Gibson Brands Forums

Sam Ash online has 9 50th anv USA SG's listed

DiamondJig

I'm waiting for specs & actual photos of the new Angus before I order one. The pix that Sam Ash have up are of the recent Custom Shop Angus model, and I'll bet the new USA version will be nice, but not as nice as the Custom Shop version. The lightning bolts will most likely be smaller & will be made of acrylic rather than mother of pearl, the tuners will be plastic button Klusons rather than the metal button Grovers, pickups will be Gibson '58 classic neck/Angus bridge rather than the custom-wound Seymour Duncans, etc...

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing some long overdue SGs, especially the Frank Marino & Sideways Vibrola models.

Going on faith that I would like it, I called my local Gibson dealer this morning to reserve one of the 50th Anniversary Angus Young models, and unfortunately, this is the response they received from Gibson when they inquired about an estimated delivery date;

"The production of what was to be the 50th Anniversary Angus Young SG in Antique Cherry is on hiatus for the moment…it was in the works but hasn’t come to be yet."

While this doesn't necessarily mean the 50th Anniv. Angus model has been cancelled, it does not look promising...

Archived