Gibson Brands Forums

My original 1954 Gibson J-160E

charlie brown

I found this, in a small store (Larry Larson Music) in Glendale, California. It was hanging

up, in the back of the store, in pretty bad condition, cosmetically, but was "sound" in construction,

still. I asked the young clerk, what the price was, and he proudly told me $425 dollars. I wrote him

a check, on the spot, and went home with it. A couple days later, I was back in that store, buying

some strings, etc., and when I told the man (older man, than the previous clerk) my name, so he could

make out the receipt, for my purchases, he smiled at me, and said: "You know you "stole" that Gibson,

you bought in here, a couple of days ago...you know that, right?!" It seems his son, was the clerk,

filling in, for his dad, over the lunch hour, at the time I bought the J-160E, and had NO idea, what

it was worth. I told the man, that I had asked, and was told the price, and paid it. He (Larry Larson) then told me, that his son had NO idea, what it was, other than "some old Gibson guitar," and that I was very lucky, indeed! Larry, was a good sport, about it all...if reluctantly. (Smile) A short while later, I took it to Art Valdez, on Sunset Blvd., in Hollywood, who was an authorized Gibson service and repair

luthier (He also designs his own guitars, and has made guitars for a lot of Rock "Stars," including

John Lennon, over the years)...who restored it, in "nitro" for me...for 200 bucks, at that time. So, that's the

story, on my purchase and restoration, of this fine old Gibson.

That "Old Gibson Guitar" (1954 J-160E, with (rare) single ply top!)

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0004-2.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

CB

CB,

It sure looks nice in the pictures. How does it play? I have heard good and bad but your single ply top should be one of the good ones.

Gill

Thanks, Gill. Acoustically, it's just "OK," tone wise. The original ladder bracing was a tone killer..IMHO, back then.

Still, it's better sounding than most, of that orginal model, as it does have the rare (for that model) single ply solid top.

The action, is to die for...like a Les Paul Electric! So, it plays very well...everyone that has played it, comments on it, that way.

The adjustable bridge, is handy, but a bit of a tone killer, too...I think.

Still, I love it, for what it is, and the story behind it, as well. ;>)

CB

I have been watching those all of the time thinking that I should own one but just haven't convinced myself to spend the money. Maybe I'll trade you that Joan Jett one of these days when you get tired of it.

Thanks, Gill. Acoustically, it's just "OK," tone wise. The original ladder bracing was a tone killer..IMHO, back then.

Still, it's better sounding than most, of that orginal model, as it does have the rare (for that model) single ply solid top.

The action, is to die for...like a Les Paul Electric! So, it plays very well...everyone that has played it, comments on it, that way.

The adjustable bridge, is handy, but a bit of a tone killer, too...I think.

Still, I love it, for what it is, and the story behind it, as well. ;>)

CB

Not really meant to be played acoustically, anyway...it should have a certain mojo plugged in.

Very intact, irresistible looks there's even a burst on the back.

When did this happen ?

Saddle material ?

The 2 'coins' ?

It was purchased (and restored), in 1981. Just a few years prior, to the beginning, of all the "Vintage" madness. Those "coin" style/size bridge adjustment knobs, to my knowledge, were only available for a couple of years, before they scaled them down, to the more common, smaller size.

And, Vincent's right...it's not really made to shine, as an acoustic. But, even so, this one sounds pretty good, all things considered. But, it does have that "Beatles" tone, and mojo, in spades! And, it was exactly what I was looking for, at the time, for a great price (mistake, or otherwise). ;>)

CB

I think you were wearing a black bandanna over your face when you snagged that one - a steal for sure.

Great story and a lovely restoration - - - my oh my it looks sooo nice! [thumbup]

Thanks, Kahune...it's been a fun guitar, overall. And, because it was just a "used" guitar, at that time,

I had no reservations, about restoring the finish...or, what that might do, to the "value." To me, making it

"lovely" again, was what I felt it deserved. So...???

Great story! I was wondering what the time-line was. When you finally explained it was in 1981, it made sense. $425 was a good chunk of change back then...even for a J160E of that vintage. I, personally think that you seriously de-valued ( in a purist vintage sense )the guitar by refinishing it.

Oh well... It's your guitar, your 'steal', your 'deal'...!

Worth half of what it 'could be' in the market today.

Great story! I was wondering what the time-line was. When you finally explained it was in 1981, it made sense. $425 was a good chunk of change back then...even for a J160E of that vintage. I, personally think that you seriously de-valued ( in a purist vintage sense )the guitar by refinishing it.Oh well... It's your guitar, your 'steal', your 'deal'...!

Worth half of what it 'could be' in the market today.

Possibly...but, at the time (pre-vintage guitar craze), it was still just a "used" guitar, and the finish

was so badly worn (missing, in lots of places), that I couldn't stand to see it, like that. So, I had

it restored. I didn't buy it, to "collect" or for an investment, anyway. It was to play. I was really

pleased, with the restoration, and I think it looks great! J-160E's aren't really that collectible, any

way. Probably, would be even less so, if it weren't for The Beatles connection. Still, it's a fun guitar

to own, and play. ;>)

CB

A very interesting post....

These guitars have incredible history nowadays

And Beatlemania seems just as powerful

I recently shopped for an Epi 160e and found the quality a bit variable

So my dealer found me a cheap copy by 'Vintage'

This has proven to be a total success with solid build, great acoustic and amped tone

A great guitar for strummed rhythms as well as finger style....

V

:-({|=

• 2 weeks later...

A very interesting post....

These guitars have incredible history nowadays

And Beatlemania seems just as powerful

I recently shopped for an Epi 160e and found the quality a bit variable

So my dealer found me a cheap copy by 'Vintage'

This has proven to be a total success with solid build, great acoustic and amped tone

A great guitar for strummed rhythms as well as finger style....

V

:-({|=

How about some photos, of your "baby," V? I (and I'm sure others) would be interested in

seeing that one.

CB

Possibly...but, at the time (pre-vintage guitar craze), it was still just a "used" guitar, and the finish

was so badly worn (missing, in lots of places), that I couldn't stand to see it, like that. So, I had

it restored. I didn't buy it, to "collect" or for an investment, anyway. It was to play. I was really

pleased, with the restoration, and I think it looks great! J-160E's aren't really that collectible, any

way. Probably, would be even less so, if it weren't for The Beatles connection. Still, it's a fun guitar

to own, and play. ;>)

CB

Ain,t no "possibly" about it Chalie Brown...You "pucked up" as far as 'vintage value' is concerned. Perhaps you were young and dumb, vintage era had not begun, but when it did....you turned your $400 investment into???... :-k instead of [thumbdn] a solid $5000.

at any rate...enjoy! she looks good...

Ain,t no "possibly" about it Chalie Brown...You "pucked up" as far as 'vintage value' is concerned. Perhaps you were young and dumb, vintage era had not begun, but when it did....you turned your $400 investment into???... :-k instead of [thumbdn] a solid $5000.

at any rate...enjoy! she looks good...

LOL...well, F'd up, or not...as stated, it was never FOR an "investment!" None of my guitars are.

Collector's "Value," is what something is worth, to the purchaser...nothing more.

IF they appreciate, great. If not, I still enjoy them. What happens, after I'm

done...that's the next owner's concern. And, your "solid 5 Grand" figure, would have been for

a pristine, to excellent condition J-160E. Not one, in the condition mine was in, prior to it's

"restoration." Anyway..."I ain't worried about it!" ;>)

CB

If you're after that Beatles sound, may I suggest you remove those bronze wound acoustic strings and replace them with flatwound .12 electric guitar strings, such as Thomasek-Infeld Jazz Flats? Despite what it looks like, this is actually an electric guitar

If you're after that Beatles sound, may I suggest you remove those bronze wound acoustic strings and replace them with flatwound .12 electric guitar strings, such as Thomasek-Infeld Jazz Flats? Despite what it looks like, this is actually an electric guitar

Yeah, I know this. But, I play it "acoustically"...or did, mostly.

It was the only "acoustic" guitar I owned, for years. I don't play

acoustic, all that much...and, after a 30+ year hiatus, I barely play

"electric." (Smile)

But, it will be fun to try that, again.

Those strings, are great, as I remember.

Thanks...

CB

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I found this, in a small store (Larry Larson Music) in Glendale, California. It was hanging

up, in the back of the store, in pretty bad condition, cosmetically, but was "sound" in construction,

still. I asked the young clerk, what the price was, and he proudly told me $425 dollars. I wrote him

a check, on the spot, and went home with it. A couple days later, I was back in that store, buying

some strings, etc., and when I told the man (older man, than the previous clerk) my name, so he could

make out the receipt, for my purchases, he smiled at me, and said: "You know you "stole" that Gibson,

you bought in here, a couple of days ago...you know that, right?!" It seems his son, was the clerk,

filling in, for his dad, over the lunch hour, at the time I bought the J-160E, and had NO idea, what

it was worth. I told the man, that I had asked, and was told the price, and paid it. He (Larry Larson) then told me, that his son had NO idea, what it was, other than "some old Gibson guitar," and that I was very lucky, indeed! Larry, was a good sport, about it all...if reluctantly. (Smile) A short while later, I took it to Art Valdez, on Sunset Blvd., in Hollywood, who was an authorized Gibson service and repair

luthier (He also designs his own guitars, and has made guitars for a lot of Rock "Stars," including

John Lennon, over the years)...who restored it, in "nitro" for me...for 200 bucks, at that time. So, that's the

story, on my purchase and restoration, of this fine old Gibson.

That "Old Gibson Guitar" (1954 J-160E, with (rare) single ply top!)

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0004-2.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

CB

Great to read this man.Beautifull guitar.

Id rather a nice nitro refinish with a solid top than a battered original perfect sunburst to look at every day.

I tried the newish Gibson John Lennon reissue ,two of them,similar to this which came with nickel strings..i thought it sounded pretty nice & played beautifully.

And it should be considered an electric acoustic guitar.

$425 in 1981 was a good amount of money ...

When the guy said "stole it" he was probably thinking $5-600

$450 was about the price for a 57' Gibson Les Paul Jr. at the time in NY city.

In outskirt areas less..

I passed on two 50's Les Paul Juniors in nice shape at Wilcox Trading Post in downtown Lansing Michigan in 1982-3 cause I had one, and was looking for a Pre CbS Strat.

They were have able for $285 & $335(asking $335/$385)

• 1 year later...

I guess, I should have taken detailed photos, of it, in the condition it was in,

when I first bought it. You'd better understand WHY I decided to have it "restored."

There was hardly any, of the original finish on it. And, what was left, was cracking

an peeling off. So, finish wise, it was a true "basket case!" But, structurally, it

was just fine. So, I chose to restore it. I would have probably done that, anyway,

even if I had known, at the time, the "Vintage" craze was about to take off. So, I'm

not sorry, at all, I "devalued" it, from a collector's standpoint. It wasn't purchased

for that reason, at all. And, I think it turned out real well. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Archived