Gibson Brands Forums

Review - Epiphone Nighthawk

Guitar: 2011 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue in Honeyburst - Indonesia factory product

Price: £289

Features:

"The Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue, Electric Guitar, is essentially a combination of an SG (lower bout and thinner body) and a Les Paul (upper bout). Like those classic guitars, it features a solid Mahogany body (with added "belly" scarf for comfort) and a glued-in SlimTaper Mahogany neck giving it a well rounded, warm tone with excellent sustain"

■ Body Material: Mahogany

■ Top Material: AAA Flame Maple Veneer

■ Neck Material: Mahogany

■ Neck Shape: SlimTaper ; D-shaped

■ Neck Joint: Glued-In

■ Truss Rod: Adjustable

■ Scale Length: 25.5"

■ Fingerboard Material: Ebony with mother-of-pearl "Crown" inlays

■ Fingerboard Radius: 12"

■ Frets: 22; medium-jumbo

■ Bridge Pickup: Slant NHT Humbucker; 4-wire

■ Middle Pickup: NSX Single-Coil

■ Neck Pickup: NHR Mini-Humbucker; 4-wire

■ Controls: 5-Way Slider, Master Volume, Master Tone with Push/Pull Coil Tapping

■ Bridge: Nighthawk fully-adjustable; String-Thru body

■ Nut Width: 1-11/16"

■ Hardware: Nickel

■ Binding: Body and Fingerboard

■ Machine Heads: Grover 14: ratio

■ Includes: User's Manual, Truss Rod Wrench, Economy Cord, Epiphone Poster, Epiphone Bumper Sticker

Action, fit, finish [8/10]:

Unlike most Epi's this was made in Indonesia and have to say it shows!

The finish build for the price is very impressive made of 4 piece wood my example has no signs of cutting corners and looks like its worth ALOT more than what I paid for it.

The Action was preset prior to me getting it (Being the show off model it was setup on the first day) It has a low action but this for me makes it easier to play as less pressure is required

The neck is like glass in you hand and provides little resistance when moving up and down, D in profile it does have the feel of a short scale like a 22" Fender Mustang but it isn't...

The fit is a cross between a SG & Les Paul, much lighter than the 2 combined it has 2 advantages as a result it won't nose dive & is very comfortable to play for prolonged durations

On a negative you do get some fret buzz when going through the frets on the bass stings but thats a likely side effect of the low action...

Sound [9/10]:

With a coil tap the guitar produces 9 variantions of output from bright fender tone to nice bitting muddy hums, theirs a sound for most ears.

Personally I like the idea of coil tapping with humbucker to get the unmistakable Peter Green Output, but this small instrument produces so much variety its had to kick it down on its output

For me its a great go to instrument for trying out new sounds and effects.

Reliability and durability [8/10]:

The build of the guitar as I've said is outstanding however it has one drawback and that is its electronics, because costs have to be made somewhere the pots, jack, pickup & strat style toggle are on the cheap side of the market. Not to say that they aren't well made I'm always worrying that the wiring might fail or a key part like the jack or toggle will cease to work because looking inside you see the wiring is somewhat thin and the key electronics are basic in nature.

But as yet I have had no problems with this and so for now at least I am quite happy.

Moding Potential

Pickup wise the only options are Dimazio's in 57 and Burstbucker styles

The Single coil & mini humbucker are standard ones so theirs plenty of variety.

The only initial recommendations I would make are to add a better toggle & thicker wiring.

Impressions [10/10]:

Overall this is the perfect experimentation guitar out their today without a doubt.

For the money I can not really surgest another model to compare (Bar a £632 Pawn Mustang) for the choice in sound output

The build is very well crafted and you can see that alot of love has gone into this and it doesn't have the fell of being mass produced.

Its has some minor flaws but they are easily remedied

The "Monkey Lord Review" & Image:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nOgNCI4wtQ

sdc11243qt.jpg

You DO need one of these, Brian ... trust us! [thumbup]

Solid ... that was an excellent review. I think you pretty much NAILED it for anyone looking for the "straight skinny" on that guitar. The Nighthawk is a pretty tough guitar to pigeon-hole and I think you gave a very clear and fair report of it's strengths and few shortcomings!

Well done!

Jim

Sany0025-1.jpg

So far I'm hearing good thoughts regarding the Nighthawk from

forum members who have bought one. They're affordable, and based on what

I'm hearing, they're also quite playable.

There are no EPI dealers locally, so I either have to make a blind faith

purchase, or drive 3 or more hours to get to a store that has one, just to

play it.

My next option is to rely on reviews by others, looking for as much feedback

as I can get.

SS1 - your review echos what I've heard thru other threads lately about the

NightHawk... It must BE a fun guitar to own!!!!

[thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Pretty much nail on head BUT.......

Is it not 9 varaitions of pickups.

The Single isn't a normal single coil it's actually half a 'bucker and mounted through the two holes between the outer pole pieces. Seymour Duncan say they are a custom job. $100 dollars 4 week turn around.

And isn't the only after market pups for the Slant Bridge the SD '59s ad JB. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only others I have seen have been modified jobs. Would love to see more options.

Sorry to argue but its only 8 the coil tapping only effects the mini & slanted humbucker so the single has no tonal difference at all... (I did test this so I can assure you of this)

[ Mini - Mini & Single - Single - Humbucker & Single - Humbucker ] are the toggle settings

I'm pleased to see their are more options for upgrades than I surgested tho [thumbup]

Sorry to argue but its only 8 the coil tapping only effects the mini & slanted humbucker so the single has no tonal difference at all... (I did test this so I can assure you of this)

[ Mini - Mini & Single - Single - Humbucker & Single - Humbucker ] are the toggle settings

I'm pleased to see their are more options for upgrades that I surgested tho [thumbup]

5way switch. 5 +5 =10. But one is with the tap pulled is the same as one with tap down (The middle) so 10-1=9

Pickup-Selection-Modes.jpg

Have you a link to the Dimazzis I haven't been able to find one.

Right now we got that sorted where did you see the Dimazzies . Alwways liked the ones in my Mates Jako if the slant versions are the same as his I might just have to drop a few quid on it.

And it would be a good excuse to add in another push pull for neck/bridge. [wub]

I do this regularly as I make spelling mistakes and have to come back into the posts to make amendments.

I type fast for a living so to me its a case of type fast edit later with a look over.

Why not just wait until you know what you are talking about and have time to type it out properly before posting? It seems to me like that would save you a lot of trouble and confusion. [biggrin]

I've been wanting to try one of these ever since they were announced earlier this year. My local Guitar Center doesn't have any (they're an Epiphone dealer; they just don't have any Nighthawks in stock), so I might have to order one sight-unseen. I almost bought a Gibson 3-pickup Nighthawk Custom back in the mid-'90's--the only thing that stopped me was that I wasn't gigging much and I couldn't justify spending the money. When they discontinued them a few years later, I figured I'd pick up a used one somewhere, but they never turn up for sale--I guess the guys that have them aren't getting rid of them! I don't blame them--I think it's one of Gibson's best designs. So what do they do? They come up with an Epiphone version of the exact Nighthawk model I want (the Gibsons were available in Special and Standard trim levels, as well as Custom--and in 2-pickup versions as well as 3--I want the 3-pickup Custom, and that's what they've done--good job, Epiphone!). The price is right too, but I'd like to try one, preferrably several, before I plunk down my hard-earned. Still, I think there's one in my future.

That Anderton's video review was very cool--informative, and funny! I've seen those guys doing other reviews on YouTube, and they're always cool to watch--next best thing to an actual hands-on. I'd be curious to see other reviews from Nighthawk owners.

I'd be curious to see other reviews from Nighthawk owners.

I'm a Tele guy and bought the Nighthawk on a lark, since I found a blem model at $285 delivered. Somewhat of a risk regarding the blem...but I can't find it. It looks perfect (Honeyburst). I can't find an obvious Tele tone in the 9 options, though a few of them sound something between a Strat and a Tele. It's an okay compromise. I absolutely love the Nighthawk. Haven't looked at my beloved

Telecasters since I got it. The mini-HB is nice and creamy for clean jazz tones. About the only thing I don't like is the bridge pickup on clean, which I find to be very weak. It rocks with the dirt pedals on, but clean...no use. Otherwise, I agree with the excellent review above with the only exception being that there is indeed a serious neck dive if you don't use a leather strap. One of those cheapo web straps won't serve you well with the Nighthawk. But with a 2.5" or 3" suede strap, no problem with dive and the guitar is so light that you can play it all night without getting tired. I had to get used to the smaller and modified LP shape--at first it seemed more like a Guitar Hero guitar, but you get used to it quickly. The build quality is way above the $400 street price. Do yourself a favor and install some strap locks, too, because in typical Gibby fashion, those strap buttons are pretty close to the body if your strap is on the thicker side.

Those of you not near a GC or a dealer with stock, the on-line sellers seem to have plenty and usually with no tax and free delivery. It you watch for a blem model like I did, it's virtually no risk for 285 bucks. Just do it! You won't be sorry. I never thought I'd put my Teles aside but the Nighthawk quickly became my #1. I play rock, funk, blues, and jazz, and the NH can do them all.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff--thanks for the reply. It's a little disconcerting to hear about the lack of volume on the bridge pickup clean (and I assume you mean single-coil). From trying Gibson Nighthawks back in the '90's, I remember a slight volume drop when switching to single-coil mode, and that's to be expected, but it wasn't a huge drop. Well, I suppose I could drop in one of the new Seymour Duncan replacements if I needed to. I'm a Tele player too, and having a good twangy bridge pickup is very important to me, and the Nighthawk strikes me as being sort of a Tele on steroids. Pickups have been known to go bad, too--does yours balance with the others in humbucking mode? How about the neck pickup--does it also lose a lot of level in single-coil mode? I've had to tweak pickup heights on every guitar I've ever had, and dealing with dual-to-single-coil switching can make it that much tougher to dial in. That's why I'd ideally like to try several Nighthawks before I commit to one--maybe this low-output thing is an isolated case, maybe they're all like that--I just don't know! The one in the video review on YouTube from Anderton's (UK) sounds fine, although I did notice a volume drop when they switched the humbuckers to single-coil. No way around that--you are shutting off half the pickup, after all!

• 3 months later...

Ordered an Epi nighthawk. Beautiful with great tone but the neck (slim?) felt way too thick and I sold it. It would not kill Gibson/Epiphone to use consistent clear language to describe their neck types,particularly when it's a new model you can only get online.

• 1 year later...

I bought a Nighthawk. I loved the look/feel and overall playability. I wanted to change out all of the pups. I get a little extreme with mods. I planned a med. output mini'hum from Seymour. In the middle I planned routing and installing a quality P-90. Bringing up the rear was to be dual Lace Sensors with the mini-toggle for the 3 Lacehoices. That would make an outstanding sound in any position. Unfortunately, the cost of it all was discouraging. It was a unique idea setup though! Peace!

No serious neck-dive? Not sure what guitar you're talking about but that's the Nighthawk's biggest issue. I even tried one of these but after 3 days went back to my Aircell strap. That and about 300grams of washers hanging from the strap where it attaches to the body works just fine.

Over all I'd say this is one of the best, if not the best - playing guitar I've ever owned. Seriously. Of course, that was after some serious modding in the pickup department. The only pickup that I really found useful was the middle pickup. The HB just didn't have any guts and the sound wasn't very distinctive to my ears. Once that was replaced with a Strat pickup the mini-hum seemed to be pretty much useless for my needs. Now that its been replaced all I can say is the middle pickup is now in danger of going bye-bye as well. Benson Customs makes an exact placement for only $40 that is tempting. I did find the finish on the neck to be annoying so I took some 0000 steel wool and knocked off the shine a bit and now it just flies.

I do wish Gibson/Epiphone would use this guitar as platform to expand upon. I could see a version with 2 or 3 mini-hums and a nice tobacco sunburst finish with a neck-thru design [ala the Firebird]. How about a nice goth-style design with a black matte finish with cream trim and P-90's with cream covers? Why not go all the way and make a more Fender-style guitar by having one with 3 Strat-style pickups or 2 Tele-type pickups instead of this "3 guitars-in-one" design? [believe me it doesn't really work.] While you're at it you could also do an Esquire version as well incorporating Bill Lawrence's favorite guitar set-up? Then you'd really have all the bases covered.

Just one thing: DON'T DO ANYTHING TO CHANGE THE NECK PROFILE!!! Otherwise, this guitar would be completely useless IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm REALLY pleased with mine. It arrived yesterday.

Having played a Les Paul Recording since 1973 I found that this is something I wished I had gotten wise to the first time around.

I'm going to see what it can do without mods before going down that road. Fresh set of strings and some Intonation adjustment is all that it needs right now.

Neck dive is not a problem and it is NINE sounds, although I have already decided on the four or five that I like best.

I like CLEAN SOUNDS.

DG

TwoEpis.jpg

TwoEpisBacks.jpg

I am also very pleased with my Epi Nighthawk.

Many people say this is Stratocaster and Les Paul in a single guitar. I am not sure about Strat (I don't have one), but to my ear, my Epi LP Studio sounds different. This may a bit be caused by strings (D'Addario EXL120 in LP and EPS520 in NH), but nevertheless these guitars do not sound the same. What I must say, NH has a loooong sustain, much longer than, e.g., Ibanez RG270. I play mainly overdriven sound and I find bridge humbucker quite useful for hard rock and even metal sound. For solos, the most useful configurations are IMO humbucker (either neck or bridge) + single. However, the neck mini itself gives interesting, rather strong and bassy sound, but I must add some treble quite often.

The guitar is neck heavy, which may be a problem when compared to ideally balanced LP.

Pickup selector is placed where it is safe from accidental switching while playing. However, when I want to change pickups very fast, it's too far from my hand. In Ibanez, pickup selector is placed more handy, but on the other hand, it can be switched accidentally.

The Grover tuners keep the instrument in-tune even after heavy bending. All the frets are easily accessible, in contrast to LP, where playing above 20th fret is not as easy as I'd like to.

One minor problem I have is something like fret buzz. But I think it is not fret buzz, because it occurs on 22nd fret too. I hear it mostly bending e1 string on frets above 15.

For people who like to change pickups, NH is definitely not a good choice. AFAIK replacement for bridge humbucker is available from Seymour Duncan only (in two versions). Neck mini humbucker is easier to replace, as it is standard mini. The most difficult it is to replace the single coil, because it mount is different from what we have in Strats and Teles.

My boss arrange a Good Bye- Party for me, because I´m retired now.

My colleges will collect money or a voucher in a music store in Wuppertal or the big one in Cologne.

If , and only IF I get approximately enough money , I´m interested in a Nighthawk.

I saw the review in Andertons music and the review here in the forum .

I guess there are not many guitars with such a versatile sound for this price..

Somebody a different opinion?? Let me know before the money is gone...........

Archived