Gibson Brands Forums

SG Classic nut size

Shaepes

Hey everyone,

I have a Gibson SG Classic (Cherry finish, P-90's) from about '06. Somehow the nut ended up getting cracked over the past few years, Lots of my friends and brothers have played it and im sure it got abused one way or another (I suppose that's what a good guitar is for...). Anyway, I was wondering what size nut I needed to get to replace it. I bought just a standard Gibson nut from guitar center but upon installation, I realized that the strings would barely make it over the edge of the fret board, that's how short this nut was. Also it sticks out about a 16th of an inch on either side from the neck.

If someone could either send me the dimensions or a link to where I could buy the proper nut, That would be highly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Paul

Hey everyone,

I have a Gibson SG Classic (Cherry finish, P-90's) from about '06. Somehow the nut ended up getting cracked over the past few years, Lots of my friends and brothers have played it and im sure it got abused one way or another (I suppose that's what a good guitar is for...). Anyway, I was wondering what size nut I needed to get to replace it. I bought just a standard Gibson nut from guitar center but upon installation, I realized that the strings would barely make it over the edge of the fret board, that's how short this nut was. Also it sticks out about a 16th of an inch on either side from the neck.

If someone could either send me the dimensions or a link to where I could buy the proper nut, That would be highly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Paul

Just measured my 2011 Classic. Width = 1.7 inch, Height 0.3 inch.

Hope this helps!

Your post is interesting because I own a 2006 SG Classic too. When I bought it used a few months ago, the owner was using 10s and so to get it up and running for my style (I play 11s) I swapped in a crappy synthetic ivory nut that was formally on my SG Special Ltd. Fit like a glove so I would think SG nut sizes are universal. I am wondering if that Gibson nut is cut for some other model like a Les Paul or ES335? Never having looked at the nut on one of those I would not know how they compare to an SG. Is the nut slot on a Les Paul a channel too, like on SGs?

• 2 years later...

1.695 I thought was the basic

Nut

Material Corian

Width 1.695

Slots Gibson PLEK System

The neck profiles vary, the Standard 2014 is using .800" / .900" Slim, they differ slightly as do the 50s profiles. Also with signature models, D shaped and so forth.

The slots I think are all the same on the LP-ES-SG.

Archived