Gibson Brands Forums

GOTW 67 SG Special

TattooedCarrot

They are a thing of beauty! The P90's rock. What amp are you using?

I use a few amps, DSL50 through an oversized JTM style 2x12 with G12H30/V30 speakers, a custom made EL84 1x12 combo with a Celestion Heritage H30, and a TopHat Club Royale 2x12 with two 75th Ann. H30's. I also have an LP 57RI goldtop and a Flying V.

I'm a Fender Amp guy my main amp being a Twin Reverb. I have a Blues Jr. and a Bassman.That said, I plugged my SG 67 Special w/ P90s into a Vox AC30 and was blown away. Only my opinion, but that amp sounds so good with the P90s I have to get one.

A Gold Top? One of the guitars I have to have before I die ( hopefully a long way off) is a 56 Les Paul Goldtop.

Hot.

I love the pickguard.

One piece body or two?

When I first got into SGs, I preferred the large pick guard. I guess it seemed more "balanced". When I saw this model though, the small guard started to grow on me and now I think it looks great. I like to see the wood on guitars and the small guard just shows more of it. I think the P90s definitely help too.

Beleive it or not, it's actually a three piece body. You can see one seam just above the pickup selector but the other one is tough to spot. It cuts through the tailpiece stud on the bass side and just catches the top quarter-inch of the pickups. I had to look at the end grain to spot it.

Archived