Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Power Bass question

cimchazz1

I ran the serial # (SI98055...)online and it said made in 1998 and "build plant still unidentified". It has a paper sticker on the back that says "Power Bass-Bk". It has a string-thru bridge and batwing headstock. Does anyone have any info on where these were produced and what the body is made of or what type of pickups they have? I'm guessing the "SI" is the plant code, probably Korea? Seems to be a nice bass, but haven't plugged it in yet, still cleaning the stickers off the body.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I have the Power Bass (original version) with the Explorer style headstock however I can't seem to find a serial number on it. On the headstock it says Epiphone by Gibson. Where would the serial number be located? I bought this off craigslist for a starter bass but would like to verify it is genuine rather than a fake.

Vancouver-20110721-00036.jpg

I ran the serial # (SI98055...)online and it said made in 1998 and "build plant still unidentified". It has a paper sticker on the back that says "Power Bass-Bk". It has a string-thru bridge and batwing headstock. Does anyone have any info on where these were produced and what the body is made of or what type of pickups they have? I'm guessing the "SI" is the plant code, probably Korea? Seems to be a nice bass, but haven't plugged it in yet, still cleaning the stickers off the body.

Thanks.

SI is Samick Indonesia. You have the Power Bass II.

I'm pretty sure I have the Power Bass (original version) with the Explorer style headstock however I can't seem to find a serial number on it. On the headstock it says Epiphone by Gibson. Where would the serial number be located? I bought this off craigslist for a starter bass but would like to verify it is genuine rather than a fake.

The serial number was probably on a sticker on the neck near the heel or headstock. Its probably gone now. Your bass is an Epiphone By Gibson, so that means it was made between 1986 and 1988 at the Samick Plant in Korea. Its not a counterfeit. Its the real thing. Chinese fakes didnt run rampant back then like they do now. And considering that these are basically lower-end instruments, the chances of them being faked back then are slim to none.

SI is Samick Indonesia. You have the Power Bass II.

The serial number was probably on a sticker on the neck near the heel or headstock. Its probably gone now. Your bass is an Epiphone By Gibson, so that means it was made between 1986 and 1988 at the Samick Plant in Korea. Its not a counterfeit. Its the real thing. Chinese fakes didnt run rampant back then like they do now. And considering that these are basically lower-end instruments, the chances of them being faked back then are slim to none.

All, thanks for the info.

My Powerbass 2 has the serial # on the chrome neck plate on the back. But there's a sticker on the back of the neck at the base that says "Power Bass". From what I've read about other guitars, I'm guessing the Korean built basses are probably made better than the Indonesian (Chinese) built basses. But, then again, every bass is probably a little different in some way. Some are probably better that others from both places. These are nice looking instruments, but a little on the heavy side (like the newer SG basses). I think I read somewhere the bodies on the "2" are Maple, while the "1" were called "hardwood".

All, thanks for the info.

My Powerbass 2 has the serial # on the chrome neck plate on the back. But there's a sticker on the back of the neck at the base that says "Power Bass". From what I've read about other guitars, I'm guessing the Korean built basses are probably made better than the Indonesian (Chinese) built basses. But, then again, every bass is probably a little different in some way. Some are probably better that others from both places. These are nice looking instruments, but a little on the heavy side (like the newer SG basses). I think I read somewhere the bodies on the "2" are Maple, while the "1" were called "hardwood".

The Powerbass II was definitely maple, but so were many of the first gen Powerbasses. The 1986 catalogue lists the Powerbass as Tonewood. By 1991, possibly sooner, it was listed as maple. One way to find out for sure is to open the control cavity and look at the wood.

On the head stock guide, does that also apply to bass as well? Or just regular?

That mainly applies to the S-Series guitars, but not the S-Type basses. All of the S-Series guitars switched to the batwing headstock in 1996. but I think a couple of the basses kept the explorer headstock. The Accu Bass changed for sure, but I think the Rock Bass kept the old headstock. I'm not entirely certain though, I'd have to refer to some catalouges.

The S-type basses had a slight headstock modification in 1989, as did the guitars. But the bass headstock changes were much more subtle and harder to notice. I think they just got a little chunkier and less streamlined.

The headstock guide does not apply to the Pro, I-Series or X-1000 guitars...although the X-1000 had a couple of headstock and logo changes as well.

That mainly applies to the S-Series guitars, but not the S-Type basses. All of the S-Series guitars switched to the batwing headstock in 1996. but I think a couple of the basses kept the explorer headstock. The Accu Bass changed for sure, but I think the Rock Bass kept the old headstock. I'm not entirely certain though, I'd have to refer to some catalouges.

The S-type basses had a slight headstock modification in 1989, as did the guitars. But the bass headstock changes were much more subtle and harder to notice. I think they just got a little chunkier and less streamlined.

The headstock guide does not apply to the Pro, I-Series or X-1000 guitars...although the X-1000 had a couple of headstock and logo changes as well.

My 1998 Power Bass 2 has a very well defined batwing on the headstock, and the black finish is great. Actually, maybe the black color headstock actually makes the batwing "scallops" stand out even more than on other colors. I think it's actually a great looking bass in black. With a good setup, it would probably be a pretty nice instrument.

My 1998 Power Bass 2 has a very well defined batwing on the headstock, and the black finish is great. Actually, maybe the black color headstock actually makes the batwing "scallops" stand out even more than on other colors. I think it's actually a great looking bass in black. With a good setup, it would probably be a pretty nice instrument.

THey really are nice basses. As far as the pickups go, they are basic, Epiphone designed, Korean-made pickups. Nothing special, but they get the job done.

Archived