Gibson Brands Forums

Did Gibson ever make an "Ovation" style??

RASHARU

Here's my 'O'

TommyK_64531_100_0201_50pct.jpg

TommyK_64765_100_0183_50pct.jpg

Serial number 199xxx

Laminated wood top, Not sure what the neck is mad of.

TommyK_65416_100_0179_50pct.jpg

TommyK_64848_100_0174_50pct.jpg

Either wood or an extremely reasonable facsimile there of. Possibly Reaction injection molded. But I'm guessing wood.

Any idea as to age KSDADDY?

...All so I can sell it to my daughter for $27,000 over 10 years with no interest (yeah I'm a sap). ...

Farmers do something like this to pass on farms to their kids to avoid inheritance taxes. It's either that or the kids have to sell half the farm to pay the taxes. Better to leave it in the family.

It's hard for me to get excited about plastic guitars. At the same time, I am looking seriously at getting one of the Composite Acoustics "Cargo" carbon fiber travel guitars. In my professional life, I work with big, complex carbon/epoxy structures (America's Cup wing-powered racing catamarans about 26m long, 15m wide, and 40m tall), and that puppy would fit right in, especially finished in high-gloss clear.

That would open some eyes when I took it into the shop, and I can see all the guys wanting to make one for themselves.

You could actually create a highly-resonant carbon guitar, since it could have very stiff, thin resonating surfaces, and would weigh next to nothing. The problem with conventional molded plastics and fiberglass is that if they are thin enough to vibrate, they aren't very stiff, and the vibration probably decays pretty quickly. I suppose that's why they put wood tops on the Ovations, but I imagine they are better amplified than straight acoustic if you want a balanced tone.

Either wood or an extremely reasonable facsimile there of. Possibly Reaction injection molded. But I'm guessing wood.

Any idea as to age KSDADDY?

All Korean Applauses have real wood necks as far as I know. The US ones were aluminum bolt on and had a black mastic filling any gaps at the joint. A friend was QC where they were made. Laugh if you will but a neck reset with shims and mastic is highly effective and wickedass cheap to do.

As to age, all I can say is '83 or newer.

You do understand that Ovation is plugged in, right?

KS... okay.... the Ovation is model 1615-4

Serial Number is 081451

The label SAYS it was was manufactured in New Hartford, Conn.

If it'w worth fixing, I'll get it to my luthier to see what he can do with the neck.

It's the only 12-string I own, it's okay now if I only play first postion chords, but if it's more work than it's worth, I'll probably put it up for sale.

Somehow assoiating a guitar with Great White ain't a big selling point with me. Now Melissa Etheridge that would be another matter. If I recall Tony Rice used to hawk Ovations early on in his career.

My question, how the heck to you keep those plastic back geetars from slipping off your lap?

Somehow assoiating a guitar with Great White ain't a big selling point with me. Now Melissa Etheridge that would be another matter. If I recall Tony Rice used to hawk Ovations early on in his career.

My question, how the heck to you keep those plastic back geetars from slipping off your lap?

When I bought mine I was young and slim..... not so much now...... I'm working on the neck now..... if I get it decent, I'll see what keeps it up and let you know.

Thanks. Not a lot going on musically with me nowadays. The bench has cobwebs and I play very little. Been spending all my free time with Lynn, everything from going on much needed walks to house shopping. The new roof is on the old house and the new bathroom will be done in a week or so (I hope). All so I can sell it to my daughter for $27,000 over 10 years with no interest (yeah I'm a sap).

Found a 1963 one-owner three bedroom ranch with 3.5 acres and 2 car garage, mucho trees and lilac bushes, with all period correct heavily varnished woodwork, pole lamps, Jetsons style shelves and all..... for an asking price of $79K. Lynn would like to rip it apart and put in recessed lighting and quartz countertops. Sure, hon, with YOUR paycheck. I'm about ready to offer $60K and then just accept whatever counter offer they throw at me. They're in their 80s and want out.

Guys, if you saw us walking together, your first thought would be "Wow, he must have money!"

I don't. Not really anyway.

Cool! I hope things come back for you musically. I am glad that you are 'getting on' also... [thumbup] I wish my dad had been a 'sap'; "back in the day" and helped me get a leg up on home ownership... like you are helping your daughter [biggrin] !

For all that matter, I WISH I was in good enuff financial straights to help my 25 year old daughter in that manner. $27K-$79K houses are in short supply in my "neck of the woods" and I think I,m 'underwater' on my own.... [scared]

Rod

Maybe velcro. At least you don't have to worry about damaging the guitar back or sides! [lol]

All Korean Applauses have real wood necks as far as I know. The US ones were aluminum bolt on and had a black mastic filling any gaps at the joint. A friend was QC where they were made. Laugh if you will but a neck reset with shims and mastic is highly effective and wickedass cheap to do.

As to age, all I can say is '83 or newer.

Thanks KSDADDY. Some paperwork in the glove box seems to indicate it was sold new, somewheres in Australia. I bought it at an 'antique' shop in Illinois.

Archived