Gibson Brands Forums

Made in India? Make that China

gearbasher

Well, before you guys get on too far with the "fake Gibson" posts, let me tell you what this is. It "technicaly" is a Gibson.

This is a guitar manufactured for the Gibson Educational Foundation. The Gibson Foundation donates to causes to mainly help children. One of the things they do is to donate instruments to schools and school children so that they can experience music.

I personally own a guitar, such as this one. Yes, they are manufactured in China and are very inexpensive. They are not your typical Gibson guitar, of course. But for what they cost, I'd recommend picking one up as a beater, if you need a beater.

I had heard about them in January of 2007 on another guitar forum. People were making fun of Gibson because they had heard that Bed, Bath, and Beyond were selling Gibson guitars at an extremely cheap price. The one I purchased regularly sold for about $129.99 (I think). Out of curiousity, I went to my local Bed, Bath, and Beyond store to see what they were.

My local store had three in stock. They had them for the 2006 Christmas season and didn't ordinarily stock them. Because it was after Christmas, they had them on sale for $79.99. On the particular day that I was there, they were having a weekend sale and I also had a 20% off coupon for their store. Bottom line is that I purchased mine for $48.29, including tax.

The name on the headstock said "Talent", but the packaging box said "made for the Gibson Educational Foundation". The label inside the guitar is similar to the one shown on the guitar in the e-bay link, although mine says "Talent" and not Signature Series. The Gibson name is not on the guitar.

Included with the guitar was a gig bag, set of strings, guitar pick, guitar strap, and an educational DVD that contained basic information on guitar maintenance and basic lessons.

The guitar is all laminated and although obviously cheaply made, it wasn't that bad for a cheap guitar. I changed out the strings with a new set of Gibson strings, gave it a set-up and installed a bone saddle to replace the flexible plastic original. I also replaced the bridge pins. Those changes made it into a fairly nice, beater guitar. In fact, it now doesn't sound that bad at all. And for $48.29, it was well worth the cost. In fact, the included accessories were probably worth close to that.

I know people will say what they will about Gibson marketing "cheap guitars". But if you look at it from the perspective of the goals of the Gibson Foundation, they are providing instruments to kids who cannot normally afford to have them. They also market other instruments, such as band instruments, I believe.

The problem with the one on e-bay is that someone will probably buy it, thinking it is a regular model Gibson acoustic, which it is not. I guess it goes back to "buyer beware".

Here are some photos of mine:

2f90OszqrKnEPZ4i8Ydj2DKXa0eZMF-s3Kdgv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

2f90OszqrKnEPZ4i8Ydj2DKXa6hx*kE*LvFkv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

2f90OszqrKnEPZ4i8Ydj2DKXayo652zI*UKUv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

2f90OszqrKnEPZ4i8Ydj2DKXa6dWzqYq3i4sv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

2f90OszqrKnEPZ4i8Ydj2DKXa7GRHGeXknLpv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

I can't comment on this one because I've never had one in hand, but I've owned some Indian made guitars, a couple Hobners and a Givson (yes I spelled right and yes you read right). On all of them the workmanship was crude as to bending the sides and installing the binding and sanding the neck heel and all those things that we "should" notice.... the work was sloppy and hurried. But in their defense, I was very favorably impressed with the fret work. The frets were well seated on nice boards with no protruding ends and just had a nice overall polished feel that belied the REST of the guitar(s) quality. And I am a total duckhead (intentionally misspelled) when it comes to nice frets.

If I remember correctly' date=' the Gibson "Signature" guitars were available through either Best Buy or Target. I think they ran less than $100.00. Pretty much in the same lines as Washburn's "Lion"and Fender's "Starcaster" series.[/quote']

i bought a lyon at target last year. it was $96.03 after discount as it was considered an after xmas clearance. it has a gold autographed pickguard by one of the guys from a band i hate - fall out boy. i dont know what the body material is but the guitar weighs a tonne. very pretty looking and it sounds like an SG. when i bought it the neck looked like a lasagna noodle but resolved itself and is now pretty flat. the tuners are garbage and my daughter took the sig guitar picks it came with.

Gear Basher, Guitar Strummer, Strummerettes, Johnt, Cunk and Long John Silver

On behalf of my guitar Hero ESTABAN-THE GREAT MASKED ONE- you have made his day and mine.

Even with the Gibson name associated with this jewel=it's still crapola deluxe.

Please keep us advised of such future postings so that all Estaban owners can arise one and all and chant in unison ''AND WE ARE ALWAYS TOLD THAT OURS ARE THE BIGGEST JOKE-DA"

The maker of this instrument is not worthy of mention unless he includes a rectal thermometer

with the extras to suitably gauge the player's reaction to those dulcet tones produced by the deserved beating administered to such.

THE MOOSE HAS SPOKEN

P.S. Johnt-a big kiss for Fred from Nou Nou

Gear Basher' date=' Guitar Strummer, Strummerettes, Johnt, Cunk and Long John Silver

On behalf of my guitar Hero ESTABAN-THE GREAT MASKED ONE- you have made his day and mine.

Even with the Gibson name associated with this jewel=it's still crapola deluxe.

Please keep us advised of such future postings so that all Estaban owners can arise one and all and chant in unison ''AND WE ARE ALWAYS TOLD THAT OURS ARE THE BIGGEST JOKE-DA"

The maker of this instrument is not worthy of mention unless he includes a rectal thermometer

with the extras to suitably gauge the player's reaction to those dulcet tones produced by the deserved beating administered to such.

THE MOOSE HAS SPOKEN

P.S. Johnt-a big kiss for Fred from Nou Nou[/quote']

And another thing, please don't use the fact that I spelled Esteban correctly as evidence that I actually own one of his fine instruments. And in turn, I won't use the fact that you spelled it incorrectly to confirm that you probably don't own one. =D>

On behalf of my guitar Hero ESTABAN-THE GREAT MASKED ONE- you have made his day and mine. ...

That's nice' date=' because Esteban was a major reason why these "Gibsons" were introduced. Seriously! One of the folks in Bozeman told me that The Powers That Be at Gibson were seriously pissed that Esteban, First Act, etc., were selling completely unplayable guitars to beginners, and the objective of the Gibson Education Foundation guitars was to provide a playable alternative in the same price range. Like Mike, I bought one for around $50 to check out. While these are not good guitars by any stretch of the imagination, they are [i']much[/i] better than the alternatives. After an (admittedly pretty major) truss rod adjustment and string change (using the non-corroded replacement set was included), mine plays fine and sounds much like a guitar.

-- Bob R

RAR AND GIT STRUMMER

YOU BOTH have just made my day a second time-just to know that THE GREAT MASKED ONE got Gibson really pissed strongly suggests that a colonscope should also be included as part of the Talent package. As far as helping deserving children afford better instruments, please be advised that the Great Masked One has been a wonderful benefactor in this regard to the Piss Poor Picken Academy of Advanced Guitar Techniques. His donated instruments have advanced the study of carpal tunnel syndrome by eons not to mention the art of finger tip transplants. If you think the Museum Collection from the Bozeman Custom Shop that is personally inlaid by Ren are something-I personally invite you both to gaze upon the recent Duende Esteban model sold only on late night TV. This masterpiece has bling up the you know where.Who cares what it sounds like.

Regards,

Moose

I hate to admit it, but I actually saw that guitar being sold. Bling doesn't begin to describe that one. I wonder how many late night party goers actually stopped their drinking after they took a gander at that one as it lit up their TV screen as they were channel surfing between Girls Gone Wild and QVC? It was enough to make you want to stop drinking, that's for sure.

GIT SSTUMMER

Your obvious awe of the Esteban Duende model seen via your late night surfing of the web leads me to believe THAT you really may be a closet admirer of The Great Masked One. COME ON OUT AND STAND UP AND TESTIFY. The GMO still plays Malagena better than Roy Clark so what more do you want?

Regards,

Moose

Archived