Gibson Brands Forums

What DAW do you use?

NoFrills

Guest BentonC

My first choice is Pro Tools 10 native, but if I need to do a bounce quickly, I use Logic. Since I do mostly location work, I often have to bounce a 2 to 3 hour show for rough mixes, so sometimes it's hard to justify tying up the computer for that long.

I just upgraded to 10. How do you like it? Sounds like you're into the sound for picture world, so I'm sure you're probably loving some of the new features.

The only complaint I have thus far is having to "save session copy in" everytime I need it in ptf format. Unfortunately none of the studios I'm moving between are on 10 yet, so that's become a bit of an annoyance.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BentonC

I just upgraded to Protools 9 and I have to say that I'm loving it. It works great with my Mac.

Gotta love PT- I actually wish I could move back to 9 easily, but I just traded up on a Mac, and it came w/ Lion preinstalled, so rather than work on the buggy Beta version of 9, I'm choosing to grit my teeth and bare with it until the rest of the audio world is with 10...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice- how was the transition to Logic?

It wasn't too difficult on the recording side, I just needed to get my preamp working with it and get it so that I had what I wanted going off to separate buses and stuff. As for suddenly being able to individually treat eight channels of drums though, and learning how to mix them, that was one of the biggest challenges of my life [blink] Obviously it's a never ending process, but it is tough getting up to what you consider to be a good starting sound, from which you can use as a platform for this project or that project.

I have just downloaded Reaper and I have to say that it looks quite good to me, and the basics are fairly easy to follow.

It has similarities to Audacity, and to a video editing program I use

I record on a Korg 3200 ... what a great machine :)

I also use a Korg 3200............And Reaper, and Sonar Producer X-1...............

• Upvote 1

Guest BentonC

As for suddenly being able to individually treat eight channels of drums though, and learning how to mix them, that was one of the biggest challenges of my life [blink] Obviously it's a never ending process, but it is tough getting up to what you consider to be a good starting sound, from which you can use as a platform for this project or that project.

LOL- join the club. Drums are universally considered to be some of the most difficult instruments to work with by most engineers. Don't worry though- the more you play around, the more comfortable you get! [thumbup]

Guest BentonC

Pro Tools LE 8 for a year now and I'm still loving' it.

Nothing wrong with that my friend- still debating on whether or not to downgrade from PT10. PT8 was great- still use it all the time!

I am running Sonar 7. Others are using X1 version after I guess 8.5.3 whatever.

I could upgrade but for now and what I do, it is enough, and I have an older computer (32-bit XP).

I don't think everyone has stable drivers for audio interfaces for Windows 7 yet, so some are lagging behind.

Always can use I guess Music Creator 6 version (I still have version 4 but only can record in 44100 probably 16 bit).

I can go up to 24-bit with Sonar 7 and with my new audio interface - 192kHz sample rate but always you end up making

it 48000 sample rate or 44100 rate since videos and CDs only handle that and still at 16-bits.

I don't use plug-ins as of yet, perhaps someday I will, probably not, not that they are bad, but they cost a lot,

and I probably would need a newer better 64-bit computer to do that, and still some of those are not all that great

either yet.

Some comes with Cakewalk but I haven't use any plugins.

Guest BentonC

I am running Sonar 7. Others are using X1 version after I guess 8.5.3 whatever.

I could upgrade but for now and what I do, it is enough, and I have an older computer (32-bit XP).

I don't think everyone has stable drivers for audio interfaces for Windows 7 yet, so some are lagging behind.

Always can use I guess Music Creator 6 version (I still have version 4 but only can record in 44100 probably 16 bit).

I can go up to 24-bit with Sonar 7 and with my new audio interface - 192kHz sample rate but always you end up making

it 48000 sample rate or 44100 rate since videos and CDs only handle that and still at 16-bits.

I don't use plug-ins as of yet, perhaps someday I will, probably not, not that they are bad, but they cost a lot,

and I probably would need a newer better 64-bit computer to do that, and still some of those are not all that great

either yet.

Some comes with Cakewalk but I haven't use any plugins.

Very cool- I believe Sonar supports VST plugins (correct me if I'm wrong), and there are a ton of free VST plugs and virtual instruments out there- much more than most other plugin formats. I'd recommend getting a few- even for just basic mixing- plus they are a ton of fun to use! Don't worry about not being 64-bit... Pro Tools still isn't even there yet (even with the newest version 10! it's only 32-bit floating)

Very cool- I believe Sonar supports VST plugins (correct me if I'm wrong), and there are a ton of free VST plugs and virtual instruments out there- much more than most other plugin formats. I'd recommend getting a few- even for just basic mixing- plus they are a ton of fun to use! Don't worry about not being 64-bit... Pro Tools still isn't even there yet (even with the newest version 10! it's only 32-bit floating)

BentonC tells you no lie there spacealf. There's so much free stuff out there that you probably couldn't try it all in a lifetime. It's definitely worth trying some of the reverbs, EQ's and compressors. A lot of them are as good or better than the paid for versions. Obviously virtual instruments are going to require some keyboard or MIDI programming skills but FX is just knob twiddling. Then there are the drum plugins. I've yet to hear a standalone drum machine at ten times the price that comes close to the $30.00 (currently) BFD Eco, and there are even ways of getting a comparable, multi-sample/multi-velocity kit for free. I'm still running XP 32Bit and there's no problem at all.

If you ever get interested, KVR Audio, although far from the only place, is a good place to start looking > http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php or just Google best free reverb/EQ/compressor vst (whatever you're looking for). It's a slippery slope though, and you do have to keep in mind that you're there to make music not audition plugins.

Guest BentonC

It's a slippery slope though, and you do have to keep in mind that you're there to make music not audition plugins.

Haha! So true. I can't tell you how many times I've caught myself playing around with plugins when I should have been busy mixing!

Pro Tools v9. [thumbup]

Upgraded/crossgraded over the years from v6.

I also use a 16 track digital machine for some initial sound 'capture', and then

transfer to Pro Tools, for mixing and mastering.

When I first started to record, it was a pair of 'half track' Ferrograph reel to reel

machines with valve pre amps. That was in the early sixties. As multitrack tape machines

became available, I moved on to Tascam 8, and then 16 track machines, with various mixing

desks. And now a computer with Pro Tools ! We have come a long way ! \:D/

Hey FredD

I started out on a Ferrograph too, although I started in the early 70's with the stereo, Dolby equipped 702D. Great machine, built like a tank compared to a Revox and weighed about as much as a tank too. Cost me 20 full weeks wages but worth every penny. I've still got some old cassette mixdowns from that machine and they sound much livlier than the digital recordings I do now.

.......... I've still got some old cassette mixdowns from that machine and they sound much livlier than the digital recordings I do now.

You're right there Jonny ! [thumbup]

I often find myself trying to recreate that 'analogue' feel, that was the end result of mastering down to half inch tape (running at 15 i.p.s.), and played back through Quad (valve) pre and power amplifiers, into Quad Electrostatic speakers !

Maybe it's 'rose tinted glasses', but I can never quite achieve it ! [unsure]

Life seemed so much more 'life like' before transistors ! [biggrin]

Guest BentonC

You're right there Jonny ! [thumbup]

I often find myself trying to recreate that 'analogue' feel, that was the end result of mastering down to half inch tape (running at 15 i.p.s.), and played back through Quad (valve) pre and power amplifiers, into Quad Electrostatic speakers !

Maybe it's 'rose tinted glasses', but I can never quite achieve it ! [unsure]

Life seemed so much more 'life like' before transistors ! [biggrin]

Just got into a big debate with a fellow audio geek buddy of mine about analog vs/ digital summing, and I'm totally with you both! There just isn't anything quite like a true analog signal. Granted, digital audio has come a very long way in recent years and I do have high hopes for the future, but for now, my mixes onto 1/2" tape from the API console, just sound better than anything I can come up with in the box...

• 2 weeks later...