Gibson Brands Forums

I have a bit of an odd Question, lol

• 2 weeks later...

Would you do a Custom Paint job on your gear, is it even possible? Is it even a good idea?

I'm asking for no real reason besides the couriosity of anothers opinion . . .

well that depends on what you mean by gear if its pedals i would say its not gunna hurt anything so why not? oh and me and my dad have taken sharpies to some of our cheaper guitars before it looked intersting. but i would say dont paint your guitars unless you get a professional to do it

• 3 months later...

well that depends on what you mean by gear if its pedals i would say its not gunna hurt anything so why not? oh and me and my dad have taken sharpies to some of our cheaper guitars before it looked intersting. but i would say dont paint your guitars unless you get a professional to do it

Ya! That's exactly what what I had my main foucus on the guitar its self. If I brought in a picture or a design to an artist where would I go and who would I ask for? Thank's again!!

• 4 months later...

Ya! That's exactly what what I had my main foucus on the guitar its self. If I brought in a picture or a design to an artist where would I go and who would I ask for? Thank's again!!

Check your local painters first :)

however, you could prepare the guitar first

and strip it of the current paint :) what did you

have in mind by the way? :)

As others have said,as long as its not an expensive guitar,you could play around with some 'colored' auto detailing stickers,pin striping if you will,,local auto parts stores sell kits with 1/4" and 3/4" tape with different colors for like $7.If you're dead set on painting it,id look for someone who can airbrush [thumbup] I painted a guitar years back,and i used Krylon 'Marble Craft' it is a 2 can kit,a big can of a solid base color with a 2nd smaller can that is offset in color and comes out like silly string to apply over the base coat,if you choose to do that,make sure u put a clear coat over the finished product,i did not [thumbdn], its cheap if your strapped for $,something else i did when i was young and silly,i took gloss model paint and 'flicked' it on the guitar,making small splatters over the solid color underneath,gave it a 'living colour' effect/feel.An idea that ive been debating on one of my current guitars is putting a quality sticker set on it,strategiclly placed,i cant decide between 'family guy' or 'pin-up' stickers,the guitar is black and didnt cost alot.Good luck with your project !!

I would hesitate to do any re-finishing or custom finishing on any decent guitar. Will hurt the value a lot. If it's just an old beater, then go ahead and have fun.

that's me too!as far as paint goes on wood that,s not for me! [cursing] I really love seeing the figure of the wood if even it's somewhat plain grain on it !

• 1 month later...

Beware thick or soft drying paint, as they are not a friend of resonance, nor sustain. Never refinish an old guitar, please! I think I actually cried when I saw a friend refinish a scuffed up old stratocaster.

Ouch - bet he regretted that decision

Keep in mind that if you ever want to get rid of the guitar with a design or picture that appeals to you, may not appeal to others. You may have a hard time getting someone else to buy it.

IMO If it has Gibson or Fender on the headstock- don't touch it- leave it alone and just play it.

• 8 months later...

Archived