Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J150?

Kylef

Looking to get a decent acoustic soon, and a Gibson Jumbo would be the dream. Having had a search, it seems these J150's were a cheaper but contender against the J200. It now appears they are discontinued.

How popular were they? I might keep a watch on ebay to see if one appears, as theres none at the moment.

It now appears they are discontinued.

They're still in production. There was a name change to "J-200 Studio" (on the theory that J-200 Standard is to J-150 as Les Paul Standard is to Les Paul Studio).

Sales of the J-150 were always small compared to sales of the J-200, I believe, so you're not going to see nearly as many on eBay.

Good luck!

-- Bob R

If I was going to get a Gibson jumbo a used J-150 would be on the top of my list.

Love the way it looks, simple yet still has the things i want in the tulip tuners and the patchwork on the pickguard without the bling.

Especially if it sounds anything like this one ...

• 2 weeks later...

They are still being produced, but as Bob wrote - the name is now the J-200 Studio -

Listed on the Gibson website - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Super-Jumbo/Gibson-Acoustic/J-200-Studio.aspx

In stock at GC - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-SJ-200-Studio-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-106690274-i1441109.gc?esid=j-200+studio

And at Sweetwater - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SJ5SANNH

Among other dealers.

Don't know what they're doing with the J150 now, but I got mine some 7-8 years ago. Back then it was rosewood and that's the reason I got it instead of the maple J200. Had most of the bling of the J200 and the fancy pickguard. My only regret is that I couldn't find a sunburst then, but i play it a great deal and it's a keeper of a guitar. I have played it (one time) with a guy playing a J200 maple and the rosewood definitly had more volumn and bass, BUT, others might prefer the more crisp tones of maple. It's a very individual/personal choice. If you can find one that speaks to you, I wouldn't hesitate one moment....but that's me. You get what you want. [thumbup]

I was 30 mins from buying a 2004 J-150.

I prefer it to the J-200 studio as it has the tulip tuners, flower pickguard and came in sunburst. All which the Studio sadly doesn't seem to offer.

Best of all, price is more than 50% less than a new J-200 standard.

When I received a response from the guitar shop (chicago) they said it was sold. When I gave them hell that they are crap for advertising guitars which are already sold and ruining expectations they reckoned they sold it 30 mins before my enquiry and dint have time to take it off their website.

Go figure.

When I received a response from the guitar shop (chicago) they said it was sold. When I gave them hell that they are crap for advertising guitars which are already sold and ruining expectations they reckoned they sold it 30 mins before my enquiry and dint have time to take it off their website.

Go figure.

Irritating – My '63 SJ is still on the Gbase inventory of the American shop I bought it from 1 year ago. The shop itself unfortunately has closed down (at least their web-site has), but they have some goodies left, , , or do they – how on earth is one suppose to know when just passing their 'window'. . .

Wow, that is a tough song to sing PM, especially when he gets high on those nah na nahs' - how did it go ?

This exact Dakota version we actually cover ourselves except we capo on the 2nd rather than the 4th, it goes down very well, great track, here's a version of it from a recent gig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf3bvb6q18Q

Will be doing this very song on our next gig. Quite smitten by the live lounge acoustic Dakota as well though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE_DLsxh4lo

For me the guitar in Sarah Jaffee's song is superb. Wish she has done some fingerpicking to highlight the highs, but her strumming with just her fingers was excellent for the meloncholy feeling I get from the song. The guitar matched her voice perfectly in setting the tone and mood for the song. For nothing but bare finger strumming, the guitar had lots of sound and to my ears was really sweet. We all like different things and I did like this video.

Wow, that is a tough song to sing PM, especially when he gets high on those nah na nahs' - how did it go ?

This exact Dakota version we actually cover ourselves except we capo on the 2nd rather than the 4th, it goes down very well, great track, here's a version of it from a recent gig.

We've not done it yet EA, singer recovering from tonsillectomy surgery at the minute, running about 60-70% at the minute, hopefully it'll be better in a week or two then we can plan the next gig. Good job on Dakota by the way. msp_thumbup.gif

Archived