Gibson Brands Forums

EJ-200 Artist Fret Buzz

cwheat

Received my new EJ-200 Artist last week. It's gorgeous, but there's a problem. Serious buzz at first fret. Each and every string when depressed at first fret buzzes. Doesn't occur at any other fret. In fact, if I only wanted to play the guitar from the second fret up, it would be great. Anyone else, encounter this, and if so, any recommended remedies short of sending it back?

Hey cwheat, I too am an EJ-200 Artist owner. I personally haven't had any fret buzz but the way I see it there are a few options.

1: You could try going up in string gauge. MIGHT help.

2: You could adjust the truss rod, but since there isn't buzz anywhere else, I wouldn't recommend it.

3: You could have the action raised a hair.

or 4: You could take it to a luthier for a set-up. Tell him/her that there is serious buzzing at 1 but none above it. It's most likely that the fret is uneven and he/she can definitely fix it. (I'd do this.)

I hope all is well soon. Cheers!

Sounds like it might be a high fret. Using a credit card (or other short, straight edge), do the "rock" test. With the edge spanning 3 frets (or a few more), the card should not rock. If it does, you may need professional help.

Can you tell more about this "rock test"? Is there any video//tutorial around?

I have the same issue. I have my EJ 200 Artist since last Thursday and it's buzzing sometimes, I couldn't identify which fret is buzzing. I suspect that the action is a bit low. I already planned to offer a professional setup to my guitar and to change to bone stuff, but I want to be sure that my guitar is well built. It's the first guitar I bought and I'm not sure about what to check. I played for 5 years before on the same classical guitar that my grandma bought.

• 4 years later...

I own several Epiphones and, occassionaly, have run into a fret buzz issue. It's not a major problem because with a little tinkering, whether by my luthier or myself, it goes away. First, agree with the posts on changing out the strings for the heavier guage. When your strings are off, you can do the 'rock' test. Also, at that time, you might want to 'tap down' each fret wire. Seems Ephiphones have a fret wire issue (especially, if they haven't been humidified properly). It's a quick fix and worth the extra effort. Of course, proper tools and or experience is a given, so, head to your luthier for this if you don't feel comfortable doing this. Finally, a proper setup will be needed, especially, taking into consideration your personal playing requirements. Remember to properly humidify. Here in Arizona, it's critical. Good luck.

• 4 years later...