Gibson Brands Forums

CJ-165 vs. J-185

Bilco

Hi folks,

It's almost time to add something to my one-guitar collection (which is a Martin rosewood dread) and I'm considering making it a Gibson. I've heard alot of good things about new Gibson accoustics over the last couple years.

I've never had the chance to play or even hear either of these in person. I have read the specs, though. I think I want short scale as it might help my stiffening-with-age fingers function and feel a little better. I know I like maple since I like the J-200s I've played.

Please give me a little feedback on what you like or dislike about each of these models and how they might differ from each other. Thanks, Bilco

The CJ-165 is in many ways a smaller-bodied J-185. They both have short scale necks but the fingerboard and bridge material differs between ebony (165) and rosewood (185). The CJ-165 normally has no pickguard (although mine does). The CJ-165 has a compact feel to it that is missing in the larger J models.

I had both and I had to sell one. I kept the CJ-165. Mine is sunburst finish rosewood back/sides and all things considered its one of the best guitars I have ever played. The ebony makes for a 'fast' fretboard and it's a comfortable guitar to play due to its size. It sounds fantastic and I'm sure a maple version would also.

Just a very minor clarification to Nevada's reply. The Maple CJ-165 comes with a Rosewood fretboard while his Rosewood models fretboard is ebony. I am not sure why they spec'd different fretboard materials for the two models......but they did. I have the Maple and while the rosewood fretboard is fine...I sure wish it could have been ebony.

Secondly I believe the CJ-165 comes with the pick guard in the case so that if you prefer one you can install it. I play with my fingers so I have put the pick guard away in a safe place.

I love my CJ-165 and cannot recommend them enough !

Archived