Gibson Brands Forums

Copy Rights

TommyK

I play at some bluegrass jams, strictly amateur. I have an idea for a song... actually, it's almost fleshed out. It's based on a Civil War era song, but I've changed the words and added a totally new verse. The original song and tune are definitely in the public domain. I have changed the tune.. just a bit.

How do I copyright this before I play it out? I don't intend to make any money off of it, I just want the credit.. for what that might be worth.

Registar of copyrights' date=' Library of Congress.

Print the SR form, record it, send em' the money and a copy. It's yours.

I own a BUNCH.

DOUBLE AUGHT (cdbaby.com)

Murph.[/quote']

Thanks Murph. I'll see what them boys in Warshington know.

You wouldn't be MMM would you?

Mike is correct. The fee goes up every few minutes, just like stamps. I swear it was $15.00 when I started, but I almost always do a "collection" just like it was a project. In fact, with me, it is.

Unless I have a "hotty" that I'm in a rush to protect because it's just "so good".

Sheeze.......

I don't know what MMM is.

"Murphy Slaw" is a song on the DOUBLE AUGHT cd (cdbaby.com) I wrote and played the second lead with a 79 Walnut SG and a Marshall. It gets a lot of hits, and we had a good run, but "Never Been Lonely" was supposed to be the one.

And so it goes..........

I wish you the very best of luck.

Murph.

I play at some bluegrass jams' date=' strictly amateur. I have an idea for a song... actually, it's almost fleshed out. It's based on a Civil War era song, but I've changed the words and added a totally new verse. The original song and tune are definitely in the public domain. I have changed the tune.. just a bit.

How do I copyright this before I play it out? I don't intend to make any money off of it, I just want the credit.. for what that might be worth.[/quote']

As I understand it, the copyright process requires you to demonstrate that the composition is original. From what you describe, you have taken an existing song, changed the tune slightly and added a new verse. To me, this sounds like you haven't created something that would qualify for copyright - especially where the borrowed tune is public domain a judge isn't going to want to grant you rights to own that which you have not created.

This Stanford site might help you out with your inquiries.

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/

Archived