Gibson Brands Forums

Nashville V Memphis

johnny_uk

Is there really a difference between the two retail shops in terms of build? I noticed this comment from a USA shop selling a 335.

"Gibson Custom Shop 1959 ES-335 (2008)(Nashville not Memphis)

(Item#416)(as new) '08 Cherry '59 dot reissue from the Custom Shop in Nashville, not one of the fat neck Memphis guitars, 8 lbs 7 ounces, good size neck at: 1st fret .895", 12th fret 1.015", really great looking fingerboard with nice color, hang tags, blank warranty, certificate, case candy and black Gibson Custom case. "

Blimey!! what happened to the good old days when a guitar was a guitar. My search for a guitar is becoming far too complicated...lol. Will we ever see the anorexic neck, or has it already happened??

Cheers

Johnny

Umm, no. It's getting more complicated, not less. The newest neck type is asymetrical so along with the 50's neck, 60's neck and other fat or skinney necks that one is now also in the mix. You need to get your hands on a 50's neck and a 60's neck and see which fits you best and that'll help narrow your focus -

the nashville Custom Shop and Memphis are under the same management umbrella...but the only CUSTOM SHOP is in Nashville- which is different than the Gibson USA factory in Nashville. production semi/hollow guitars are made in Memphis, but are called Custom (ie my ES-339). but they are not made in a "custom shop." Memphis is equivalent to the USA factory in Nashville.

that being said, there is the potential for a big difference or at least a noticeable one between the 2 factories. If a semi-hollow is made in Nashville, then it is made in the CS and gets more hands on treatment and better wood (in theory) than the Memphis semi-hollows.

Archived