Gibson Brands Forums

1965 Gibson LG0

SweetTunes

Hi, I'm new to the forum although I'm not a guitar player.

I'm doing some research for my Dad. He just bought a 1965 Gibson LG0 and is very disappointed in his purchase. It is extremely had to play and doesn't have a nice sound. Are there any modifications that he can make to improve this guitar. He's thinking about just putting it back in the box and hiding it under the bed. I feel so sorry for him because he was so excited about getting this guitar. Obviously, he didn't see it before purchasing it...someone else purchased it for him and thought that he was doing a good deed.

Any suggestions you can give me, I'd so appreciate it...I'll pass it along to him.

In my experience, LG-0's can sound subjectively crappy to people who are not looking for a small boxy sound-that is pretty well suited to a Robert Johnson vibe. However, if the primary issue is that it is difficult to play, the action may be too high-which hopefully is an easy fix unless a neck reset is needed.

It will never sound big--with any alterations. If your dad likes the body size and is looking for something that is about the same value $$-wise and US made, but with a more traditional sound, a Martin 000-15 is a good option.

However, people will want to buy the LG-0 if he wants to sell it--there are people who look for the sound that the LG-0 offers. Everyone's ears and style are different.

Hope this helps. I like the LG-O and expect to own one someday (but I do not have room for one now).

Actually I have a '64 LGO.I took it to a guitar tech who took off the plastic nut and saddle, replaced them with bone, took off the plastic bridge and made a new one out of ebony, and adjusted the truss rod. It played and sounded like a TOTALLY different guitar.I told that story to a guy at gibson customer service while conversing about my J45 that I bought in'94 and he told me he hears that a lot.I now have the LGO,J45,AJ,and a SJ200.

Nearly everyone changes the original plastic bridge for a wooden one with a bone saddle on the LGO. Either because the original plastic bridge has broken and it is a necessity or because the original plastic bridge hadn't yet broken but didn't perform well (including sonically.) If this hasn't yet been changed on the guitar, you might want to pursue that, plus new strings (if not already on the guitar), and a proper luthier set up. I own an 1965 Epiphone FT30 Caballero (which was Epiphone's nearly identical mahogony model made side by side with the Gibson LGO in Gibson's Kalamazoo factory.) The instrument, with a new wooden bridge, bone saddle, and proper set up...sounds awesome. Not a dreadnaught larger sounding guitar, but a sweet, but also griddy sound. I will say, though, that the guitar really shines with a multiple of tones when it is fingerpicked. When simply strummed, it is a nice basic concert size guitar sound. Nothing deep and rich, but good in its basic small body sound. While I don't use my Caballero as my main guitar, I do keep going back to it regularly as a fun, interesting, and great sounding instrument for what it is...a versatile short scale small bodied guitar.

QM

• 1 year later...

This 65 LG0 is my little project...had to change the top and found one that belonged to a Martin 00 (engelmann spruce)...put on a rosewood bridge...and stumbled on a hummingbird pickguard (has to make it fit)...original and she's mine. very loud clear sound.

DSCN1512.jpg

Don't let your Dad give up on the LG0!

I owned. '68 B15 (the successor to the LG0) for a while before I had to part with it because I was changing record labels and needed some interim funds-I digress-and it was a great sounding guitar. Top notch small-body mahogany-top tones and good response.

I've played several superlative LG0s over the last few years. One in particular was out of this world, it'd had it's plastic bridge changed out for a rosewood unit, and had just been refretted, receiving with it a full pro setup. The thing was an absolute gun and played like butter.

So, in summary:

Book the LG0 in for a full pro setup

If the bridge is the original plastic unit, get it changed right away by the luthier doing the above job

Experiment with string gauges and blends (Phosphor bronze, 80/20 Bronze, 85/15 Bronze etc) to ascertain which suits the guitar and your Dad's hands best.

Good luck and wish your Dad all the best!

Archived