Gibson Brands Forums

The black sheep...

Tim Plains

...but, which black sheep? That is the question!

Just picked them up today.

I get to keep them both for a couple of days to try out.

I'll let you guys know which one I'm keeping when I reach a decision.

I'm not basing my decision on looks. Although, personally...I think No. 2 has nicer grain.

Ash bodies.

I'm surprised how much the weight varies. They're Strats...I thought Strats were all identical, soulless guitars? O:)

No. 1 weighs 7.0 lbs and No. 2 weighs around 8.1 lbs. Wow! What a difference...it's noticeable just holding them.

I don't have a digital scale anymore and used an analogue scale. It's not 100% accurate, but gives me a rough idea.

So, without further adu...I give you:

Strat No. 1

Strat1002.jpg

Strat1004.jpg

Strat1007.jpg

Strat1014.jpg

Strat No. 2

Strat2003.jpg

Strat2007.jpg

Strat2010.jpg

Strat2012.jpg

BothStrats008.jpg

Nice Strats Tim...

Number 2 does it for me.

Im fussy about Stratocasters. I prefer the 6 screw bridge, 12" radius neck, w/ rosewood fingerboard. The neck has to be a C or a soft V shape, and 6105 fretwire. oh yes, quartersawn maple too if you please.

The body has to be Alder, light weight Alder...to me thats the key as well as the 70's style headstock. The bigger the headstock on a Stratocaster the more sustain. Its true.

Im so bloody anal!

I'm going with # 1. The second is too close to a knothole to me, and the back is way better on # 1.

Be carefull grasshopper.

I broke a string on my Les Paul in 1993 and grabbed a Strat to finish a gig. Bought a Strat in '96.

My S.G. was used 8/12 songs on the DOUBLE AUGHT (cdbaby.com) cd in '99, but then it got worse and I ended up playing a Tele for the last few years.

My new ES-339 has put the Tele to bed.

Goodnight Fender.

Murph.

In the top set of photos number one didn't do much for me, but when I look at that last side by side pic, number one wins every time.

It reminds me more of the type of grain you'd see on an R8. Very understated and classy. The dark, fat grain on number two looks like sub-standard wood (I know it isn't, but it just gives off that vibe).

Buy number one and think of it as your bolt-on neck, 3 single coil plaintop.

I voted number 2 (first one to vote actually), but I like the neck on #1 better. They're bolt on necks so keep the neck from #1 and the body from #2?? :-k

Actually I'd go with which ever one sounds better. With that complex grain pattern I'd guess that #2 is going to be really great or really bad.

You've played them right? You took plenty of pictures and weighed them, but said nothing about the sound. They both look beautiful. I'd pick the one that feels and sounds the best. Try some classic Strat sounds/songs through your rig and choose the one that plays those songs the sweetest. Or you could post some sound clips and we could choose from those.... beats choosing based on pictures alone.

However, assuming they sound the same, I like the extra grain on the body of #2, but I like the headstock of #1. Maybe you can swap the necks? :-k

Rip the two guitars apart to mix and match them, eh? :D Build my perfect Strat!!

That was the first thought that entered my mind. :D

Luckily, I'd never do anything dishonest like that.

Im fussy about Stratocasters. I prefer the 6 screw bridge' date=' 12" radius neck, w/ rosewood fingerboard. The neck has to be a C or a soft V shape, and 6105 fretwire. oh yes, quartersawn maple too if you please.

The body has to be Alder, light weight Alder...to me thats the key as well as the 70's style headstock. The bigger the headstock on a Stratocaster the more sustain. Its true.[/quote']

Funny, we're opposites here.

I like the look of Strats with maple boards (really like the way they feel too...different) and don't like the over sized headstock. I don't doubt it increases sustain. Bridge, neck radius/shape and fretwire I know nothing about. I just want a simple Strat. :D

I guess that's why Fender has over 5,000 versions of the guitar.

I mean... if you can't have a Mahogany Special' date=' #1 would likely do :D[/quote']

I can't have a Mahogany Special...guess I'll have to settle. :D

GC exclusive, right? Good score, that's a great looking guitar!

Be carefull grasshopper.

Yes masta'!! :-k

I'll go on the record and say this will be my only Fender.

I'm in too deep with Gibsons...

Don't know if it is a plus or minus' date=' but in the bottom pic' date=' the one on the left looks like it has a vagina.[/quote'']

No comment...

It reminds me more of the type of grain you'd see on an R8. Very understated and classy. The dark' date=' fat grain on number two looks like sub-standard wood (I know it isn't, but it just gives off that vibe).[/quote']

Actually, in person you can't see any grain at all from certain angles on No. 1. Weird...

You've played them right? You took plenty of pictures and weighed them' date=' but said nothing about the sound. They both look beautiful. I'd pick the one that feels and sounds the best. Try some classic Strat sounds/songs through your rig and choose the one that plays those songs the sweetest. Or you could post some sound clips and we could choose from those.... beats choosing based on pictures alone.[/quote']

Play them? Pfff...why would I do that???

Actually, at the time I took those pictures I hadn't.

Since then, that's basically all I've done.

Both at full volume...

It's almost as if the volume on No. 1 is at 7 or 8 and No. 2 is on 10.

No. 1 is quieter, sounds thinner and clearer.

No. 2 is louder, sounds richer and fuller.

1 rests on my leg, whereas 2 feels bottom heavy and doesn't stay on my leg on its own.

Except for the bridge position, I like the way 1 sounds.

I'm not making any decisions today since I have the guitars for a couple of days...but so far, I'm leaning towards 1.

Tim,

As for Fenders, I have a 63 original, a 94 40th anniversary an 08 Beck Custom Strat (screw sigs. I just liked the guitar), and to Murphy's dismay, a 52 Tele Custom Shop reissue. Every one, but the Beck, is one piece maple neck & board. Love that feature! They truly all are very different. The headstock size doesn't affect sustain on my models. But, take the back cover off on the Strats and hear what happens!

On your choices, I lik'em both very much. Gotta go with #2 on looks alone. Sweet. Good luck!

Edit type thing: still like my old 79 The Paul better than anything I own. What a neck!

Steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1lb. Folgers, Beano, long fescue seeds, 0&4 NFL team, Mel Bay 1st edition, 1879 Stevens Favorite 22 rifle,107 frozen tv dinners, one 12 yr old unopened pack of Winstons, a homecoming in 1969, a second deployment in 1970, jump boots, 4 compression fractures, no battery watches, photo & personal autograph with kiss print from Marylin Monroe (courtesy of deceased papa), home made goetta, Instamatic camera Fort Apache, Lionel engine, 50 yr. old rubber statue of Mr. Clean and much much more!

I don't care for the color but' date=' of the two I like the grain on the Vag-i-caster.

Actually, after re-examining... they are both pretty nice looking.

Tough call...[/quote']

No 1 looks like it has acute angina...........and a splendid pair of................................ (Boom boom!)

The old ones are the best!

I'd say choose on sound. To close on looks alone but either way, congrats.

i wonder how much attention your Strat will get once decide. back in november/december i bought a Strat 'cause it was a great deal and "every guitarist needs a Strat." it sat under my bed until i sold it this summer...i think i played it 3 times- still had the plastic on the pickguard and the original strings on it.

turns out i am just a Les Paul fanatic. I hardly play my SG or my Es-339. I find myself most comfortable with the Lester. even when i'm playing a part that should be played with a Fender, I would still rather play it on my Paul. Makes me 1 dimensional I guess, but i know what I like.

personally, i think #1 is the better looker. and i do like the finish.

Well, I've made a decision and the Vaginacaster is going back...not because it's a Vaginacaster, but because the other one, No. 1, sounds clearer to my ears and I like the lighter body. Although the output is lower, it has a brighter sound...and that's what I'm looking for in a Strat. Nice & bright! I guess the lighter wood actually affects the tone of the guitar...who'da thunk it?? I took the sticker off the pickguard...so, it's official! =P~

Fenn, I think you're the American version of me! That's exactly how I feel, too.

I just love Les Pauls and feel more comfortable playing them more than any other.

The Strat will probably get the same amount of attention as you ES gets...#-o

I play my Lesters on a regular basis and play the ES and SG each maybe two or three times a month.

Nice Strats, boys!

...I can't believe I just said that.

O:)

surfpup, although yours is much, much better, it reminds of my first guitar, a white Squire Strat.

I thought about getting a white Strat for old times sake, but really liked the Sienna finish.

Archived