Gibson Brands Forums: What DAW do you use? - Gibson Brands Forums

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What DAW do you use? What recording software do you use?

#21 User is offline   whis4ey 

• Group: Members

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

I have just downloaded Reaper and I have to say that it looks quite good to me, and the basics are fairly easy to follow.
It has similarities to Audacity, and to a video editing program I use
I record on a Korg 3200 ... what a great machine :)

#22 Guest_BentonC_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:22 PM

View Postwhis4ey, on 10 November 2011 - 02:45 PM, said:

I have just downloaded Reaper and I have to say that it looks quite good to me, and the basics are fairly easy to follow.

Nice! Let us know how you like it when you get to dig into it a bit.

#23 User is offline   epi8668 

• LocationChicagoland

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

I'm a recent Reaper convert. Prior to changing operating systems (from pc to mac) I used Vegas. I really liked Vegas for it's simplicity and it always did a great job. I'm still learning reaper's quirks but I'm beginning to like it. I'm currently using it w/ a Tascam M-164 and so far - no problems at all.

#24 Guest_BentonC_*

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:41 PM

Reaper and Steinberg products seem to be dominating here. Nice. I've been meaning to get Reaper for a while now, but haven't had much time. Can't wait to pick it up.

#25 User is offline   and9 

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:53 AM

My first choice is Pro Tools 10 native, but if I need to do a bounce quickly, I use Logic. Since I do mostly location work, I often have to bounce a 2 to 3 hour show for rough mixes, so sometimes it's hard to justify tying up the computer for that long.

#26 Guest_BentonC_*

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:40 PM

View Postand9, on 02 December 2011 - 05:53 AM, said:

My first choice is Pro Tools 10 native, but if I need to do a bounce quickly, I use Logic. Since I do mostly location work, I often have to bounce a 2 to 3 hour show for rough mixes, so sometimes it's hard to justify tying up the computer for that long.

I just upgraded to 10. How do you like it? Sounds like you're into the sound for picture world, so I'm sure you're probably loving some of the new features.

The only complaint I have thus far is having to "save session copy in" everytime I need it in ptf format. Unfortunately none of the studios I'm moving between are on 10 yet, so that's become a bit of an annoyance.

#27 User is offline   Beat Poet 

• LocationHertfordshire, UK

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

I used Cool Edit and Audition on Windows for alot of years, before getting a Macbook, preamp and Logic 9.
Posted Image

#28 Guest_BentonC_*

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

View PostBeat Poet, on 14 December 2011 - 11:19 AM, said:

I used Cool Edit and Audition on Windows for alot of years, before getting a Macbook, preamp and Logic 9.

Nice- how was the transition to Logic?

#29 User is offline   david.sg 

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:07 AM

I just upgraded to Protools 9 and I have to say that I'm loving it. It works great with my Mac.
David Irelan, Community Leader, sharemyguitar.com

#30 Guest_BentonC_*

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:44 PM

View Postdavid.sg, on 28 December 2011 - 01:07 AM, said:

I just upgraded to Protools 9 and I have to say that I'm loving it. It works great with my Mac.

Gotta love PT- I actually wish I could move back to 9 easily, but I just traded up on a Mac, and it came w/ Lion preinstalled, so rather than work on the buggy Beta version of 9, I'm choosing to grit my teeth and bare with it until the rest of the audio world is with 10...

#31 User is offline   Beat Poet 

• LocationHertfordshire, UK

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

View PostBentonC, on 15 December 2011 - 11:33 PM, said:

Nice- how was the transition to Logic?

It wasn't too difficult on the recording side, I just needed to get my preamp working with it and get it so that I had what I wanted going off to separate buses and stuff. As for suddenly being able to individually treat eight channels of drums though, and learning how to mix them, that was one of the biggest challenges of my life [blink] Obviously it's a never ending process, but it is tough getting up to what you consider to be a good starting sound, from which you can use as a platform for this project or that project.
Posted Image

#32 User is offline   damian 

• The Guitar Whisperer
  • LocationIn The Misty Mountains With My Black Dog

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

View Postwhis4ey, on 10 November 2011 - 02:45 PM, said:

I also use a Korg 3200............And Reaper, and Sonar Producer X-1...............
I use Atlas Stands because they are the best................. http://www.facebook.com/atlasstands ......American Made.......Rewind Pickups; MIA and the Best.......
.....................Codtone Pedals from OZ......................................." Ya'll remove hats, please "...................................Motor City Pickups......................................
.................................." I hate it when people compare god with jimmy page, I mean, he's good and all, but he's no jimmy page."..................................
Music Consultant, Songwriter........................................ - THE MENSA PRETZEL LOGIC PROJECT - .............................. Advocate for the Disabled, Gentle Hellraiser.

" It occured to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." Einstein on his theory of relativity.
" Music is a higher relevation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." Ludwig von Beethoven
" There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.' Johann Sebastian Bach
" Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or a punching bag. It's not the thing itself; it's preparatory to the activity." Barney Kessel
" After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Hoxley
" There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have crossed this line." Pianist Oscar Lavant
" Music came before language; musical grunts became words." Damian (copyright)
" I know how to get there, all I've got to do is keep playing." Jimmy Page
" Without music, life would be a mistake." Friedrich Nietzsche
" Music is an outburst of the soul." Fredrick Deluis
" Rock and Roll forever, man." Unknown
" Damian's cool." NeoConMan
" WTF ??? " dem00n
Posted Image

#33 Guest_BentonC_*

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

View PostBeat Poet, on 07 January 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

As for suddenly being able to individually treat eight channels of drums though, and learning how to mix them, that was one of the biggest challenges of my life [blink] Obviously it's a never ending process, but it is tough getting up to what you consider to be a good starting sound, from which you can use as a platform for this project or that project.

LOL- join the club. Drums are universally considered to be some of the most difficult instruments to work with by most engineers. Don't worry though- the more you play around, the more comfortable you get! [thumbup]

#34 User is offline   Gary J. 

• LocationUSA

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

Pro Tools LE 8 for a year now and I'm still loving' it.

#35 Guest_BentonC_*

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:40 PM

View PostGary J., on 11 January 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

Pro Tools LE 8 for a year now and I'm still loving' it.

Nothing wrong with that my friend- still debating on whether or not to downgrade from PT10. PT8 was great- still use it all the time!

#36 User is offline   spacealf 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

Cakewalk (Sonar).

#37 Guest_BentonC_*

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

View Postspacealf, on 19 January 2012 - 08:18 PM, said:

Cakewalk (Sonar).

Nice- they just had a big makeover with a recent version right? What version are you running?

#38 User is offline   spacealf 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

I am running Sonar 7. Others are using X1 version after I guess 8.5.3 whatever.
I could upgrade but for now and what I do, it is enough, and I have an older computer (32-bit XP).
I don't think everyone has stable drivers for audio interfaces for Windows 7 yet, so some are lagging behind.
Always can use I guess Music Creator 6 version (I still have version 4 but only can record in 44100 probably 16 bit).
I can go up to 24-bit with Sonar 7 and with my new audio interface - 192kHz sample rate but always you end up making
it 48000 sample rate or 44100 rate since videos and CDs only handle that and still at 16-bits.
I don't use plug-ins as of yet, perhaps someday I will, probably not, not that they are bad, but they cost a lot,
and I probably would need a newer better 64-bit computer to do that, and still some of those are not all that great
either yet.
Some comes with Cakewalk but I haven't use any plugins.

#39 Guest_BentonC_*

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

View Postspacealf, on 20 January 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

I am running Sonar 7. Others are using X1 version after I guess 8.5.3 whatever.
I could upgrade but for now and what I do, it is enough, and I have an older computer (32-bit XP).
I don't think everyone has stable drivers for audio interfaces for Windows 7 yet, so some are lagging behind.
Always can use I guess Music Creator 6 version (I still have version 4 but only can record in 44100 probably 16 bit).
I can go up to 24-bit with Sonar 7 and with my new audio interface - 192kHz sample rate but always you end up making
it 48000 sample rate or 44100 rate since videos and CDs only handle that and still at 16-bits.
I don't use plug-ins as of yet, perhaps someday I will, probably not, not that they are bad, but they cost a lot,
and I probably would need a newer better 64-bit computer to do that, and still some of those are not all that great
either yet.
Some comes with Cakewalk but I haven't use any plugins.

Very cool- I believe Sonar supports VST plugins (correct me if I'm wrong), and there are a ton of free VST plugs and virtual instruments out there- much more than most other plugin formats. I'd recommend getting a few- even for just basic mixing- plus they are a ton of fun to use! Don't worry about not being 64-bit... Pro Tools still isn't even there yet (even with the newest version 10! it's only 32-bit floating)

#40 User is offline   jonnyg 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSE England

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:20 AM

View PostBentonC, on 22 January 2012 - 11:43 PM, said:

Very cool- I believe Sonar supports VST plugins (correct me if I'm wrong), and there are a ton of free VST plugs and virtual instruments out there- much more than most other plugin formats. I'd recommend getting a few- even for just basic mixing- plus they are a ton of fun to use! Don't worry about not being 64-bit... Pro Tools still isn't even there yet (even with the newest version 10! it's only 32-bit floating)

BentonC tells you no lie there spacealf. There's so much free stuff out there that you probably couldn't try it all in a lifetime. It's definitely worth trying some of the reverbs, EQ's and compressors. A lot of them are as good or better than the paid for versions. Obviously virtual instruments are going to require some keyboard or MIDI programming skills but FX is just knob twiddling. Then there are the drum plugins. I've yet to hear a standalone drum machine at ten times the price that comes close to the $30.00 (currently) BFD Eco, and there are even ways of getting a comparable, multi-sample/multi-velocity kit for free. I'm still running XP 32Bit and there's no problem at all.

If you ever get interested, KVR Audio, although far from the only place, is a good place to start looking > http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php or just Google best free reverb/EQ/compressor vst (whatever you're looking for). It's a slippery slope though, and you do have to keep in mind that you're there to make music not audition plugins.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users