Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Gibson J45 Spruce/rosewood/mahogany?

CamTheMan123

I LOVE Gibson J45 acoustics, and I also really like the advanced jumbo. I was wondering if the J45 (Spruce top, mahogany back/sides) would sound good if it was built with a spruce top, rosewood sides, and a mahogany back? I would love a sort of tonal "hybrid" (so to speak) of the j45 and advanced jumbo (the AJ has rosewood back and sides.))

Also, would a j45 with a spruce top, mahogany sides, and a rosewood back be even better? Thanks!! (Please keep in mind, this is my first post. I just love my 2007 Gibson SG, and would love to hear from some fellow Gibson lovers)

Hep for your first post CamTheMan123 - and for a slightly peculiar Q. I been flowing a bit in the same vein, but a luthier told me that sides play a lesser role when it comes to sound. Think about it – lay your hands on the upper side after punching a chord - there's no real vibration while the back clearly moves in front of your belly.

As a 3-piece back Mart. D-35 owner, I began fantasizing about a mixed back. Rose/hog/rose maybe the other way around. Then again I had to leave it. It would be too complicated to measure – it would take a too scientific approach to find out what was goin' on, , , and it would most likely weird up my acoustic temple.

However, if anyone has experiences – weird or not – it could be exiting to know. . .

How about rosewood/maple?

Yeaahh - the dream-combos go on, , , , maybe a triad : Hog - Koa - Bubinga, , , and we could introduce a double top too – half Cedar, half Adirondack. . .

Hold it please - I get zig-zags and doodles and noodles springing from my head !

Let authorized guides take over -

Well you might get the best by combining the two tonewoods in the back in sides but MORE LIKELY you will not get either tone as well. Sorta like a fish and ski boat .... won't pull as sick prostatute outa bed and ill designed to fish from. Or a sports car with a back seat ... or .... well you get the point. Best bet is to try a new J45 Custom for the playability of a J45 and the tone of an AJ.

If you're trying to land somewhere in the middle, perhaps a custom order J-45 with walnut back & sides?

Like the Jackson Browne model but not as thick ..have you heard it? Man, it's thick and rich sounding .... one strum and you are reminded of Browne's music and his most excellent understated guitar playing.

Well you might get the best by combining the two tonewoods in the back in sides but MORE LIKELY you will not get either tone as well. Sorta like a fish and ski boat .... won't pull as sick prostatute outa bed and ill designed to fish from. Or a sports car with a back seat ... or .... well you get the point. Best bet is to try a new J45 Custom for the playability of a J45 and the tone of an AJ.

Guess this have to do with the various nature and vibrations of the different woods. They would obstruct or inhibit each other. . .

Also, would a j45 with a spruce top, mahogany sides, and a rosewood back be even better?

If you're interested in this kind of mix, at least three of the first full batch of Southerner Jumbos in 1942, #910, had rosewood rims and mahogany backs. (On the rest, both the rims and backs were rosewood.) So duplicating that combo might be a nice option for historical reasons, even if it turns out not to make much, if any, tonal difference.

And, as for D-35-like backs, I have a J-200 with koa rims and a koa/maple/koa 3-piece back that worked out beautifully. I'm not a big fan of the koa J-200s I've played -- they don't sound like J-200s to me, too "mellow" (for lack of a better word) -- but this one is great. I can't help thinking that maybe the maple panel makes a difference, even though I know generalizing from one example is a bad idea.

-- Bob R

Archived