Gibson Brands Forums: What DAW do you use? - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What DAW do you use? What recording software do you use?

#41 Guest_BentonC_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:41 PM

View Postjonnyg, on 23 January 2012 - 04:20 AM, said:

It's a slippery slope though, and you do have to keep in mind that you're there to make music not audition plugins.


Haha! So true. I can't tell you how many times I've caught myself playing around with plugins when I should have been busy mixing!
0

#42 User is offline   FredD 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 115
  • Joined: 05-January 12
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

Pro Tools v9. [thumbup]

Upgraded/crossgraded over the years from v6.
I also use a 16 track digital machine for some initial sound 'capture', and then
transfer to Pro Tools, for mixing and mastering.

When I first started to record, it was a pair of 'half track' Ferrograph reel to reel
machines with valve pre amps. That was in the early sixties. As multitrack tape machines
became available, I moved on to Tascam 8, and then 16 track machines, with various mixing
desks. And now a computer with Pro Tools ! We have come a long way ! \:D/
AKA - 'Hollerin' Bad Boy Dupree'

Gibson SG Special
Gibson LP Jnr
Ibanez Artcore AS103
0

#43 User is offline   jonnyg 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 865
  • Joined: 23-March 08
  • LocationSE England

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

Hey FredD
I started out on a Ferrograph too, although I started in the early 70's with the stereo, Dolby equipped 702D. Great machine, built like a tank compared to a Revox and weighed about as much as a tank too. Cost me 20 full weeks wages but worth every penny. I've still got some old cassette mixdowns from that machine and they sound much livlier than the digital recordings I do now.
0

#44 User is offline   FredD 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 115
  • Joined: 05-January 12
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:07 AM

View Postjonnyg, on 26 January 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

.......... I've still got some old cassette mixdowns from that machine and they sound much livlier than the digital recordings I do now.


You're right there Jonny ! [thumbup]

I often find myself trying to recreate that 'analogue' feel, that was the end result of mastering down to half inch tape (running at 15 i.p.s.), and played back through Quad (valve) pre and power amplifiers, into Quad Electrostatic speakers !
Maybe it's 'rose tinted glasses', but I can never quite achieve it ! [unsure]

Life seemed so much more 'life like' before transistors ! [biggrin]
AKA - 'Hollerin' Bad Boy Dupree'

Gibson SG Special
Gibson LP Jnr
Ibanez Artcore AS103
0

#45 User is offline   JohnnySteele 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 30-January 12

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

I've been using versions of Adobe Audition for years now. Just got CS 5.5 and it's working great for me. I haven't used other DAWS though so I don't know how it compares very much. Anybody else use this?
"You're watching... a show!" http://youtube.com/ashowproductions
0

#46 User is offline   GuitarBuilder 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 218
  • Joined: 10-August 10
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

Presonus Studio One.
2011 Gibson Les Paul Custom Hot-Mod 1955 Black Beauty Tune-O-Matic (Gibson BB1, BB2)
2007 Gibson Les Paul R9 Yamano Sunset Tea Burst (Gibson BB1, BB2)
2011 Peter Knoot Custom Strat (Seymour Duncan SSL-1s)
2005 Brian Moore iGuitar i81.13 Emerald Green (BM iMs + RMC Piezo)
1979 Schecter Roland STK-1 Stratocaster Walnut (Fender Custom Shop Red Lineage, Roland GR-300)
0

#47 Guest_BentonC_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

View PostFredD, on 27 January 2012 - 04:07 AM, said:

You're right there Jonny ! [thumbup]

I often find myself trying to recreate that 'analogue' feel, that was the end result of mastering down to half inch tape (running at 15 i.p.s.), and played back through Quad (valve) pre and power amplifiers, into Quad Electrostatic speakers !
Maybe it's 'rose tinted glasses', but I can never quite achieve it ! [unsure]

Life seemed so much more 'life like' before transistors ! [biggrin]


Just got into a big debate with a fellow audio geek buddy of mine about analog vs/ digital summing, and I'm totally with you both! There just isn't anything quite like a true analog signal. Granted, digital audio has come a very long way in recent years and I do have high hopes for the future, but for now, my mixes onto 1/2" tape from the API console, just sound better than anything I can come up with in the box...
0

#48 User is offline   thouston 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 34
  • Joined: 26-June 08

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

I mainly use Reaper for PC recording with a Cakewalk UA4-FX external audio capture device and a Axiom 25 for softsynths.

I also use SONAR LE, and Ableton LIVE LE, just to learn the software.

But I also have a BOSS BR-800 and a BOSS BR-1600, I like recording to my stand-alone recorder than PC for the most part.
Tony Houston
0

#49 User is offline   TheStones143 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 78
  • Joined: 01-February 12

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

Sequel 3 - bc the drums are the same as Cubase which rock...and it cost only $89 bones
0

#50 User is offline   Oldhippie 

  • Oldhippie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 581
  • Joined: 10-August 11
  • LocationWuppertal / Germany

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

Nobody using ABLETON 8 SUITE ???
I use this after trying Cubase, Reaper, Fuity Loops and found out, that itīs the best for me. Easy to use, no connecting problems and lots of features.
All my hardware is shown below and the link to my music as well.
My guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Trans Blue
Epiphone Dot CH
Epiphone Wildkat Ltd. Customshop Sunrise Orange
Epiphone Special 2
Epiphone Riviera P 93 WR Ltd. Customshop
Hagstrom Swede Tremar

Fender DG 15 SB
Ovation Applause
Johnson BD 12 EBK 12string
Hopf classic
Pasadena Lap Steel Guitar
Johnson Backpacker
Fender Ukulele
Mahalo Ukulele
Pedals : Zoom G 2.1 u and Boss ME 50, TC Helicon Harmony GXT
Controller- Keyboard: Akai MPK 25
Audio Interface: M-Audio ProFire 610
Monitorspeakers: KRK Rokit 5
Microphone: Fame C 1, TC Helicon MP 75
Amps: Park / Marshall 15 W, Vox DA 5 5 W, Laney LX 20
Software: Ableton 8 Suite


If you are interested in the music I produce, please listen to: soundcloud.com / Oldhippie54


Oldhippie
0

#51 User is offline   Oldhippie 

  • Oldhippie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 581
  • Joined: 10-August 11
  • LocationWuppertal / Germany

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:28 AM

View PostMcEye, on 04 October 2011 - 01:51 AM, said:

I found it to be easier to learn and use overall. It just seem to fit when I was starting out and it feels the same today and it's value for money for sure. I like the bundled software, Dimension Pro, Rapture, Zta3 and the abundance of effects and instruments. It has all you need it make good music in many genres.
I tried a few others eg samplitude. live, studio one but none of them grabbed me like Sonar did.


I listened to your songs on soundcloud.
Very well made!! [thumbup] Especially "Into the black" I liked very much.
Keep on rockinī
My guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Trans Blue
Epiphone Dot CH
Epiphone Wildkat Ltd. Customshop Sunrise Orange
Epiphone Special 2
Epiphone Riviera P 93 WR Ltd. Customshop
Hagstrom Swede Tremar

Fender DG 15 SB
Ovation Applause
Johnson BD 12 EBK 12string
Hopf classic
Pasadena Lap Steel Guitar
Johnson Backpacker
Fender Ukulele
Mahalo Ukulele
Pedals : Zoom G 2.1 u and Boss ME 50, TC Helicon Harmony GXT
Controller- Keyboard: Akai MPK 25
Audio Interface: M-Audio ProFire 610
Monitorspeakers: KRK Rokit 5
Microphone: Fame C 1, TC Helicon MP 75
Amps: Park / Marshall 15 W, Vox DA 5 5 W, Laney LX 20
Software: Ableton 8 Suite


If you are interested in the music I produce, please listen to: soundcloud.com / Oldhippie54


Oldhippie
0

#52 User is offline   jonnyg 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 865
  • Joined: 23-March 08
  • LocationSE England

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostOldhippie, on 11 February 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

Nobody using ABLETON 8 SUITE ???
I use this after trying Cubase, Reaper, Fuity Loops and found out, that itīs the best for me. Easy to use, no connecting problems and lots of features.
All my hardware is shown below and the link to my music as well.

I use the low end Live Intro for some things. I like the quick and easy clips method for making up some drum or bass tracks and it is very stable. However, I did find the mixing process less than satisfactory which is why I switched to Reaper as my main DAW. There's room for both Reaper and Live in my setup though as the strengths of one makes up for the weakness of the other.
0

#53 User is offline   RaysEpiphone 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1607
  • Joined: 27-August 10
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

I started out using a DAW in recording school (Full Sail) back in the mid 1990's, if you are talking about a Non-dedicated system, I have a few Mac's with Digital Performer's DP5 and Bias Peak loaded onto them. I used Pro Tool's in school but I like DP better, this is probably because I've not been able to afford Pro Tool's so I just never used it after college. The version of DP5 I got has the competitive up-grade that came with some nice Mastering plug-in's, a channel strip, a sweet reverb and some other extra plug-in's that I have little use for. I just do basic one man-one acoustic guitar recordings ATM, I guess these extra plug-ins could be useful in some other format of music or production sound editing.

Yes, I know you can get a M-Audio box with Pro Tool's light on it for next to nothing but the MOTU interface's I have are most likely better than a cheep Pro-sumer set up. I don't have a studio set-up with proper constructed room's so my Tannoy Reveal monitor's are in storage with some other equipment I also own. I do have a good set of AKG 240 headphone's that have never let me down and I have a few usable LDC mic's..... 1 Audio-Technica 4047sv and 2 Studio Project's C1's. Of coarse I got a hand full of Shure SM57's and a few SM58's, every mic locker should have those 2 mic's. I've used a SM57 for everything and gotten good result's with it. I've got some SDC's as well, 3 $200.00(each) Audio Technica 30 Series, one uni and two omni's.... One of the AT omni's stopped working but to tell you the truth I hardly ever use them so it's no big deal right now.

I have a few outboard processors that I don't use much ether but they are very usable unit's. Aphex 107 (discontinued) mic pre and a Drawmer 4 channel Punch Gate (discontinued). I have 2 DBX graphic EQ boxes 1231 and a 131, they are used a lot in my live stage rig, for Time-based processor's I only have a Lexicon MPX200 (discontinued) multi-effect's unit, again this little baby is parked in my live stage rack.

I've got a Tascam 788 work station (discontinued) that stopped working a while back and I just haven't taken it to the shop to be fixed, it's a nice sounding portable dedicated machine. I do have a Fostex MR8 (red, also discontinued) that I got in 2003 or so, again a portable dedicated machine with not so hot pre amp's and a SD card for storage. The Fostex machine is not good for anything more than spoken-word archiving as it is compressed audio however the 788 Tascam unit actually sound's good for what I paid for it.

I also have a Tascam DR2d pocket recorder, witch is a small dedicated recorder that sound's every bit as good as the 788, I have the DR2d mounted on a cheep camera tri-pod and have used it at gig's with an external mic preamped through one of my mixer's. I was very impressed by the DR2d's sound quality so I will defiantly be on the look out for a good stand-alone mic that I can use with it as the on-board stereo pair's are total crap.
Lots of video's with me playing music as well as some of my favorite song's here at Youtube
https://www.youtube....iew=1&flow=grid
0

#54 User is offline   McEye 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 114
  • Joined: 28-April 11
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:53 AM

View PostOldhippie, on 11 February 2012 - 02:28 AM, said:

I listened to your songs on soundcloud.
Very well made!! [thumbup] Especially "Into the black" I liked very much.
Keep on rockinī



Thanks Oldhippie for taking the time to listen. Into the Black is an old favorite. I am only a bedroom player but I have fantasized more than once about being in front of a crowd playing this song and playing it loud.

Thanks again

McEye
The news, who cares really? We are more interested in our own daily grind sometimes caused by issues in the news. Oh, we have gone full circle.


http://www.soundclick.com/McEye
http://soundcloud.com/mceye
0

#55 User is offline   chipss36 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 121
  • Joined: 04-March 12

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:13 AM

I use pro tools 9, on an iMac, interface is an RME fire face uc, control surface is command 8, main moniters are dsm-3's
mics and mic press are next.....
Laminate Just Became A Tonewood
0

#56 User is offline   mikesocarras 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 09-March 12

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

View Postsinovic, on 01 September 2011 - 07:33 AM, said:

Reaper!
Its vst routing shape is one of the most comfortable of the market and is not so complicated as Cubase, for example. Its a daw that weighs almost nothing and it is said that, along with Samplitude, have the best audio engines in the market .

In relation to PC processes, reaper is the king, I have had many tracks projects and it just consume 14% of the computer and using big VSTi.

I think it is he daw of the future and its price is more than ridiculous for what it offers. Without a doubt a great system for work and composition.

Even though I have a huge affection for adobe audition, in fact I still use mostly for editing guitar tracks when a noise slip trough. Its noise reduction tool is stunningly effective and I think is the best I've tried of all daw.

Even the license if it is not free, it never expires, it can be used as often as you like without limitations, now if you like it you can purchase it and its worth doing it, because its cheap and all the other possibilities that offers..It's worth tasting it.

greetings [biggrin]


yea i just downloaded a free trial from Reaper and it looks amazingly easy and simple compared to Cubase. I use Cubase 5 right now but Reaper is becoming pretty attractive and it seems like its growing in popularity for ease of use. I might switch. Or integrate both.
0

#57 User is offline   mikesocarras 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 09-March 12

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

View PostRaysEpiphone, on 14 February 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

I started out using a DAW in recording school (Full Sail) back in the mid 1990's, if you are talking about a Non-dedicated system, I have a few Mac's with Digital Performer's DP5 and Bias Peak loaded onto them. I used Pro Tool's in school but I like DP better, this is probably because I've not been able to afford Pro Tool's so I just never used it after college. The version of DP5 I got has the competitive up-grade that came with some nice Mastering plug-in's, a channel strip, a sweet reverb and some other extra plug-in's that I have little use for. I just do basic one man-one acoustic guitar recordings ATM, I guess these extra plug-ins could be useful in some other format of music or production sound editing.

Yes, I know you can get a M-Audio box with Pro Tool's light on it for next to nothing but the MOTU interface's I have are most likely better than a cheep Pro-sumer set up. I don't have a studio set-up with proper constructed room's so my Tannoy Reveal monitor's are in storage with some other equipment I also own. I do have a good set of AKG 240 headphone's that have never let me down and I have a few usable LDC mic's..... 1 Audio-Technica 4047sv and 2 Studio Project's C1's. Of coarse I got a hand full of Shure SM57's and a few SM58's, every mic locker should have those 2 mic's. I've used a SM57 for everything and gotten good result's with it. I've got some SDC's as well, 3 $200.00(each) Audio Technica 30 Series, one uni and two omni's.... One of the AT omni's stopped working but to tell you the truth I hardly ever use them so it's no big deal right now.

I have a few outboard processors that I don't use much ether but they are very usable unit's. Aphex 107 (discontinued) mic pre and a Drawmer 4 channel Punch Gate (discontinued). I have 2 DBX graphic EQ boxes 1231 and a 131, they are used a lot in my live stage rig, for Time-based processor's I only have a Lexicon MPX200 (discontinued) multi-effect's unit, again this little baby is parked in my live stage rack.

I've got a Tascam 788 work station (discontinued) that stopped working a while back and I just haven't taken it to the shop to be fixed, it's a nice sounding portable dedicated machine. I do have a Fostex MR8 (red, also discontinued) that I got in 2003 or so, again a portable dedicated machine with not so hot pre amp's and a SD card for storage. The Fostex machine is not good for anything more than spoken-word archiving as it is compressed audio however the 788 Tascam unit actually sound's good for what I paid for it.

I also have a Tascam DR2d pocket recorder, witch is a small dedicated recorder that sound's every bit as good as the 788, I have the DR2d mounted on a cheep camera tri-pod and have used it at gig's with an external mic preamped through one of my mixer's. I was very impressed by the DR2d's sound quality so I will defiantly be on the look out for a good stand-alone mic that I can use with it as the on-board stereo pair's are total crap.


wuts up Ray its cool to see a Fullsail grad here. I did music biz though. finished in 08' but im in my 30's. Its grown a lot since then. Did you do the engineering degree?
I currently use Cubase 5 but am looking into reaper for ease of use ;)
0

#58 User is offline   mikesocarras 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 09-March 12

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostJeff196, on 02 February 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

Sequel 3 - bc the drums are the same as Cubase which rock...and it cost only $89 bones


nice..i wanna play...;)

so sequel 3 are ths same as Cubase. i like the drums in Cubase 5 just wondering if the other programs are better. probably..since they are geared solely to drums.
0

#59 User is offline   bobby b 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 329
  • Joined: 01-March 12
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:07 AM

Pro Tools HD rigs at work, and an M-Box at home.
2011 Hummingbird TV 'VOS'
1989 Les Paul Standard
1995 Fender Telecaster
1974 Yamaki 135
1971 Yamaki Folk Deluxe
1980 Fender FJ70 Jumbo
1984 Takamine F360S
1979 Fender F15 ( my first acoustic, bought new in 1980 )
0

#60 User is offline   mikesocarras 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 09-March 12

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:25 AM

View Postbobby b, on 10 March 2012 - 01:07 AM, said:

Pro Tools HD rigs at work, and an M-Box at home.


nice. so you use pro tools at home too of course...right? mbox come with protools?
0

Share this topic:


  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users