Gibson Brands Forums

A Couple New 4 String LPs For Me

Rob R

Hi everybody, I just wanted to share a new/new to me LPs that I've picked up recently.

The first one I just picked up yesterday is a Les Paul Special Bass.

th_068.jpg th_071.jpg th_074.jpg

It's a bolt on maple neck with what looks to be mahogany body with a thin flame maple veneer. I got from Guitar Center about a month ago but it wasn't released until this week. I have some plans for some mods that I'm going to do to it, just because I just can leave anything stock (I think it's a sickness, but it will be fun) some will be done very soon and I'll post pics when I do.

The other one is this.

th_151.jpg th_154.jpg

I just couldn't resist I don't play the Uke yet, but I thought what a fun way to learn \:D/

Pretty sweet, Rob! Did you buy the bass new? I thought these were discontinued in 2002 or so. Obviously they are quite a bit different than a normal LP Special bass. Just asking because you said that you paid for it a month ago from GC and had to wait for it to arrive.

From what I understand, these were the first LP basses, released in 1995, and just called "Les Paul Bass". In 1999, they changed the name to Les Paul Special Bass and then discontinued them in 2002...or so I thought.

No sorry my bad, it's used, I'm guessing from the S/N it's from '99. I paid for it a month ago but they said it couldn't be released until 8/10. It was on the wall but but they had to wait til it cleared to make sure it wasn't stolen. I don't know why they wouldn't put it out until it cleared, I guess that's how they do it. I noticed a bunch of used basses on Saturday that could be released until some time in Sept.

It does say Les Paul Special on the TRC, so from your info it really is a '99, thanks [biggrin] It's in really good shape, it looks almost new. There a few small marks on the back but from the front it look great. I'm not a big fan of the black hardware though, when I bought it I already had a plans to change that, in fact I've already change the bridge, and have some Grover tuners on their way, I'm also changing the pick ups, I think I just found the perfect ones that will make this look a little more "correct" to me [wink] I'll post some more pics very soon.

I was going to buy one of the newer LP basses a couple months back, but the brilliant salesman offered to polish it for me before I bought it, some how used the wrong polishing cloth and scratch the entire face of the bass ](*,) It's still sitting on the wall at $299 [confused]

I'm not a big fan of black hardware, myself. I bet it will look great with all chrome parts. What kind of pickups are you getting?

I would imagine that if there was a hold on the bass to verify its ownership, there probably was no original receipt for it. Its a good practice to follow. Congrats! Its a very nice bass. You get all of the extras of the standard without the 3-point bridge. Very nice!

Congrats on the uke too! Those are pretty cool.

It looks a lot better with the chrome IMO. I just ordered a couple Bill Lawrence USA EB-50PC bass pick ups.

I have one of these in another bass and they sound really good. Plus they can be coil tapped, so I'll be redoing the electronics as well, so that should be interesting.

The only thing I haven't decided on is the knobs. I going to stick with the speed knobs, I'm not sure if I want to go with gold or amber, or maybe something totally different. I should have most of the parts buy the weekend.

The Uke has been really fun to mess around with, I did get a book to get some pointers, there just never seems to be enough hours in the day [sneaky]

post-23496-020217900 1313550216_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd share some updated pics. The LP bass is now complete. It now has Grover tuners, Shaller Roller bass bridge, Bill Lawrence bass pick ups w/ push pull coil taps and gold speed knobs.

Plus I was able to find a case that fits it perfectly. I hope you guys like it as much as I do [biggrin]

th_007-2.jpg th_008.jpg th_009-1.jpg th_012.jpg th_013-2.jpg th_015-1.jpg

(Click on the pics to make them bigger)

Thanks Stuart. I knew when I bought it I was going to mod the heck out of it,

I'm glad I didn't goof it up :blink:

The Uke was a impulse buy, I've messed around on it a little, but I'm still trying to

get the hang of it. I was thinking of tuning it like bass and play a bunch of Iron Maiden

on it :lol:

• 5 months later...

Hi everybody, I just wanted to share a new/new to me LPs that I've picked up recently.

The first one I just picked up yesterday is a Les Paul Special Bass.

th_068.jpg th_071.jpg th_074.jpg

It's a bolt on maple neck with what looks to be mahogany body with a thin flame maple veneer. I got from Guitar Center about a month ago but it wasn't released until this week. I have some plans for some mods that I'm going to do to it, just because I just can leave anything stock (I think it's a sickness, but it will be fun) some will be done very soon and I'll post pics when I do.

The other one is this.

th_151.jpg th_154.jpg

I just couldn't resist I don't play the Uke yet, but I thought what a fun way to learn \:D/

I have that exact Epi Les Paul bass and this is the first time I have ever seen another one. I think from the serial number, mine would be a '95, and I've had it since about 2002. Good looking bass, and great tone, but ridiculously uncomfortable to play. I've had it for ten years and I still complain about the weight and tendency of the neck to dive down every time I play it. I must like it enough though, because I still have it. I don't know how, but mine is still in excellent condition.

hi Rob,

your LP looks really nice! I've been impressed with them when I've played them at Guitar Center. a good bass at a good price, imo. how do the Bill Lawrence pickups compare to the stock pickups? are they drop in replacements or was routing necessary?

regarding the uke, I picked up a tenor size back in October and am having a blast with it. not sure if you play guitar, but ukes are tuned the same as a guitar if you had a capo on the 5th fret and played the 4 highest strings. check out ukuleleunderground.com for some videos to get you started. they have lots of tutorials by some very good players. I also search youtube for lessons & songs. good luck with it!

Hi Ramone57, the Bill Lawrence sound great in this one, they have a lot more clarity than the stock pick ups, alot more bottom end with out sounding muddy. They did just drop right in, but this was one of the older LP basses that had stock humbucker pick ups with pick up rings, not the soapbar pick ups like the ones at Guitar Center now. I did have to get different pick up rings, the ones that came with the BL pick ups were too tall and wouldn't fit under the strings. Luckly a store that I go to for parts had a couple of lower profile BL pick up rings in there parts bin that fit like a charm [biggrin]

Thanks for the heads up on the Uke. I pick it up every once in a while and just kind of noodle around on it, I'll definitely check out the site you posted.

And Pottski, I'm surprised to here yours neck dives. Mine is from '98 I think, but it seems to be very comfortable in any playing position. It does have a slight neck dive, but not as bad as a T-Bird or something. It might be something to do with the straps I use. I have used for years are the 2" canvas straps and it seem to help with the neck dive on a lot of my basses. It also might have something to do with my other basses, most of them are BC Rich and are famous for neck dive, I think I'm just use to holding the body with my forearm when I play.

Archived