Gibson Brands Forums

case for swingster

The one who fits the (regular) JoePass Emperor - or the ES-175 should fit.

I thought the joe pass and es175 have a smaller bout ?

I have got conflicting answers (and thee are all really the same company).

Musicians friend said the ES335 case -- but I find that hard to believe

Guitar Center Online said the AJ/EJ jumbo case.

Guitar Center Store said emperor case (which is the joe pass I guess ..)

I asked epiphone/gibson but got no reply yet (maybe they hang out here sometimes :rolleyes: ) ---

I may have to bring guitar into store and see what fits --- the bixby worries me -- I don't want in under stress and cracking finish/wood -- maybe a gig bag would be better ?

I asked epiphone/gibson but got no reply yet (maybe they hang out here sometimes :rolleyes: ) ---

I may have to bring guitar into store and see what fits --- the bixby worries me -- I don't want in under stress and cracking finish/wood -- maybe a gig bag would be better ?

• 2 weeks later...

I can deliver some facts a least about the Epihone ES-335 case.

The Swingster does fit the case snugly in terms of body size:

sc1ze.jpg

The big problem however is the Chet Atkins style vibrato lever. If you let it stay in normal position it is too high:

sc2g.jpg

The lid on the case won't close completely, and I would not dare to force it down that 4 or 5 inches. This would most likely damage the guitar (remember the Swingster is full hollow body, and does not take too much pressure without cracking the top).

sc4x.jpg

Moving the vibrato lever to the back end of the guitar like you would do with a Bigsby B7 doesn't work either, the lever is too long and exceeds the case:

sc3s.jpg

My best suggestion is to use an ES-335 case, but to loosen or better remove the vibrato lever before closing the case. The lever is fixed with two small set screws.

• 1 year later...

Another case to consider if you want an airline worthy one is the SKB-18. It's their twelve string dreadnaught case. I have one, and it fits perfectly and you can swing the Atkins style trem bar down and away, about 3-4 O'Clock and it closes perfectly.

It's got ATS safety latches and it is hard like all the SKB cases. The only thing is you might have to put an extra piece of foam over the bridge area or thereabouts to keep it totally non moving. I've been looking for some time too, until I came

across this forum. Normally that's the case I use for my old '76 Takamine 12-string, so I'd thought I'd try it. It fits great!

• 2 months later...

That case that is in the photo, (part #940-EEMCS) is the correct case.

here's a sweetwater link: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EEMCS

I have a swingster and that same case, it fits fine once you position the arm so it's hovering over the tone control pot for the rear pup

See this thread (go to page two and scroll down to the posts by Ep1) you will see a photo of how to position the arm with that case

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/99814-epi-emperor-swingster-royale-part-ii/page__hl__swingster__st__20

I used to take the arm off thinking it would still add pressure to the hardware but it doesn't.. So I've been just keeping it on.

other cases may work better, but this one fits fine.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

the case that i was told would work will not work unless i take off the swing arm. not looking forward to taking out to small allen bolts just to case my guitar. i contacted the company that i bought it from and now they say that an acoustic case will work..... we'll see. right now i have to keep it in the cardboard box.

When I bought my Eppy Joe Pass (basically a Swinger without the tremolo) they gave me a case that my J200 almost fits in. The "idjits" at the music store didn't order a case for the Joe Pass and gave me the closest thing they had. The case for my Ovation Applause is a perfect fit for the Joe Pass. I use the case they gave me for a dreadnaught acoustic. A perfect fit! Easily a $100 case.

the case that i was told would work will not work unless i take off the swing arm. not looking forward to taking out to small allen bolts just to case my guitar. i contacted the company that i bought it from and now they say that an acoustic case will work..... we'll see. right now i have to keep it in the cardboard box.

I think removing the arm is the best way to make it fit. should be able to back the allen bolts out without removing them completely.

Archived