Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson guitar picks - well worth trying !

EuroAussie

Over weekend I did my annual pilgrimage to Thomann music, the biggest guitar shop in Europe and one of Gibsons key customers.

I didnt have an agenda to buy anything (although almost did, more of that later).

I tried three Gibsons that I was curious about. J-200 standard, AJ and HB TV.

Played them all, each sounded oustanding, but what really grabbed me after talking to the head of acoustics for some time was when he handed me a Gibson guitar pick.

Ive been using mainly Tortex .73mm, the yellow ones and have been generally satisfied. He handed me the medium black Gibson guitar picks and I was astounded what a difference it made. Compared to the Tortex the Gibson pick captured the pure essence of the guitars (it was the AJ and HB TV) in this case, as if the Tortex had a filter.

Suffice to say I was super impressed with this pick and thought it made a really significant improvement to the tone. And I can tell you I have been experimenting with picks a lot in the past.

The other thing I wanted to comment was just how impresse I was by the HB TV. Even though this guitar had quite worn strings and from the first strum it was everything i was expecting and more. Such a warm, rich honey glazed tone, just amazingly impressive. For a momenet I thought Id get it ... but then I held back, and glad I did. I have to admit with the HB's the TV version is significantly stronger compared to the standards that Ive played. Well worth the investment.

I also played an Advanced Jumbo. And Im glad I did because ive had a poor run with AJ's. However this one was a cannon as all AJ's are, very loud but was wonderfully balanced and responsive. Warmth and clarity, not muddy how some othe AJ's Ive come across. Have to admit Ive become a fan !

Anyway, back to oringal point ... give the Gibson picks a try, well worth it. Tried it on the SWD and SJ back home and its an instant winner.

Much has been written about the effects that different picks, pick material, and pick thickness have on tone. I've tried many varieties myself. I always wind up preferring the Gibson picks (I like the triangle shape myself), just as I prefer Gibson Masterbuilt strings. I reckon that a Gibson guitar strung with Gibson strings and played with a Gibson picks is about as Gibsony sounding as Gibson intended. It's a sound I like, anyway, though I wouldn't for a second presume that any of my favorite Gibson-wielding artists get the tone I love from them that way : )

Red 333

Yes, no quesion about that, its definitely worth and fun in experiment with picks and strings. They just have such a massive effect on tone.

I was really glad to have received this tip about Gibson picks.

Interestingly this gentemen (lovelly chap with 4o years playing experience) also highly recommends J-200 strings, he rates them much higher than Masterbuilts. Hence I bought a couple packets to try out on my SWD which is the only guitar where im still not 100% sure of the right strings for it. He swears by the J-200's on his own AJ. Looking forward to giving them a go !

Much has been written about the effects that different picks, pick material, and pick thickness have on tone. I've tried many varieties myself. I always wind up preferring the Gibson picks (I like the triangle shape myself), just as I prefer Gibson Masterbuilt strings. I reckon that a Gibson guitar strung with Gibson strings and played with a Gibson picks is about as Gibsony sounding as Gibson intended. It's a sound I like, anyway, though I wouldn't for a second presume that any of my favorite Gibson-wielding artists get the tone I love from them that way : )

Red 333

Yes, no quesion about that, its definitely worth and fun in experiment with picks and strings. They just have such a massive effect on tone.

I was really glad to have received this tip about Gibson picks.

Interestingly this gentemen (lovelly chap with 4o years playing experience) also highly recommends J-200 strings, he rates them much higher than Masterbuilts.

I use both J-200's and Masterbuilts, but I don't perceive that much difference. I don't know this for certain, but I THINK the only difference is just that the J-200's have silk-wrapped ball ends. Maybe that makes a bigger difference on some guitars tonally that it seems to make on mine. I have heard a few people who have used both, and prefer the J-200's, though.

Anyone else hear a difference between them, and what is it?

Red 333

Lots of tonal variations hiding in that big fat pick, feels like a natural extension of my fingers.

I use the Heavy triangle Gibson picks and find them very controlable

And unlike most picks, there is room for 2 fingers for variation of pick angle etc

V

:-({|=

I switch picks all the time. Mostly these days I use a Dunlop thumbpick. Took a bit to get used to using it when I strum...I have a pretty....dynamic...right hand. But, once I got comfy with it I liked it.

I'm currently in the process of making some Corian picks....figuring out the right thickness at this point. May be worth the time, may be a total waste. I come to use a really heavy pick any more...

ps...I use different picks on different guitars. Makes a difference to my ears.

Archived