• Occasional Head Banger !!!
  • Group: Members
  • LocationMackay, Australia.

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:53 AM

Brand: Wilkinson

Product: Roller Bridge

Item #: 200380174638

Price: $20 - $25

Description: An extremely adjustable roller bridge using a top mounted saddle arrangement.

These pics show the two centre saddles adjusted fully inwards (cross over each other by approx 1mm) and outwards (yields a spead of 10-11mm).
Posted ImagePosted Image

These two show the stepped base the saddles mount on.
Posted Image
Posted Image

And the final results
Posted Image

Installation: The first thing I noticed was the tight fit of the posts in their slots, this presented a problem, it gave no latitude for variance in the post spacing. Using a set of callipers I measured the all important post hole spacing, the guitar I was mounting it on had a hole spacing of 73.75mm, the bridge's spacing was 74.25mm, only half a millimeter (0.020") difference, but that was enough to stop a drop in install. I had to file the inner faces of the post mounting slots to get it to fit, not really a big deal though. This guitar was probably not the best candidate for this first impression review, the bridge was mounted about 3mm too long on the bass side, which made intonatoin nigh on impossible with the last bridge I used, the Wilkinson though gave the latitude to ba able to get the intonation spot on.

Intonation: Adjusting the intonation with these bridges offers a great deal of latitude, not only are the saddles adjustable (as per) but the whole bridge's position can be adjusted latterally using grub screws. Actually adjusting the saddles is a little haphazard, you have to loosen the locking screw then bump the saddle in the desired direction, there's no fine tuning, it relies totally on just how hard you bump it, this can be a little awkward initially,but you soon become used to it.

The old bridge with the bass side saddles at the end of their travel.
Posted Image

Final Impressions: A terrific product that can be a little fiddly to install, but well worth the effort, a very solid bridge to post contact is afforded by the 4 grub screws, virtually locking the bridge to the posts, tremendous value for money.
Only the mediocre are always at their best.

GUITARS: ........... 60 odd lumps of Wood, Aluminium and Plastic with many and varied electric bits attached.
PEDALS: ............
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah, Crowther Double Hotcake, Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive, Korg Pitch Black Tuner.
AMPS & CABS: .
Egnater Tweaker Head (15w), Roland CM-30 (30w), Line 6 Spider II (30w), Peavey TKO 115 (80W), Marshall MF Head (350w) Line 6 Quad Box (320w).

Some of my collection
A man of many faces !!!
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   damian 

• The Guitar Whisperer
  • LocationIn The Misty Mountains With My Black Dog

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:41 AM

Awesome thread......

Will this fit my Epi P3 Riviera ??? And my Epi Les Pauls when I Bigsby them ????
I use Atlas Stands because they are the best................. http://www.facebook.com/atlasstands ......American Made.......Rewind Pickups; MIA and the Best.......
.....................Codtone Pedals from OZ......................................." Ya'll remove hats, please "...................................Motor City Pickups......................................
.................................." I hate it when people compare god with jimmy page, I mean, he's good and all, but he's no jimmy page."..................................
Music Consultant, Songwriter........................................ - THE MENSA PRETZEL LOGIC PROJECT - .............................. Advocate for the Disabled, Gentle Hellraiser.

" It occured to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." Einstein on his theory of relativity.
" Music is a higher relevation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." Ludwig von Beethoven
" There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.' Johann Sebastian Bach
" Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or a punching bag. It's not the thing itself; it's preparatory to the activity." Barney Kessel
" After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Hoxley
" There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have crossed this line." Pianist Oscar Lavant
" Music came before language; musical grunts became words." Damian (copyright)
" I know how to get there, all I've got to do is keep playing." Jimmy Page
" Without music, life would be a mistake." Friedrich Nietzsche
" Music is an outburst of the soul." Fredrick Deluis
" Rock and Roll forever, man." Unknown
" Damian's cool." NeoConMan
" WTF ??? " dem00n
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   RaSTuS 

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:44 AM

View Postdamian, on 29 July 2011 - 02:41 AM, said:

Awesome thread......

Will this fit my Epi P3 Riviera ??? And my Epi Les Pauls when I Bigsby them ????

It should do Damian, the nominal bridge post spacing is 74mm, which is the same as far as I'm aware.

EDIT: This is the thread where I got the impetus to try one of these, seems several members have used them successfully and are generally very happy with the results. Thanks to Mike for starting it.

Roller Bridges

GUITARS: ........... 60 odd lumps of Wood, Aluminium and Plastic with many and varied electric bits attached.
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah, Crowther Double Hotcake, Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive, Korg Pitch Black Tuner.
Egnater Tweaker Head (15w), Roland CM-30 (30w), Line 6 Spider II (30w), Peavey TKO 115 (80W), Marshall MF Head (350w) Line 6 Quad Box (320w).

Some of my collection
A man of many faces !!!
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   animalfarm 

• Don't forget about Lounge "DIY" Thread!
  • LocationTEXAS!!! (Y'all remove hats, please!)

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:58 AM

Thaks, Rob! Very helpful, to say the least! I personally have HEARD
or the Wilkinson Roller bridge, but only thru website pics. Never knew enough
about them to even begin to consider using one. NOW, you've sat down and told
me what having one is like, and THAT'S useful information!

Beats the heck out of 2 or 3 brief lines of commentary on a site that SELLS them.
And Bob's yer Uncle! [thumbup]

Thanks for taking the time!

GITS:
2006 Epi LP Classic (Amber Quilt Top), 498T/490R Gibson pups, Gibson Deluxe Tulip Tuners
2010 SX Hawk Strat Copy w/ two P-90s, Mahogany with Maple neck/Fretboard, with Stop-Tail
2010 Ovation CC-24 Flamed Koa Top Acoustic-Electric
2010 Jay Turser JT-200 Pro Les Paul Double Cut-Away (TransAmber), Gibson Deluxe Tulip Tuners
AMPS:
Crate (mid-90s) Vintage Club 50, all tube 50W
Vox VT-15 Modelling Amp, 15W
Marshall MG15CD Amp, 15W

#5 User is offline   Supersonic 

• Cynical Optimist
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

Great review Rob. One of these things is definitely on my "Stuff to Get" list.
My Epiphone Guitars
Les Paul Standard
G400 Deluxe w/ Maestro Tremolo
P93 Riviera
Early 1970's 6830 acoustic

Other Stuff
Dean Playmate Acoustic/Electric Bass
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric
Madiera A-2 Acoustic
Trinity River squareneck Dobro
A-Style Mandolin
Various pedals, devices, and other sonic implements of destruction

Amps
Vintage 1974 Fender Deluxe Reverb "Silverface"
Vintage 1965 Silvertone 1482 15 watt combo
Roland Cube 30
Vox AC4-C1-BRG

#6 User is offline   brad1 

• Resident Tin Whacker
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

Rob, awesome review!
Nice pics and well explained.
Thanks for doing that. [thumbup]
Life's Distractions/Pleasures:
2006 Epiphone Ebony G400, 1997 Epiphone Cherry SG Junior, 1997 Epiphone LE Standard Plus Trans-Blue Les Paul,
2007 Epiphone Cherry Dot, 1996 Fender Black MIM Traditional Stratocaster, 2008 VM Squier Olympic White SSH Telecaster, 2011 Jackson Gun Metal Gray JS32R Dinky (FR)
1985 George Washburn Dreadnought, 2005 Ibanez Trans-Blue Burst GSR200 FM Bass, VOX AD30VT, Fender Super Champ XD. Acoustic B100 Bass Amp

[size="2"]My Music ----> http://soundcloud.com/bradley-e

#7 User is offline   RSDx 

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

Nice review, RaSTuS....but what really got my attention is that p'up ..... what is it??? I like!!!
I have a Wilkinson floating trem in my BMG, have been led to believe that there is a roller version of it, have been too lazy to research as the plain-jane one is working quite well as is. Guess I'ma gonna have to take a few minutes and do an official review of that guitar, albeit it's a non-Epi [scared]

View PostRaSTuS, on 29 July 2011 - 01:53 AM, said:

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   RaSTuS 

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

View PostRSDx, on 29 July 2011 - 02:33 PM, said:

what really got my attention is that p'up ..... what is it??? I like!!!

They are GFS pups, just tried to get a link but their site is down, they're described as "Wild Dog Oversized, Overwound RAUNCHY Humbucker", they are not standard humbucker size though, I already had a set of Kent Armstrong pups to go into this geet, but they wouldn't fit, these ones are longer and narrower than the standard size, they're the only ones I could find to fit. I even toyed with Gretsch style Retrons et al, but they're a different size again.

Some of my collection
A man of many faces !!!
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users