Gibson Guitar Board: How Do You Restring a Gibson Les Paul Studio? - Gibson Guitar Board

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Do You Restring a Gibson Les Paul Studio?

#1 User is offline   rjames1973 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

I have a relatively new Gibson Les Paul Studio. I tried to restring it for the first time today after having it set up and restrung a couple of months ago by my local guitar tech. When I took the strings off, the stop bar tailpiece came out immediately. I put it back in when I went to restring the guitar, but when I started to tighten the low E string, the tailpiece came out again and will not go back in. Could someone please tell me how to restring this thing? It's a complete mystery to me. I've never owned a Gibson Les Paul before, so this is a learning experience for me. Does the fact that the tailpiece came out mean that the intonation is now messed up? Thanks for the help! [sad]

#2 User is offline   ajzwart 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:33 PM

There ya go lol
Current Gear Lineup

Guitars:
2013 Fender FSR Jazz Bass
2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
2011 Seagull Entourage Cutaway
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Studio
A.J. Zwart Custom Guitars Gold Stratocaster

Amplifiers:
Vox AC4
SWR Working Pro 12

#3 User is offline   ajzwart 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

And no, the tailpiece coming out will not mess up the intonation, seeing as it should go right back into place!
Current Gear Lineup

Guitars:

Amplifiers:
Vox AC4
SWR Working Pro 12

#4 User is offline   rjames1973 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

Thanks, ajzwart. So, why is my tailpiece coming out and his isn't?

There ya go lol
[/quote]

#5 User is offline   ajzwart 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:51 PM

rjames1973, on 28 August 2011 - 01:48 PM, said:

Thanks, ajzwart. So, why is my tailpiece coming out and his isn't?

Mine comes out sometimes too. Its normal! Nothing to be afraid of. Just try putting in the high E and low E strings in at the same. It can be a little persnickety, but nothing to FRET over [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]
Current Gear Lineup

Guitars:

Amplifiers:
Vox AC4
SWR Working Pro 12

#6 User is offline   ajzwart 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:53 PM

In fact, over three years of owing epiphone les pauls, the tailpiece never came out. First time i change the strings on my Gibson when i got it, it fell right out! Scared me for a second, me actually. Next time I changed the strings on my Epi, the I pulled on the tailpiece, and sure enough, it came out. Seems like it is made to do that, so should be normal.
Current Gear Lineup

Guitars:

Amplifiers:
Vox AC4
SWR Working Pro 12

#7 User is offline   BigKahune 

• Just plain Member
  • LocationEarth

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

rjames1973, on 28 August 2011 - 01:48 PM, said:

.... So, why is my tailpiece coming out and his isn't?

Did you watch the video?

One string at a a time. . . . . Your tailpiece doesn't lock on. The tension (pull) of the strings holds it in place. If you removed all the strings, nothing is holding the tailpiece in place and it falls off the anchors and scratches your top.

Change strings one string at a time. If you want to clean you neck, clean it with the old strings on and then change strings - one string at a time.

In the situation you've got now, put the 2 E strings into the tailpiece; set the tailpiece on the anchors and then use a capo to clamp the strings in place on the fretboard, which in turn will hold the tailpiece in place while you put the strings ends into the tuning pegs. Once the strings are on the pegs, put some tension on the strings and you can remove the capo and put on the rest of the strings.
13 Gibson CS Advanced Jumbo R/Spruce..O12 Gibson Southern Jumbo TV....O11 RainSong JM-3000 12
11 Martin 000-15M Elderly LE....................O10 Gibson ES-359......................o10 Rickenbacker 360/12
09 Jackson PC-1.....................................O09 Fender 52 Telecaster AVS..ooO08 Gibson SJ-200 (Colosi S/P)
08 Gibson Robot SG LTD........................oO08 Fender Am/Dlx Stratocaster.....08 Gibson Les Paul Push Tone
07 Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II.....................o07 Guild F412...........................O07 Taylor NS74ce
98 Martin D-45VR.....................................097 Guild X-700 Stuart.................O73 Yamaha G-55A
65 Gibson Melody Maker.............................Amps: Bogner Alchemist (Head/212Cab);. Line6 Spider Jam & Micro Spider
..............................................................oKeyboard: 06 Yamaha DGX220

#8 User is offline   rjames1973 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

ajzwart,

Thanks again for the help. I forgot to mention that I took ALL of the strings off at the same time, as I wanted to clean the frets and apply a little Guitar Honey. I know that is not the recommended method to restring the guitar, though. I'm terrible at these things, so I'm probably just going to take the guitar to my local guitar tech or GC tomorrow to have them restring it.

#9 User is offline   lashurst 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBirmingham. UK

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:01 PM

Just put the fourth string on loosely then.

#10 User is offline   rjames1973 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

BigKahune,

I guess I screwed up royally on my first Gibson Les Paul restringing, huh? I'm a Fender Strat owner, so this is completely new to me. I'll try the method you suggested, but I'll probably just take the guitar to my local guitar tech or GC tomorrow to have them restring it.

BigKahune, on 28 August 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

Did you watch the video?

One string at a a time. . . . . Your tailpiece doesn't lock on. The tension (pull) of the strings holds it in place. If you removed all the strings, nothing is holding the tailpiece in place and it falls off the anchors and scratches your top.

Change strings one string at a time. If you want to clean you neck, clean it with the old strings on and then change strings - one string at a time.

In the situation you've got now, put the 2 E strings into the tailpiece; set the tailpiece on the anchors and then use a capo to clamp the strings in place on the fretboard while you string the ends to the tuning pegs. Once the strings are on the pegs, put some tension on the strings and you can remove the capo and put on the rest of the strings.

#11 User is offline   BigKahune 

• Just plain Member
  • LocationEarth

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

As long as your guitar is okay, no problem.

TonePros make a locking tailpiece - a set screw on each wing hold the tailpiece in place - http://www.musicians...cking-tailpiece

Posted Image
13 Gibson CS Advanced Jumbo R/Spruce..O12 Gibson Southern Jumbo TV....O11 RainSong JM-3000 12
11 Martin 000-15M Elderly LE....................O10 Gibson ES-359......................o10 Rickenbacker 360/12
09 Jackson PC-1.....................................O09 Fender 52 Telecaster AVS..ooO08 Gibson SJ-200 (Colosi S/P)
08 Gibson Robot SG LTD........................oO08 Fender Am/Dlx Stratocaster.....08 Gibson Les Paul Push Tone
07 Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II.....................o07 Guild F412...........................O07 Taylor NS74ce
98 Martin D-45VR.....................................097 Guild X-700 Stuart.................O73 Yamaha G-55A
65 Gibson Melody Maker.............................Amps: Bogner Alchemist (Head/212Cab);. Line6 Spider Jam & Micro Spider
..............................................................oKeyboard: 06 Yamaha DGX220

#12 User is offline   LOSTVENTURE 

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

Things could always be worse. You could be playing a Steinway.

#13 User is offline   lashurst 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBirmingham. UK

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:06 AM

I think the statement that a 'Tone-pro' bridge or tailpiece aids sustain is rubbish.
All the screws do is hold it in place when re-stringing. The tension with the strings on negates the point of screws.

#14 User is offline   nitefly 

• LocationRome, Italy

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:55 PM

BigKahune, on 28 August 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

Did you watch the video?

In the situation you've got now, put the 2 E strings into the tailpiece; set the tailpiece on the anchors and then use a capo to clamp the strings in place on the fretboard, which in turn will hold the tailpiece in place while you put the strings ends into the tuning pegs. Once the strings are on the pegs, put some tension on the strings and you can remove the capo and put on the rest of the strings.

Hi there

+1 - One string at a time. I believe it is also a good idea to tune up each string as it is replaced before moving on to the next one. The info in the following link is also somewhat helpful (for next time [smile] ). http://www.gibson.co...0your%20Guitar/

Nitefly
**** Guitars ****
2010 Gibson Les Paul R8 VOS
2013 Gibson 1959 ES335 Dot reissue
2010 Gibson Les Paul '08 Standard (Sold)
Parker Nitefly SA1
Taylor Big Baby

#15 User is offline   Pure Evil Music 

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

I remember when I bought my first non trem guitar. It was an Epi SG. Same thing happened to me. Took all the strings off because I figured I'd give a good cleaning, then DING! The tailpiece falls. I freaked out and called my buddy that worked at our local repair shop. He had a good laugh at my expense. Built it up to be some major catastrophe, then leveled with me and told me it was no big deal and to keep the D and G string on while changing the other 4, then do those 2 last.

#16 User is offline   rjames1973 

• Advanced Member

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:45 AM

All,

Thanks for all of the replies. I still haven't restrung the guitar after my minor fiasco over the weekend. Lesson learned. I'm probably just going to take the guitar to my local guitar tech and have him restring it this time. Is it alright to keep all of the strings off of the guitar for a few days? I wasn't sure if this would cause any issues with the neck tension or set up I had done on the guitar a few months ago.

#17 User is offline   Wild_Rose 

• I Love my Les Paul!!!
  • LocationGreece

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

I found this is the best and probably easiest way to restring my LP.

2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Silverburst

#18 User is offline   Eracer_Team 

• More Gear than Tallent

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

so you now know the tail stop can fall off.. no biggie.

just make sure when you take off all the strings your ready to grab the stop and put it aside before it scratches the top.
Clean the guitar
then start stringing..
only get the strings started which will hold the stop tail and bridge in place.
Then bring it up to tune.

#19 User is offline   rjames1973 

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

All,

Thanks again for all of the replies and videos. I will definitely refer back to this thread when I need to restring my LP Studio again! Yes, lesson learned.

#20 User is offline   kaicho8888 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCity of Rock'n Roll San Francisco

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

A quick tip:

Since I always change all my string at the same time and also clean my fretboard, I put a little masking tape on the tail piece and on the bridge thumb wheels to prevent movement. I can then clean the fretboard and install the new strings without changing any of my settings.

[thumbup]
Old Rockers never die; we just fade away! 会長

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users