Gibson Brands Forums

What year is this custom shop Les Paul?

mluk27

Hi everyone this is my first post so go easy on me. I am looking at this what supposedly is a 1976 Gibson Les Paul custom, but I entered the serial into this serial matcher online and it says its a 1959 approx. the serial number is 950983. If it isnt a 59 anyone has an idea of what year it might be? Also I was wondering if any of you would think this is a good buy, its a beater with out original parts and was restored. The guy is selling it for 1000, I just want a good sounding LP. Also if anyone has suggestions what I should look out for if this is real or not that would be helpful. Here are some pics. Thank you

post-34878-096152400 1312221298_thumb.jpg

post-34878-043215800 1312221421_thumb.jpg

Hey there, welcome to the Gibson forums!

regarding the guitar, it looks like a counterfeit gibson.

the frets travel over the neck binding

the bridge isnt correct

the 4-piece top looks terrible

the tuners were installed poorly

I would notify police and send an email to gibson customer service.

selling counterfeits is illegal and stupid.

you can get a used gibson les paul studio for around 1000, and those are REALLY nice les pauls,

I used to have one myself.

dont be dissapointed, fakes are worthless [thumbdn]

sorry if I dissapointed you, but it is what is is.

again, welcome to the forums, and hope you have fun here!

Beast [biggrin]

Guest farnsbarns

Definitely fake. Logo wrong, split diamond wrong, top wrong, epi bridge, no bridge angle, frets over binding.

Edit: could be a really bad refinished Norlin with bad mods. Worthless either way.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone this is my first post so go easy on me. I am looking at this what supposedly is a 1976 Gibson Les Paul custom, but I entered the serial into this serial matcher online and it says its a 1959 approx. the serial number is 950983. If it isnt a 59 anyone has an idea of what year it might be? Also I was wondering if any of you would think this is a good buy, its a beater with out original parts and was restored. The guy is selling it for 1000, I just want a good sounding LP. Also if anyone has suggestions what I should look out for if this is real or not that would be helpful. Here are some pics. Thank you

Are the covers on the back clear blue plexiglas? And are those filled holes between the knobs? I ask because I had one stolen that looked like this;

My1972LesPaulCustomfinished.jpg

Been looking for it a long time. It was last seen in Indio, Cal. and was headed for Denver at the time.

It had a 30-watt preamp in the back from 1977 with a sticker that said it was designed for me. If that IS mine I can't explain the straight bridge? Unless it was redone by a moron? I had it refretted in 1978 with super jumbos. One other thing, if you take off the machineheads, I scratched my name under all of them. I changed them from Grovers to Schallers in '76. The serial number looks familiar, but it's been so long I don't really remember?

In all fairness it would be really hard to tell from just those 2 pics. It does have some things that appear right for a '76...but it also has some problems.

The logo for some during the 70's were different-I don't have any pics to look at for a reference, but I would want to see some before I assumed it meant anything. The spacing of the tuners looks right (again..different during the Norlin 70's). The truss rod cover is wrong, but this headstock appears to have been broken and repaired. It is missing binding.

The top is curious, but if it was originally a solid color I would not rule it out. We already know that the parts are not origonal, so they can not tell anything. The pic does not show enough of the bridge to be able to see if the studs have had some work as well.

The serial# common for a 75-77 I think is an 8 digit number.

It does not seem to have enough of the original guitar left to easily look at it and KNOW it is authentic, so if you really need to know, you might have to put some effort to it. At the very least on your end, you are going to need a lot of pics.

Archived