Gibson Brands Forums

What DAW do you use?

NoFrills

I found it to be easier to learn and use overall. It just seem to fit when I was starting out and it feels the same today and it's value for money for sure. I like the bundled software, Dimension Pro, Rapture, Zta3 and the abundance of effects and instruments. It has all you need it make good music in many genres.

I tried a few others eg samplitude. live, studio one but none of them grabbed me like Sonar did.

I listened to your songs on soundcloud.

Very well made!! [thumbup] Especially "Into the black" I liked very much.

Keep on rockin´

Nobody using ABLETON 8 SUITE ???

I use this after trying Cubase, Reaper, Fuity Loops and found out, that it´s the best for me. Easy to use, no connecting problems and lots of features.

All my hardware is shown below and the link to my music as well.

I use the low end Live Intro for some things. I like the quick and easy clips method for making up some drum or bass tracks and it is very stable. However, I did find the mixing process less than satisfactory which is why I switched to Reaper as my main DAW. There's room for both Reaper and Live in my setup though as the strengths of one makes up for the weakness of the other.

I started out using a DAW in recording school (Full Sail) back in the mid 1990's, if you are talking about a Non-dedicated system, I have a few Mac's with Digital Performer's DP5 and Bias Peak loaded onto them. I used Pro Tool's in school but I like DP better, this is probably because I've not been able to afford Pro Tool's so I just never used it after college. The version of DP5 I got has the competitive up-grade that came with some nice Mastering plug-in's, a channel strip, a sweet reverb and some other extra plug-in's that I have little use for. I just do basic one man-one acoustic guitar recordings ATM, I guess these extra plug-ins could be useful in some other format of music or production sound editing.

Yes, I know you can get a M-Audio box with Pro Tool's light on it for next to nothing but the MOTU interface's I have are most likely better than a cheep Pro-sumer set up. I don't have a studio set-up with proper constructed room's so my Tannoy Reveal monitor's are in storage with some other equipment I also own. I do have a good set of AKG 240 headphone's that have never let me down and I have a few usable LDC mic's..... 1 Audio-Technica 4047sv and 2 Studio Project's C1's. Of coarse I got a hand full of Shure SM57's and a few SM58's, every mic locker should have those 2 mic's. I've used a SM57 for everything and gotten good result's with it. I've got some SDC's as well, 3 $200.00(each) Audio Technica 30 Series, one uni and two omni's.... One of the AT omni's stopped working but to tell you the truth I hardly ever use them so it's no big deal right now.

I have a few outboard processors that I don't use much ether but they are very usable unit's. Aphex 107 (discontinued) mic pre and a Drawmer 4 channel Punch Gate (discontinued). I have 2 DBX graphic EQ boxes 1231 and a 131, they are used a lot in my live stage rig, for Time-based processor's I only have a Lexicon MPX200 (discontinued) multi-effect's unit, again this little baby is parked in my live stage rack.

I've got a Tascam 788 work station (discontinued) that stopped working a while back and I just haven't taken it to the shop to be fixed, it's a nice sounding portable dedicated machine. I do have a Fostex MR8 (red, also discontinued) that I got in 2003 or so, again a portable dedicated machine with not so hot pre amp's and a SD card for storage. The Fostex machine is not good for anything more than spoken-word archiving as it is compressed audio however the 788 Tascam unit actually sound's good for what I paid for it.

I also have a Tascam DR2d pocket recorder, witch is a small dedicated recorder that sound's every bit as good as the 788, I have the DR2d mounted on a cheep camera tri-pod and have used it at gig's with an external mic preamped through one of my mixer's. I was very impressed by the DR2d's sound quality so I will defiantly be on the look out for a good stand-alone mic that I can use with it as the on-board stereo pair's are total crap.

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to your songs on soundcloud.

Very well made!! [thumbup] Especially "Into the black" I liked very much.

Keep on rockin´

Thanks Oldhippie for taking the time to listen. Into the Black is an old favorite. I am only a bedroom player but I have fantasized more than once about being in front of a crowd playing this song and playing it loud.

Thanks again

McEye

• 2 weeks later...

Reaper!

Its vst routing shape is one of the most comfortable of the market and is not so complicated as Cubase, for example. Its a daw that weighs almost nothing and it is said that, along with Samplitude, have the best audio engines in the market .

In relation to PC processes, reaper is the king, I have had many tracks projects and it just consume 14% of the computer and using big VSTi.

I think it is he daw of the future and its price is more than ridiculous for what it offers. Without a doubt a great system for work and composition.

Even though I have a huge affection for adobe audition, in fact I still use mostly for editing guitar tracks when a noise slip trough. Its noise reduction tool is stunningly effective and I think is the best I've tried of all daw.

Even the license if it is not free, it never expires, it can be used as often as you like without limitations, now if you like it you can purchase it and its worth doing it, because its cheap and all the other possibilities that offers..It's worth tasting it.

greetings [biggrin]

yea i just downloaded a free trial from Reaper and it looks amazingly easy and simple compared to Cubase. I use Cubase 5 right now but Reaper is becoming pretty attractive and it seems like its growing in popularity for ease of use. I might switch. Or integrate both.

I started out using a DAW in recording school (Full Sail) back in the mid 1990's, if you are talking about a Non-dedicated system, I have a few Mac's with Digital Performer's DP5 and Bias Peak loaded onto them. I used Pro Tool's in school but I like DP better, this is probably because I've not been able to afford Pro Tool's so I just never used it after college. The version of DP5 I got has the competitive up-grade that came with some nice Mastering plug-in's, a channel strip, a sweet reverb and some other extra plug-in's that I have little use for. I just do basic one man-one acoustic guitar recordings ATM, I guess these extra plug-ins could be useful in some other format of music or production sound editing.

Yes, I know you can get a M-Audio box with Pro Tool's light on it for next to nothing but the MOTU interface's I have are most likely better than a cheep Pro-sumer set up. I don't have a studio set-up with proper constructed room's so my Tannoy Reveal monitor's are in storage with some other equipment I also own. I do have a good set of AKG 240 headphone's that have never let me down and I have a few usable LDC mic's..... 1 Audio-Technica 4047sv and 2 Studio Project's C1's. Of coarse I got a hand full of Shure SM57's and a few SM58's, every mic locker should have those 2 mic's. I've used a SM57 for everything and gotten good result's with it. I've got some SDC's as well, 3 $200.00(each) Audio Technica 30 Series, one uni and two omni's.... One of the AT omni's stopped working but to tell you the truth I hardly ever use them so it's no big deal right now.

I have a few outboard processors that I don't use much ether but they are very usable unit's. Aphex 107 (discontinued) mic pre and a Drawmer 4 channel Punch Gate (discontinued). I have 2 DBX graphic EQ boxes 1231 and a 131, they are used a lot in my live stage rig, for Time-based processor's I only have a Lexicon MPX200 (discontinued) multi-effect's unit, again this little baby is parked in my live stage rack.

I've got a Tascam 788 work station (discontinued) that stopped working a while back and I just haven't taken it to the shop to be fixed, it's a nice sounding portable dedicated machine. I do have a Fostex MR8 (red, also discontinued) that I got in 2003 or so, again a portable dedicated machine with not so hot pre amp's and a SD card for storage. The Fostex machine is not good for anything more than spoken-word archiving as it is compressed audio however the 788 Tascam unit actually sound's good for what I paid for it.

I also have a Tascam DR2d pocket recorder, witch is a small dedicated recorder that sound's every bit as good as the 788, I have the DR2d mounted on a cheep camera tri-pod and have used it at gig's with an external mic preamped through one of my mixer's. I was very impressed by the DR2d's sound quality so I will defiantly be on the look out for a good stand-alone mic that I can use with it as the on-board stereo pair's are total crap.

wuts up Ray its cool to see a Fullsail grad here. I did music biz though. finished in 08' but im in my 30's. Its grown a lot since then. Did you do the engineering degree?

I currently use Cubase 5 but am looking into reaper for ease of use ;)

Sequel 3 - bc the drums are the same as Cubase which rock...and it cost only $89 bones

nice..i wanna play...;)

so sequel 3 are ths same as Cubase. i like the drums in Cubase 5 just wondering if the other programs are better. probably..since they are geared solely to drums.

• 6 months later...

I'm still relatively new to the DAW world, but I really enjoy Studio One.

It's easy to use and does everything I need it to do.

I've used Pro Tools and Apple Logic in the past, and I've found Studio One can really hold it's own.

I'm no expert in the world of audio engineering, but if you're looking for a very easy program to use that's affordable and sounds great, I recommend Studio One. I'm very happy with the results I'm getting from it so far. I use it as a writing tool, recording, editing, mixing, and (now) mastering. It's a pretty nifty little program (especially with the drag and drop option. You don't even have to leave the home screen).

But like I said, I'm no expert on recording.

I personally didn't like Pro Tools or Logic because of the complexity within the programs. I was able to navigate my way through both programs, but with Studio One it took me no time at all to learn how to operate the program. I truly recommend this to anyone whose looking for an easy to use DAW.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm still using Sony ACID Pro and Sound Forge. I've tried lite versions of Cubase and Ableton, but I guess you work best with what you know. It looks like Sony is never going to upgrade ACID Pro again. I plan to buy a new computer soon and I'm bound to run into compatability issues sooner or later so I'm looking for something else. Ableton is popular but pricey and I'm not completely sold on Reaper. FL Studio (the old Fruity Loops) is selling surprisingly well. Not sure where to turn.

• 4 months later...

I have Studio One, but prefer using my old standby Cool Edit Pro (which I believe is the forerunner to Adobe Audition). It's not the most advanced, but is very full-featured for my needs and extremely stable. My songwriting partner has ProTools and Logic, but seems to prefer working with Logic.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I used to record in Logic (PC), then the band I was in at the time imploded, thus access was lost. For the last few years, I've run PreSonus Studio One. Remarkably crackly at a relatively low number of tracks - granted, I don't run it on the world's best computer - but financial considerations aside, I like it because I loooove the "Ampire" guitar amp plug-in.

I pre-amp the signal with an old works-if-you-kick-it V-Amp 2, and then fiddle with the Ampire settings/simulations.

The whole package was 200 bucks. Prolly be trial versions out there.. I'm way outdated, probably, but I get any and every sound I want out of it. YMMV.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...