Gibson Brands Forums

Transtrem problem

Sarmad Ghafoor

I recently bought ZT3. What a lovely instrument. I love the tone, and the playability. I tried using the trans trem a few days ago. This is what happens; when I try to bend up or down over a tone (eg. c to d or c to Bb), the tremolo slips out of it's groove (the place where the lower trem knife rests). I then have to force the tremolo back into it's groove, to be able to play it. Do you think I need to replace something or can it be adjusted?

That's not right , make sure you set it up as the video on the website and if it still dose it send it back .

I have set it up like the video. The thumb wheel is exactly where it should be, but it still slips. I unfortunately can't send it back, as I don't live in US, and there are no guitar shops where I live, let alone a gibson dealer. I'm just wondering, if I need to replace parts, which ones exactly would they be. As I can get the parts delivered.

As I can get the parts delivered.

I doubt that. Unfortunately replacement parts for Steinbergers are exclusively sold to authorized Gibson service providers/dealers, so there is no way (I know of) to order any parts and get them delivered.

@Be em What do you think should I do? What's my best bet. If I somehow send it to gibson, do you think the repair will cost a lot?

That's hard to answer. I have no idea what's wrong with your trem, and I have no idea what it will cost. There is just no alternative. There aren't ANY TT3 parts available out there, if not from Gibson service. You should try to find a Gibson shop with a qualified service technician to get a quote for the repair. Or write a mail to Gibson service, but without knowing what's wrong even Gibson will not be able to answer your questions (other than "replace the whole trem"). Knowledge about the TT3 is not as widespread as about the TT2.

• 1 month later...

Give http://www.headlessusa.com a call. They are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to any and all Steinberger Guitars.

That's certainly true for vintage (USA) Steinies, but some time ago Don sold his only ZT3 because he and the TT3 didn't get friends. As far as I know Gibson is still the only provider for TT3 replacement parts. However, talking with Don could be interesting anyway, he will surely offer some nice TT2 guitars :D

Bernd

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Guys. I've figured out exactly what's wrong with the tremolo. Every tremolo has a knife and a groove that it fits in. My TT3 should've had two knives (one for treble, and one for bass), and two grooves respectively, instead I have three groove parts, and only one knife part, which is making it slip. I only need to order the knife bit, and I'd be in business. Now if only I can find out, how to get that part.

My TT3 should've had two knives (one for treble, and one for bass), and two grooves respectively, instead I have three groove parts, and only one knife part, which is making it slip.

Well, for getting the parts nothing has changed. You will need to find an authorized Gibson service to order it for you. However, your description sounds quite irritating. How could this happen and slip through any QA checks? How would that even be possible to assemble a trem with wrong parts? If you have any chance to take photos of your disassembled trem and the problem in question, I'd really appreciate it if you could upload them somewhere or (if not possible) to send them by mail. Just out of interest, I'm really eager to see them.

Bernd

Here's the pic of the inserts

Wow, it's hard to believe that a manufacturing mistake like this made it through any tests. At least, I hope there were tests. I'd say this is so obviously not a user problem or damage caused by you, that you should try to write an e-mail to Gibson service, including these pics. Request a replacement for the erroneously installed part. IMHO they should simply put it into an envelope and send it to you, together with some candy ;)

Good luck with this and let us know if/how this is going to be solved.

Bernd

Thanks for your support. I will definitely write to them, and hope they do reply. I picked the guitar up, on my visit to U.S. I unfortunately live in a third world country, and there disadvantages, as well as advantages. This disadvantage is quiet obvious, no accessibility to Gibson repair center, or support. The advantage however is the interesting part, I got the part custom made, and it cost me exactly $3.50 to make (cheap labor). So now I'm back in action. Enjoying the guitar like I should've, when I first bought it. I hope the part lasts though. In the meanwhile, following your advice, I'll be writing to them.

The advantage however is the interesting part, I got the part custom made, and it cost me exactly $3.50 to make (cheap labor). So now I'm back in action. Enjoying the guitar like I should've, when I first bought it.

This is great to hear, congratulations. It's definitely an advantage being able to help yourself in such a successful way :)

Bernd

• 3 months later...

I had no idea my ZT3 had a knife-edge fulcrum design until I saw these pictures. I was reading on the internets that previous TTs were ball-bearing pivots and were drying out because they weren't sealed. Also, good to know Neddy (or someone) figured out a solution to the Floyd-type wear problem, just make replaceable friction-point pieces. Simple genius! Oh, and I love the happy slave-labor ending!!

Archived