Gibson Brands Forums

Coil Splitting Custom?

Marshall Paul

I was just kind of wondering if there was anyone out there who could help me here please. I recently bought a beautiful Epi Custom ebony and when I recieved it there was this round piece of paper around both volume pots that said 'coil tapping'. I wasn't aware of this on purchase. I've found out that they are coil splitting push/pull pots. I am still happy with it because it gives me more sounds to play around with however, there was no instruction with this and I'm having trouble figuring out what split goes with what pot and switching position etc.

Anybody else out there have one of these and know how it all works?

Hi Cricket.

The 2 knobs on the bottom control bridge pup. The 2 on top control the neck pup. One controls volume, one controls tone.

When you lift the volume knob it turns the double coil into a single coil. You can do this with just one pup, or both.

The switch works the same regardless if you have a split coil configuration. In the down position it works the bridge, in the up it works the neck pup. In the middle it uses both.

Hope this helps. [biggrin]

Brad

HNGD!

I am not aware of a Custom with push/pull pots but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Where did you buy it from?

If it's on the volume pots, then the top one should be for the neck pickup, whilst the bottom one should be for the bridge pickup.

So, if you have your selector switch on rhythm that's the neck pickup, if it's on treble that's the bridge.

Does this answer your question?

Oh and you know that no pictures... it didn't happen [biggrin]

EDIT: Brad was quicker... [biggrin]

Hi Cricket.

The 2 knobs on the bottom control bridge pup. The 2 on top control the neck pup. One controls volume, one controls tone.

When you lift the volume knob it turns the double coil into a single coil. You can do this with just one pup, or both.

The switch works the same regardless if you have a split coil configuration. In the down position it works the bridge, in the up it works the neck pup. In the middle it uses both.

Hope this helps. [biggrin]

Brad

Thanks Ludwig, I think I have it figured then. Everything as is normal whether a pup's been split or normal then. I'll have another play around with it tomorrow and see if it goes like that.

HNGD!

I am not aware of a Custom with push/pull pots but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Where did you buy it from?

If it's on the volume pots, then the top one should be for the neck pickup, whilst the bottom one should be for the bridge pickup.

So, if you have your selector switch on rhythm that's the neck pickup, if it's on treble that's the bridge.

Does this answer your question?

Oh and you know that no pictures... it didn't happen [biggrin]

EDIT: Brad was quicker... [biggrin]

Thanks Xaj, bought it at home here in Perth, Australia. Was in the shop marked clearance special and even though I already have one, I couldn't resist. My first one didn't have this splitting function so thats what threw me.

I've never seen one of these in person, but I think that someone else here bought one a while back with coil splitting and I've seen other reports of them on other boards.

Does it have the new ProBuckers? I'm wondering if Epiphone is going to eventually offer some kind of splitting on all of the guitars that get them rather than just on the Traditional Pro?

I've never seen one of these in person, but I think that someone else here bought one a while back with coil splitting and I've seen other reports of them on other boards.

Does it have the new ProBuckers? I'm wondering if Epiphone is going to eventually offer some kind of splitting on all of the guitars that get them rather than just on the Traditional Pro?

Not really sure. I hear it's standard kit for the Traditional Pro but I wasn't aware it is occasionaly put in some others like mine.

The pups are just the standard 57 Classic and 57 Classic Plus. Sound great in both full and split mode. It's actually a blast to play around with, I might consider throwing some more push/pull pots in some of my other Epi LP's.

I actually thought coil splitting was goofy for some reason. I think I played a guitar in my formative years that had coil splitting that made the guitar sound worse or something. I bought a 4 wire humbucker by accident and my guitar guy hooked it up and now I am sold!!

Yeah it's kind of goofy but fun eh! Try playing along the lead to Joe Walsh's "Life's Been Good" with the neck full and the bridge split. Sounds great!

coil spliting is when you make a humbucker into a single coil coit tap is when yoou eliminate the number of wrapes

Thats right. Tapping is done by adding a feeder wire into the wraps and effectivly grounding part of the coil. Would be like unwrapping some wire out of it.

I actually thought coil splitting was goofy for some reason. I think I played a guitar in my formative years that had coil splitting that made the guitar sound worse or something. I bought a 4 wire humbucker by accident and my guitar guy hooked it up and now I am sold!!

Some pickups respond better to coil splitting than others.

That's a new one on me,I thought that the coil tap feature was only available on the Traditional Pro like I have. Having said that having a Les Paul with coil tap makes it one of the most versatile guitars that I have now.I no longer have to change guitars between songs if I need a single coil sound.BTW I find that the single coil sound isn't Strat like but more like a Jag/Mustang cross.

I thought the Aussies are early adopters of techy gizmos !!!

My strugle with coil splitting should be evidence enough!

The last time I had to seriously study anything was way back in the 70's when the wah pedal came into it's own.

The last time I had to seriously study anything was way back in the 70's when the wah pedal came into it's own.

Geeze Louise, was you around the Oz music scene in Sydney in the '70s, if so we've probably rubbed shoulders many times, do you remember Chequers ???

Geeze Louise, was you around the Oz music scene in Sydney in the '70s, if so we've probably rubbed shoulders many times, do you remember Chequers ???

Always remembered going in but never comming out! Pity it's no longer around.

Also used to sail with a bloke had the same name in the grey funnel sailing club just down the road!

Always remembered going in but never comming out! Pity it's no longer around.

Also used to sail with a bloke had the same name in the grey funnel sailing club just down the road!

The Oz music scene in the '70s was off the planet, no matter where you went there was always a live band playing, I miss those days so much.

The Oz music scene in the '70s was off the planet, no matter where you went there was always a live band playing, I miss those days so much.

Yeah it was good eh. So much good stuff came out of that time, it was hard to keep up. RIP Shirl the Curl!

I see your in a good part of FNG - Hydro Pilots still there?

Archived