Gibson Brands Forums

1956 Gibson LG-1

DBradley_KU

I apologize if this topic has been wore out. I'm looking a mid-1950s LG-1. Trying to figure out what to expect as far as neck, sound, and playability. This would be my first venture into "vintage" guitars. Unfortunately it be an over the internet purchase so I haven't played it. And for as many as there are, I can't seem to find any in the NE Kansas area to test/try out. I've probably read every review and watched every youtube video regarding the Gibson LG series. I really like the sounds of the LG-1 vs the LG-2. Just trying to get a good idea on what to expect or any notorius problems with the guitar.

Any information would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Condition can be reasonably assessed through good photos, but tone and playability might be all over the map with a purchase like this. My only advice would be to make sure you've got reasonable return rights for a refund if the guitar doesn't match your expectations. Purchasing through a respected dealer can help in terms of getting accurate descriptors over the phone. Hope everything works out well.

They may have had plastic bridges. At least my'64 did. And any still around (they were an entry level Gibson) may have had those bridges replaced. (At the same time, one would hope the bridge plate - at least mine looked like plywood!) So - just be aware of that possibility. I never replaced either on mine and never needed to. Gave it to my son a couple of years ago after getting the frets dressed. Otherwise - its held up really well. If you find one well cared for - you shouldn't have any problems. They do have a unique sound. G'luck.

I have a 1952 LG-1 and a 1958 LG-0 :- both fairly recent purchases from eBay. Great little guitars for acoustic blues fingerpicking and slide. I am going to play them for a while when I finish this reply - I am still in the honeymoon period!

I would not have even dreamed of buying these 'sight-unseen' if I didn't have my beautiful Blues King and J45 Gibsons. They are my main guitars.

What kind of music do you play? If you want to play slide, these are great because they are ladder-braced and not as many overtones to damp as an x-braced guitar. My LG-1 action is a good 1/2 inch at the 12th fret - the guy I bought it from said it was 1/8" and lied about a number of things. I originally wanted it to play ragtime blues type stuff, but it would need a neck reset and a lot of other things done to get the action good enough for that. But then I put it in Open D tuning and - 'Lookout - we are away".

If you want a loud strummer, you are in the wrong market and will be terribly dissappointed.

If you want to play a million notes like Doyle D., the average LG-1 is going to need a lot of work at the luthiers.

If you stick to the 1950's guitars, you SHOULD get the nice chunky neck, small square rosewood bridge. The 60's were all over the shop, so I would really, really want to be able to try one of those before buying.

Here are links to a couple of my videos:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=a1zzAo4ue3w

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6dSnMxKDPgI

Do some research about these guitars on web, or buy 'Gibson Fantastic Flattops' book.

Good Luck.

BluesKing777.

p.s. one on the bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Gibson-LG-1-Acoustic-NO-RESERVE-AUCTION-/370535037521?pt=Guitar&hash=item56459bfa51

I have a 1957 LG-1. The neck is great and pretty thick. Its slightly thicker than a modern Gibson neck and the neck width its pretty standard. Its very playable with low action all the way down the neck. Thats being said, my has had a fair amount of work done to it to make it so great but it has not had the neck reset. Its a really great guitar for blues. For this year, the bridge should be a brazilian rosewood non-belly bridge. They are the best ones to get in my opinion. This video is the best one in terms of tone to expect. Let me know if you have questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJtz7kiRzxw

Archived