Gibson Brands Forums

Did Gibson ever make an "Ovation" style??

RASHARU

They were an experiment that didn't go very far. Probably to counter entry of Ovation into the market. These OP models had plastic 'bowls' or 'pans'. Instead of being a smooth curve they were squarish with a tight radius near the 'back' and 'side'. Instead of being shaped like a wok, as is the Ovation, they were shaped more like a cake pan. Some say the OP stood for 'Oil Pan'. I believe this was retconned. I remember reading that they were made in K'zoo Nashville*, and in the early days at Bozeman when someone discovered some left over 'oil pans.'

* edit, what KSDADDY said.

J-25. They were advertised fairly heavily in Guitar Player in '83 and '84. The ad showed 4 (or so) models; J25, Hummingbird, etc. The J-25 had a laminated top while (I believe) the OP-25 had a solid top.

Personally, from a utilitarian standpoint, I would prefer a lam top. My fairly extensive experience with Ovation stuff shows that there are 2 types of Ovation: Ones that are cracked, and ones that haven't cracked YET. Solid tops and sheet molded bowls don't mix. I have a dozen laminated top Applauses that are clearly superior to the solid topped Ovations, both from a tone and durability standpoint.

Gibson tried it, the public didn't buy it. Doesn't make it wrong. It's all in the brand name/expected product perception. Martin tried to make electrics a few times too, those went over like a turd in a punchbowl.

I think "Ovation style" should be left to Ovation. If we wanted an Ovation, we'd get one. But we want Gibsons.

Still, I guess you can't blame them for trying. I did a lot of dumb things in the '80s, too....

I have an old Ovation 12-String. The neck is IMPOSSIBLE on it. It looks virtually brand new, but I've had it since the 80's.

I'm thinking of letting my luthier have a go at it.....but 2 things are an issue....

1. The repair might be more than the guitar is worth.

2. The fiberglass round back rests on my round front making the guitar lay horizontal like T-Bone Walker!

I have an old Ovation 12-String. The neck is IMPOSSIBLE on it. It looks virtually brand new, but I've had it since the 80's.

I'm thinking of letting my luthier have a go at it.....but 2 things are an issue....

1. The repair might be more than the guitar is worth.

2. The fiberglass round back rests on my round front making the guitar lay horizontal like T-Bone Walker!

Best 12 string I ever had, inclduing SWD, Guild, Martin and even a **** ( < Oh for heavens sake AutoMOD its short for RICHARD) Knight was a Glenn Campbell Ovation

If its US made get it fixed IF you like the "Ovation twang" if not take the top off and use it for coasters and us ethe bowl as an ash tray

...Solid tops and sheet molded bowls don't mix.

Is that how they form them? Vacuforming sheet plastic? I was thinking injection mold.

I have a dozen laminated top Applauses that are clearly superior to the solid topped Ovations, both from a tone and durability standpoint.

Makes me feel better about my Applause.

Did you know Kaman they made an even more entry level version of the bowl back guitar. They called it the "Clap".

Didn't sell well though. "Hey 'Squeaky'! What did y ou get for Christmas?" Squeaky," I got the Clap." [blush]

Gibson/Montana made the OP25 in 1991 and 92.

In 1991 they made: 48 in Antique Natural

48 in Antique Ebony

71 in Vintage Sunburst

In 1992 they made: 17 in Antique natural

30 in Antique Ebony

60 in Vintage Sunburst

They all had solid Sitka Spruce tops with bolt on Mahogany necks. The backs were sent to Montana from Nashville. When they used up the supply of backs that went out of production.

Tommy the original ones (the first year or two anyway) were hand laid fiberglass. I had serial number 093, which was technically the 88th Ovation ever made (the first 5 were bowl assemblies). It weighed nothing and resonated to a disturbing degree. Not sure of the production method after that but for many years they were fiberglass. The Applauses were always sheet molded and were a little heftier. Sometime in the late 70s early 80s (?) they made the shift so all Ovations and Applauses were sheet molded.

I think the only Ovation I have left is a prototype for the 1983 Collector's Edition. They were numbered "#__ of ____". Daryl Hall has #1, Nancy Wilson has #2. Mine is serial number 121582, which is the date it was made (12/15/82) and pre-dates Daryl's and everyone elses. The inside label says "Kaman Music Group" and "1983 Prototype" or something like that. It's stuffed out the shop somewhere. The only difference between mine and the production model is the lack of inlaid "1983" at the 12th fret and the fact it is wired in stereo... E goes to one channel, A goes to the other, etc.

I have a couple even cheaper than Applauses. They're called Academy. Bowl back, aluminum 12 fret neck, and injection molded plastic top with integral braces. The only wood on them is the bridge. Sounds like pounding on a 55 gallon oil drum with an oven mitt. Big and hollow and boomy, and odd enough for me to like it. Ovation made them from about 78 to 82 or so. Not many out there.

Tommy the original ones (the first year or two anyway) were hand laid fiberglass. I had serial number 093, which was technically the 88th Ovation ever made (the first 5 were bowl assemblies). It weighed nothing and resonated to a disturbing degree. Not sure of the production method after that but for many years they were fiberglass. The Applauses were always sheet molded and were a little heftier. Sometime in the late 70s early 80s (?) they made the shift so all Ovations and Applauses were sheet molded.

I think the only Ovation I have left is a prototype for the 1983 Collector's Edition. They were numbered "#__ of ____". Daryl Hall has #1, Nancy Wilson has #2. Mine is serial number 121582, which is the date it was made (12/15/82) and pre-dates Daryl's and everyone elses. The inside label says "Kaman Music Group" and "1983 Prototype" or something like that. It's stuffed out the shop somewhere. The only difference between mine and the production model is the lack of inlaid "1983" at the 12th fret and the fact it is wired in stereo... E goes to one channel, A goes to the other, etc.

I have a couple even cheaper than Applauses. They're called Academy. Bowl back, aluminum 12 fret neck, and injection molded plastic top with integral braces. The only wood on them is the bridge. Sounds like pounding on a 55 gallon oil drum with an oven mitt. Big and hollow and boomy, and odd enough for me to like it. Ovation made them from about 78 to 82 or so. Not many out there.

KS, I'll get the SN off of mine and maybe you can tell me what I have!

Here's a pic: (laying on the floor)

DSC01212.jpg?t=1311267863

Applauses were made in US until about 1983, then went to the Pac Rim. ALL Celebrity models are imported. There was talk of some being made in Mexico and maybe there were a few, but then they stopped answering the phone... the managers went down there and found an empty building. Some models were made in Virginia (?) for a couple years in the 80s or 90s but that experiment is gone.

Over the past few years some formerly US models like the Balladeer shifted to the Orient. As far as I know, ALL 'production models' are imported now. However the CT factory (which also makes Guild acoustics BTW) still make some severely kickass custom models... just like Fender's custom shop or Ren's shop in Bozeman.

Thanks. Not a lot going on musically with me nowadays. The bench has cobwebs and I play very little. Been spending all my free time with Lynn, everything from going on much needed walks to house shopping. The new roof is on the old house and the new bathroom will be done in a week or so (I hope). All so I can sell it to my daughter for $27,000 over 10 years with no interest (yeah I'm a sap).

Found a 1963 one-owner three bedroom ranch with 3.5 acres and 2 car garage, mucho trees and lilac bushes, with all period correct heavily varnished woodwork, pole lamps, Jetsons style shelves and all..... for an asking price of $79K. Lynn would like to rip it apart and put in recessed lighting and quartz countertops. Sure, hon, with YOUR paycheck. I'm about ready to offer $60K and then just accept whatever counter offer they throw at me. They're in their 80s and want out.

Guys, if you saw us walking together, your first thought would be "Wow, he must have money!"

I don't. Not really anyway.

Archived