Gibson Brands Forums

Wilshire Mod

jags

I just want to share my Mod idea for my Wilshire Pro. Just waiting for parts right now. I call it my Tone Monster Mod! Here is the diagram:

wilshirediagram.jpg

The concept is as follows:

The 3-way selector becomes a humbucker / single coil selector. This is done by using a special on-on-on toggle. Positions for the neck and bridge respectably are:

1 - Humbucker / Humbucker

2 - Single / Humbucker

3 - Single / Single

I know I loose the Humbucker / Single option but with everything else that will happen that's OK.

Next we have a master volume with a phase reverse switch. This along with the 3-way toggle should offer up quite a few tonal options.

We now add a pickup blend pot since we got rid of the original 3-way pickup selector switch. Instead of using a selector switch and volume for each pickup, the blend pot gives us the same varialbility but gives us the luxery of having the master volume to easily adjust the level of everything.

Now we move on to the tone section. First comes a standard tone control but with a twist. Selectable capacitors! I call it the Dual Switched Tone Control. It will give the guitar a standard tone roll-off with the .047 mfd capacitor and a more mellow tone roll-off when switched to the .0068 capacitor.

Finally we add a Rothstein Platinum Lab V6 Varitone (for Guitar). This varitone sounds amazing and when used in conjuction with the Dual Switched Tone Control will allow the guitar to create a multitude of different tonal colors.

So let me know what you all think. Does anyone see any problems with my diagram? Has any one ever done anything similar? I'll keep you all posted as I start putting it together.

Thanks!

I haven't really got much in the way of ideas or comments for you regarding your project but I didn't like to see your first post go unanswered so welcome to the Epiphone forum. Looks like a very interesting idea for getting the most out of a Wilshire. I did a similar mod on a different guitar a number of years ago, albeit without the two caps and the varitone,and it did give some interesting results. My biggest bugbear with it was that it was too complex a setup with too many options for live use (for me anyhow). Good for recording or practice but live, no. I wish you luck with it anyhow and hope you enjoy the result. There's a good section here on modding your Epiphone if you feel like doing any future upgrades.

A bit over my head but welcome to the forum! Looks interesting. I think you made the right decision with the single/humbucker. That's what I would go for if I ever had to decide. Please keep us updated with some pics of the mod and hopefully a video at the end showing what it can do!

• 2 weeks later...

The Mod is Finnished!!

This thing sounds awesome! Just like I expected the Varitone really gives some wonderful variation to the tone. The 3-way pickup selector works great to choose H/H S/H or S/S. The phase reverse adds an entire new palatte of sound with the thinner dropped out lows. The dual tone control gives either a subtle or drastic tone variation to the overall sound. The blend knob makes it easy to select which pickup is used or a combination of both. And the master volume controls everything. I call her "The Green Tone Monster"!!

It is very easy to dial in exactly what you want. My friend, who is a pro guitar player, was ammazed with the tonal variation and the simplicity to dial things in. He has already asked me to build him one just like this.

Here is a pic of the main control section. I left it as a hi-res so that you can enlarge and see the detail. Notice the dual oil caps on the tone control and how the inductor from the Varitone tucks in neatly below them. It's all a tight squeeze but it does fit.

EW2.jpg

Here is a wider shot showing all the electronics including the special 3-way selector switch.

EW1s.jpg

Here is the finished install. Notice the cool chicken head knob for the Varitone and the new replacement knobs for the other controls. These look a lot cleaner and match up with the chicken head a lot better than the stock control knobs.

EW3s.jpg

Thanks again for letting me share this with all of you. Please leave any comments or suggestions. Below is the wiring diagram once again for reference.

Thanks!

wilshirediagram.jpg

You're right, it does look good. Nice tidy wiring job as well. How about posting a couple of sound clips?

Easier said than done. All my recording gear is back in L.A. Don't really have a way to get good sound clips into this little netbook. Also I'm a drummer and not a guitar player so my playing would be very questionable! My guitar player friend has some gear, plus he can play, so I'll see if I can get down to his place and get a few clips recorded.

The tidy wiring is a neccesity when dealing with so much stuff in so little space. It did end up just having enough space.

Thanks for the comments!! :)

Archived