Gibson Brands Forums

335 Pickup Positioning

Tim Plains

NO it's NOT supposed to be that way, And YES it's POOR workmanship. Probably the only way your going to be able to fix it is to remove your strings and pull the pick up out of the body cavity. The wires are probably causing it to tilt. If not then it could be the springs, I'm sure the problem will be quit obvious once your in there. To remove the Pickup, remove the four small black philip head screws in each corner of the black plastic Pickup ring. The two slotted screw that match the finish of the Pickup are to adjust the height of the Pickup. Have you tried pressing on the end of the pickup to see if it will move. If you have and it springs right back then something underneath is interfering. Or your could take it to a Gibson repair facility if it's under warranty.

I've seen this many times. Hopefully it's something simple like the wire pulling it like Roadhog says. It's probably something much worse.

If the pickup mounting ring is installed too far toward the bridge, the pickup may actually be being pushed in that direction by the edge of the routed hole. Since the pickup holes are cut to a very close tolerance, it only has to be off a few mm's. Although this won't really effect the magnetic/electric function of the pickup, it can cause vibration, buzz and rattles acoustically, which will effect the sound of the guitar.

If you can straighten it up by pushing on it by hand, see Roadhogs advise. If it feel like it's hitting something solid, there are only two ways to fix it, relocate the pickup mounting ring by drilling four new holes, or enlarge the routing hole in the body.

If you're on the way to work on it, you may want to try adjust the pickup parallel to the strings but not to the body.

I've done that on a SG and the sound is more "full" now (before that the pickup was adjusted parallel to the body).

I used a piece of foam/cellular rubber for adjusting.

Archived