins because me and my cuz realized know ones asked that before while playing CoD. i had the big *** m240 btw.

" I wish I could Google anything. I'd search 'WHERE THE **** IS MY IPOD?' and it would be like 'UNDER THE COUCH YOU ******' " - another random

#2 User is offline   chris. 

• yes
  • Locationconcord, nc

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:40 AM

View PostDev n Music, on 11 July 2011 - 10:29 AM, said:

Would you do a Custom Paint job on your gear, is it even possible? Is it even a good idea?

I'm asking for no real reason besides the couriosity of anothers opinion . . .

well that depends on what you mean by gear if its pedals i would say its not gunna hurt anything so why not? oh and me and my dad have taken sharpies to some of our cheaper guitars before it looked intersting. but i would say dont paint your guitars unless you get a professional to do it
the red hot chilli peppers

#3 User is offline   Dev n Music 

• LocationEast Coast

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

View Postchris., on 21 July 2011 - 06:40 AM, said:

well that depends on what you mean by gear if its pedals i would say its not gunna hurt anything so why not? oh and me and my dad have taken sharpies to some of our cheaper guitars before it looked intersting. but i would say dont paint your guitars unless you get a professional to do it

Ya! That's exactly what what I had my main foucus on the guitar its self. If I brought in a picture or a design to an artist where would I go and who would I ask for? Thank's again!!
"If Bin Laden had of spent more time playing COD he would of realized camping can only last for so long..." - anonymous

Swagger smooth and inviting -- complex yet rhythmic, and copyrighted just like . . . music! by Devlin Francis

"Yo Antony you is your sniper Silenced? / No . . why?! / Good cuz im not either" and then lafao for a good five plus mins because me and my cuz realized know ones asked that before while playing CoD. i had the big *** m240 btw.

" I wish I could Google anything. I'd search 'WHERE THE **** IS MY IPOD?' and it would be like 'UNDER THE COUCH YOU ******' " - another random

#4 User is offline   Cú Chulainn 

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

View PostDev n Music, on 25 October 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

Ya! That's exactly what what I had my main foucus on the guitar its self. If I brought in a picture or a design to an artist where would I go and who would I ask for? Thank's again!!

Check your local painters first :)
however, you could prepare the guitar first
and strip it of the current paint :) what did you
have in mind by the way? :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

#5 User is offline   Mr. T 

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

If It is an old beater' I wouldn't be afraid. If you're looking to get something custom, sometimes it's more of a hassle than it's worth. Unless you have someone you know and trust doing the work.

#6 User is offline   pfox14 

• BANNED

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

I would hesitate to do any re-finishing or custom finishing on any decent guitar. Will hurt the value a lot. If it's just an old beater, then go ahead and have fun.

#7 User is offline   mikekefr 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHampton roads Va

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

As others have said,as long as its not an expensive guitar,you could play around with some 'colored' auto detailing stickers,pin striping if you will,,local auto parts stores sell kits with 1/4" and 3/4" tape with different colors for like $7.If you're dead set on painting it,id look for someone who can airbrush [thumbup] I painted a guitar years back,and i used Krylon 'Marble Craft' it is a 2 can kit,a big can of a solid base color with a 2nd smaller can that is offset in color and comes out like silly string to apply over the base coat,if you choose to do that,make sure u put a clear coat over the finished product,i did not [thumbdn], its cheap if your strapped for $,something else i did when i was young and silly,i took gloss model paint and 'flicked' it on the guitar,making small splatters over the solid color underneath,gave it a 'living colour' effect/feel.An idea that ive been debating on one of my current guitars is putting a quality sticker set on it,strategiclly placed,i cant decide between 'family guy' or 'pin-up' stickers,the guitar is black and didnt cost alot.Good luck with your project !!
gear, schecter c-1 classic, schecter diamond series omen 6, bc rich ironbird nj series, guild burnside flyin v, jackson js32t flying v, dean baby v, alvarez tele, fender mexican strat w x2n and paf, epiphone ace frehley model, epiphone lp special 2, dean edge bass, dean exotica grand auditorium bubinga acoustic/ele., dean performer acoustic/ele., fender 12 string acous., alvarez artist acou/ele., boss gt-8 split signaled into marshall MG100 HD4X half stack and a crate gx130c combo on a 4x12 crate half stack.Retired gear digitech gsp 2101studio and a johnson j-station.

#8 User is offline   Morkolo 

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

I wouldn't have any hesitation refinishing a guitar, I just have to get a bit better with the spray gun.

#9 User is offline   D-poland 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIOWA / USA

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

View Postpfox14, on 29 February 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

I would hesitate to do any re-finishing or custom finishing on any decent guitar. Will hurt the value a lot. If it's just an old beater, then go ahead and have fun.

that's me too!as far as paint goes on wood that,s not for me! [cursing] I really love seeing the figure of the wood if even it's somewhat plain grain on it !

#10 User is offline   Australian Sun 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSunshine Coast, Australia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:31 AM

Beware thick or soft drying paint, as they are not a friend of resonance, nor sustain. Never refinish an old guitar, please! I think I actually cried when I saw a friend refinish a scuffed up old stratocaster.

#11 User is offline   pfox14 

• BANNED

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

View PostAustralian Sun, on 10 April 2012 - 05:31 AM, said:

Beware thick or soft drying paint, as they are not a friend of resonance, nor sustain. Never refinish an old guitar, please! I think I actually cried when I saw a friend refinish a scuffed up old stratocaster.

Ouch - bet he regretted that decision

#12 User is offline   Australian Sun 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSunshine Coast, Australia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

View Postpfox14, on 10 April 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

Ouch - bet he regretted that decision

I don't think he knew what I was so upset about. He liked the new paint job. Brr!

#13 User is offline   marvar 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationOak Ridge, Tn

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

View PostDev n Music, on 25 October 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

Keep in mind that if you ever want to get rid of the guitar with a design or picture that appeals to you, may not appeal to others. You may have a hard time getting someone else to buy it.
IMO If it has Gibson or Fender on the headstock- don't touch it- leave it alone and just play it.

"Rock and Roll IS a contact sport"

#14 User is offline   trelf 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'd leave well alone - it would end badly for me!
Traumitized as a child in the 80s by "grease and dirty dancing" means I now have an unhealthy appetite for Steve Vai :0)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users