Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-45 questions

majorscale

I recently purchased a used J-45 (2001). I am very pleased with the sound - I am noticing subtle things about the guitar that are quite different from my other go-to guitar (taylor) Any advice about care and feeding of this new beast would be greatly appreciated.

What's different from your other guitars?

Keep it in a temperature and humidity (42% is ideal) controlled environment. Keep it clean by wiping it down with a soft dry rag after each use. If you need better cleaning, you can moisten the rag. If you want to use polish, do so, but don't overdo it. I use Gibson Pump polish (white bottle with orange label).

What else do you need to know?

Welcome from another Taylor/Gibson lover....

I personally love the tonal differences between my Taylor, Gibson and my Legato handbuilt. All get pretty equal playing time and each has it's own personality.

One interesting thing I have found out is that I am crazy about Elixir Nano PB's (12-54 gauge) on all three guitars. I am primarily a fingerstyle player but I do pull out a pick and strum too and the Elixir PB's just seem to make each guitar sing. (Plus they last a very long time!)

Other than that, you should know that the Gibson has a Nitrocellouse finish which is somewhat more fragile than the Taylor UV finish. I like both but I am more careful about what touches the Nitro finish like rubber on a music stand or a strap in the case. I got bug spray on my Gibson once and it took a very long time and lot's of buffing to get it back into good shape. Never had that problem with the UV finish that is on my Taylor. (Done after several years of owning it when I had it refinished at the Taylor factory.) To keep both guitars clean and pretty, I pretty much just use a slightly damp 100% cotton baby diaper cloth to wipe it down and then dry with a second cloth diaper. Just like your Taylor, humdification is important as they are both solid wood instruments. I live in MN where during the winter RH is down below 20 degrees sometimes. All my acoustics live in the case with humdification then. During the summer my music room stays between 45 and 55 degrees RH and can sit in their stands waiting for me to pick them up at any time! (I will be missing summer soon!)

One last thing that I found to be the biggest difference is the feel of the neck. Again, I attribute this to the finish. My Taylor has a very smooth satin finish and is the neck I judge all other guitars by. The Gibson was kind of sticky at first due to the Nitro finish. At the recommendation of several luthiers on the Acoustic Guitar Forum, I knocked some of the finish off with 0000 steel wool. A few swipes up and down the back of the neck makes all the difference in feel and really is not noticable by looking at it. After a few weeks or so of playing, the neck is re-glossed due to contact with my hand but a few more swipes with the steel wool and I am back in business with a neck that doesn't feel sticky. The luthiers indicated that this is done all the time by professional players with no adverse effect to the finish or the neck of the guitar.

For you J-45 lovers out there...

A 1996 Custom shop J-45 Koa just got listed on my local Minneapolis Craigslist here: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/871289716.html

Man... do I ever have GAS after seeing that! His title list's it as a 2006 but the ad and photos indicate 1996. Probably a typo on his part in the title. Says it was one of only 20 built? I dont' know but it sure looks nice.

Just a heads up for you Minnesota and Wisconsin J-45 fans out there.

Archived