Gibson Brands Forums

1983 Les Paul Standard

LAEqualizer

Well, where to start. First off I would like to have the same pickups that came in the mid 70's Customs. Can someone tell me which pickups came in those? Right now I have Classic 59's in the neck and bridge. Also, I would like to know how much difference in tone can I gain if I change out the Nashville Tuneomatic with a Kalamazoo ABR-1? ( I do realize this requires Luthier attention)

And last, but not least, what are the best tuners? I have Grovers currently.

Thanks

Well, where to start. First off I would like to have the same pickups that came in the mid 70's Customs. Can someone tell me which pickups came in those? Right now I have Classic 59's in the neck and bridge. Also, I would like to know how much difference in tone can I gain if I change out the Nashville Tuneomatic with a Kalamazoo ABR-1? ( I do realize this requires Luthier attention)

And last, but not least, what are the best tuners? I have Grovers currently.

Thanks

Hi and welcome and Congrats on the 83. The Guitar Pickups are suppose to the Tim Shaw PAF as the T-Tops were discontinue sometime in 1980. The Tuners are Gibson style Grover, but if want to change them over to actual Grover's then yeah go right ahead. As far as the difference between the Nashville TOM and ABR-1 TOM I don't know you could get a conversion kit from Callaham Guitars or buy TonePro Version of the Nashville TOM are replace the Tailpiece to Aluminum Tailpiece.

if you truly want an ABR1 get it done without the conversion kit

go to a luthier ask to have the bridge's screw in bushings removed and maple dowels to plug the holes. then have the abr1 posts drilled straight into the maple dowels. of course a good luthier will do a good job the result is a 1950-60's style ABR1 installation, increased sustain and tone transfer. the Norlin years (1970's) was the introduction to the bushings and nashville style bridges

as for tuners TBH whatever works for you, for me as long as they are tight and dont rattle im happy with the stock and I normally change everything

also if your changing the Nashville and Tuners then i would also look into the electornics.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, one upgrade accomplished. Just got thru installing a RS Guitarworks Vintage Upgrade kit with the Luxe-Bees. Guys, I am no Gibson expert, but when I was done, it sounded amazing to say the least. This guitar can go from a subtle purr, to downright screams and harmonics for days. The tone and volume control gained in this kit was worth every penny. I am satisfied and impressed. In fact, now I may not even swap the 57 Classics for Fralins. These pickups are awesome when you can control them properly.

THANK YOU RS GUITARWORKS!!!!

Archived