Gibson Brands Forums

Original Gibson 1959 Les Paul vs 2002 Gibson 1959 Historic

ne14t?

Ok this is for all the nay sayers on vintage guitars not sounding different. Here is a bone stock 1959 Gibson owned by Larry DiMarzio of DiMarzio pickups put up against Paul from Guitar Worlds personal guitar a 2002 Gibson 1959 Historic loaded with 36th annivesary DiMarzio PAFs. To my ear the 1959 sounds way better, especially when played acoustically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d1QSS3qoCw&feature=related

A little more on Larrys guitar and his comments on the 1959

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7IlR53ca9M&feature=related

I hate Paul.

But the 2002 R9 sounds like it has a blanket over the amp and strings when he plays wtf?

I wish I could have liked the comment were the dude said Andy from PGS should have been playing it!

And yeah the difference in the sound was WAY more then what I excepted, was really in awe at the sound that came out of the 59 acoustically sitting in my office I was like [scared]

I wish I could have liked the comment were the dude said Andy from PGS should have been playing it!

And yeah the difference in the sound was WAY more then what I excepted, was really in awe at the sound that came out of the 59 acoustically sitting in my office I was like [scared]

The acoustic sound on the '59 was soooo nice. I would have liked to hear the difference played with the original buckers vs the reissues instead of DiMarzio's on the latter.

The acoustic sound on the '59 was soooo nice. I would have liked to hear the difference played with the original buckers vs the reissues instead of DiMarzio's though.

I like how he claimed the pickups almost mimicked the sound perfectly....sure if you got crud in your ears! No offense to DiMarzio but to me it sounded no where near comparable. I was always baffled as to why the 59 was the holy grail, and up until this clip I had never heard a vintage one played, sure I heard the ones used by people like Page and Clapton but they werent as vintage.

Guest farnsbarns

Well, ask yourself why did they compare the pickups with unatainable 59 pafs in a different guitar. Surely they should have compared them with the competition, 57 classics, in the SAME guitar. It doesn't take a genius to work out why they didn't do that though.

Archived