Gibson Brands Forums

Strat conversion advice

albertjohn

Now I hope this is allowed!

I have a Highway 1 HSS (the first edition) and I'm looking to covert it to a 3 single coil with new pickguard etc.

Anyone have any suggestions re pickups etc? I like the idea of the S1 wiring as well. Any views?

Yeah, I know I could join an Fender forum but I think I can trust most of you chaps.

Hey there Butch Chartered.....

You have sweet alnico-3 s/c's pups neck and middle, and a great Atomic 'bucker at the bridge, all wired up with a 5-way. Why on earth do you want to change it. Sure, an s/c at the bridge will give you another sound, but the palette you have already is pretty broad. But - if you want even more colours to your sound:-

Most I would consider is wiring the 'bucker to a push-pull pot switch for coil-splitting - that way the bridge pup could be either a humbucker (as is) OR a single coil.

Hey there Butch Chartered.....

You have sweet alnico-3 s/c's pups neck and middle' date=' and a great Atomic 'bucker at the bridge, all wired up with a 5-way. Why on earth do you want to change it. Sure, an s/c at the bridge will give you another sound, but the palette you have already is pretty broad. But - if you want even more colours to your sound:-

Most I would consider is wiring the 'bucker to a push-pull pot switch for coil-splitting - that way the bridge pup could be either a humbucker (as is) [b']OR[/b] a single coil.

I do like the idea of a coil tap. Thanks Nik.

Archived