Gibson Guitar Board: Epiphone Power Bass question - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Epiphone Power Bass question Can anyone provide any info/specs on this bass?

#1 User is offline   cimchazz1 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 26-May 10

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

I ran the serial # (SI98055...)online and it said made in 1998 and "build plant still unidentified". It has a paper sticker on the back that says "Power Bass-Bk". It has a string-thru bridge and batwing headstock. Does anyone have any info on where these were produced and what the body is made of or what type of pickups they have? I'm guessing the "SI" is the plant code, probably Korea? Seems to be a nice bass, but haven't plugged it in yet, still cleaning the stickers off the body.
Thanks.

#2 User is offline   eggs 

  • I BLame it On Brad
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8904
  • Joined: 05-September 08
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

Check this out... courtesy of forum members RTH & Sjael [thumbup]

http://www.epiphonew...itle=Power_Bass
Stuart

1998 Epiphone (Unsung) Ripper Bass - 'Crazy Chester'
1999 Epiphone (Samick) 'fenderish' Nighthawk - 'The Vulture'
1999 Epiphone (Samick) Sheraton- 'Honey'
2000 Epiphone (Samick Indonesia) AJ-100- 'Big Red'
2000(?) Lobo Mini G- 'The Mystery Midget'
1998 Epiphone Electar Tube 30 Combo
1999 Epiphone Regent Bass 50 Combo
Vox AC4TV Head & V112TV Cabinet
Yamaha P70 Electric Piano
Tascam DP-03 Portastudio


Recently Separated:
1995 Epiphone (Samick) Non Reverse Thunderbird Bass - 'The Weirdbird'
1997 Epiphone (Samick) Les Paul Junior - 'Junior' - Signed by The Man Himself
2007 Epiphone (QingDao) G400 Flame Top-'QingDao Lass' - Too young, but oh so pretty!
1981 Ibanez AR100BS Artist- 'Baby'
1981 Ibanez Ragtime Special w/ Barcus Berry Underbridge PUP
1994 Fender (MIJ) Telecaster - 'The Black Sheep'
Marshall G80RCD 80 watt Combo - I just needed some valves!


Lust List:
A mid 1990s 'Blondie' Rivoli Bass with a Big Fat Mudbucker

#3 User is offline   TheDeej 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 22-July 11

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:49 AM

I'm pretty sure I have the Power Bass (original version) with the Explorer style headstock however I can't seem to find a serial number on it. On the headstock it says Epiphone by Gibson. Where would the serial number be located? I bought this off craigslist for a starter bass but would like to verify it is genuine rather than a fake.

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   RTH 

  • €piphonewiki Team
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5095
  • Joined: 28-May 10
  • LocationEpiphonewiki HQ

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:25 AM

View Postcimchazz1, on 21 July 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

I ran the serial # (SI98055...)online and it said made in 1998 and "build plant still unidentified". It has a paper sticker on the back that says "Power Bass-Bk". It has a string-thru bridge and batwing headstock. Does anyone have any info on where these were produced and what the body is made of or what type of pickups they have? I'm guessing the "SI" is the plant code, probably Korea? Seems to be a nice bass, but haven't plugged it in yet, still cleaning the stickers off the body.
Thanks.

SI is Samick Indonesia. You have the Power Bass II.

View PostTheDeej, on 22 July 2011 - 12:49 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure I have the Power Bass (original version) with the Explorer style headstock however I can't seem to find a serial number on it. On the headstock it says Epiphone by Gibson. Where would the serial number be located? I bought this off craigslist for a starter bass but would like to verify it is genuine rather than a fake.



The serial number was probably on a sticker on the neck near the heel or headstock. Its probably gone now. Your bass is an Epiphone By Gibson, so that means it was made between 1986 and 1988 at the Samick Plant in Korea. Its not a counterfeit. Its the real thing. Chinese fakes didnt run rampant back then like they do now. And considering that these are basically lower-end instruments, the chances of them being faked back then are slim to none.
Posted Image




#5 User is offline   cimchazz1 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 26-May 10

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

View PostRTH, on 22 July 2011 - 06:25 AM, said:

SI is Samick Indonesia. You have the Power Bass II.


The serial number was probably on a sticker on the neck near the heel or headstock. Its probably gone now. Your bass is an Epiphone By Gibson, so that means it was made between 1986 and 1988 at the Samick Plant in Korea. Its not a counterfeit. Its the real thing. Chinese fakes didnt run rampant back then like they do now. And considering that these are basically lower-end instruments, the chances of them being faked back then are slim to none.


#6 User is offline   cimchazz1 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 26-May 10

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

All, thanks for the info.
My Powerbass 2 has the serial # on the chrome neck plate on the back. But there's a sticker on the back of the neck at the base that says "Power Bass". From what I've read about other guitars, I'm guessing the Korean built basses are probably made better than the Indonesian (Chinese) built basses. But, then again, every bass is probably a little different in some way. Some are probably better that others from both places. These are nice looking instruments, but a little on the heavy side (like the newer SG basses). I think I read somewhere the bodies on the "2" are Maple, while the "1" were called "hardwood".

#7 User is offline   RTH 

  • €piphonewiki Team
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5095
  • Joined: 28-May 10
  • LocationEpiphonewiki HQ

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:19 AM

View Postcimchazz1, on 26 July 2011 - 09:58 PM, said:

All, thanks for the info.
My Powerbass 2 has the serial # on the chrome neck plate on the back. But there's a sticker on the back of the neck at the base that says "Power Bass". From what I've read about other guitars, I'm guessing the Korean built basses are probably made better than the Indonesian (Chinese) built basses. But, then again, every bass is probably a little different in some way. Some are probably better that others from both places. These are nice looking instruments, but a little on the heavy side (like the newer SG basses). I think I read somewhere the bodies on the "2" are Maple, while the "1" were called "hardwood".

The Powerbass II was definitely maple, but so were many of the first gen Powerbasses. The 1986 catalogue lists the Powerbass as Tonewood. By 1991, possibly sooner, it was listed as maple. One way to find out for sure is to open the control cavity and look at the wood.
Posted Image




#8 User is offline   TheDeej 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 22-July 11

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

On the head stock guide, does that also apply to bass as well? Or just regular?

#9 User is offline   RTH 

  • €piphonewiki Team
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5095
  • Joined: 28-May 10
  • LocationEpiphonewiki HQ

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:19 AM

View PostTheDeej, on 27 July 2011 - 10:26 AM, said:

On the head stock guide, does that also apply to bass as well? Or just regular?


That mainly applies to the S-Series guitars, but not the S-Type basses. All of the S-Series guitars switched to the batwing headstock in 1996. but I think a couple of the basses kept the explorer headstock. The Accu Bass changed for sure, but I think the Rock Bass kept the old headstock. I'm not entirely certain though, I'd have to refer to some catalouges.

The S-type basses had a slight headstock modification in 1989, as did the guitars. But the bass headstock changes were much more subtle and harder to notice. I think they just got a little chunkier and less streamlined.

The headstock guide does not apply to the Pro, I-Series or X-1000 guitars...although the X-1000 had a couple of headstock and logo changes as well.
Posted Image




#10 User is offline   cimchazz1 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 26-May 10

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

View PostRTH, on 27 July 2011 - 11:19 AM, said:

That mainly applies to the S-Series guitars, but not the S-Type basses. All of the S-Series guitars switched to the batwing headstock in 1996. but I think a couple of the basses kept the explorer headstock. The Accu Bass changed for sure, but I think the Rock Bass kept the old headstock. I'm not entirely certain though, I'd have to refer to some catalouges.

The S-type basses had a slight headstock modification in 1989, as did the guitars. But the bass headstock changes were much more subtle and harder to notice. I think they just got a little chunkier and less streamlined.

The headstock guide does not apply to the Pro, I-Series or X-1000 guitars...although the X-1000 had a couple of headstock and logo changes as well.


My 1998 Power Bass 2 has a very well defined batwing on the headstock, and the black finish is great. Actually, maybe the black color headstock actually makes the batwing "scallops" stand out even more than on other colors. I think it's actually a great looking bass in black. With a good setup, it would probably be a pretty nice instrument.

#11 User is offline   RTH 

  • €piphonewiki Team
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5095
  • Joined: 28-May 10
  • LocationEpiphonewiki HQ

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:52 AM

View Postcimchazz1, on 27 July 2011 - 09:48 PM, said:

My 1998 Power Bass 2 has a very well defined batwing on the headstock, and the black finish is great. Actually, maybe the black color headstock actually makes the batwing "scallops" stand out even more than on other colors. I think it's actually a great looking bass in black. With a good setup, it would probably be a pretty nice instrument.


THey really are nice basses. As far as the pickups go, they are basic, Epiphone designed, Korean-made pickups. Nothing special, but they get the job done.
Posted Image




Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users