Gibson Brands Forums

Help with the blues.

Hey guys, I'm rather new here, but this is the first place I though to go to for help. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to start learning to play the blues. Being a student without a car, not to mention trapped in a historic district, its hard for me to find someone to get lessons from. I have a lot of passion for this style of music, but I kinda feel like I'm starting late, being halfway through college and all. I hope you guys can help me out even a little, I've wasted enough time as it is. Thanks a ton in advance.

Welcome to the forums

Blues is a big subject....

Do you have knowledge of basic chords....major,minor,7th etc?

And scales, major,minor, pentatonic, blues?

All available on the internet

Then listen to and choose personal favourite styles and artists to emulate

Enjoy.....

V

:-({|=

Welcome to the forums

Blues is a big subject....

Do you have knowledge of basic chords....major,minor,7th etc?

And scales, major,minor, pentatonic, blues?

All available on the internet

Then listen to and choose personal favourite styles and artists to emulate

Enjoy.....

V

:-({|=

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I was asking was where to start. I know a fair bit of chords, so I guess just start in on scales?

Do you like acoustic blues or electric? What are your favorite records?

One of the most important things about being a blues player, is being a fan and experienced in listening to the blues. (true in any genre I should think). If you tell us what artist you listen to or like, we could make more recommendations on what else you might like.

Do you like acoustic blues or electric? What are your favorite records?

One of the most important things about being a blues player, is being a fan and experienced in listening to the blues. (true in any genre I should think). If you tell us what artist you listen to or like, we could make more recommendations on what else you might like.

Well by big inspirations are Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Howlin' Wolf. As well as the likes of ZZ Top and Keith Richards, Robert Johnson, and B.B. King. As for electric or acoustic, I favor electric, mostly because I'm far more comfortable using an electric guitar.

Hey guys, I'm rather new here, but this is the first place I though to go to for help. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to start learning to play the blues. Being a student without a car, not to mention trapped in a historic district, its hard for me to find someone to get lessons from. I have a lot of passion for this style of music, but I kinda feel like I'm starting late, being halfway through college and all. I hope you guys can help me out even a little, I've wasted enough time as it is. Thanks a ton in advance.

as a self-taught who has spent 20 years teaching himself, I strongly suggest that you enroll in a rock or blues guitar course in a music college. It's MUCH more cost-effective than seeing a private teacher , and you will learn MUCH faster than on your own. Trust me, I've been there. I am a good player but I invested 5 times more time and effort teaching myself than I would have invested had I learned in a music college.

Yeah, you might think 'what? Blues and studying don't mesh well togheter'. Well, that's a false belief. Yes the blues greats didn't learn in a school, but what worked for them doesn't mean it works for other people, unless, again, you want to spend a lot more time doing something that would cost a lot less time. Don't waste it, it's worth more than money

as a self-taught who has spent 20 years teaching himself, I strongly suggest that you enroll in a rock or blues guitar course in a music college. It's MUCH more cost-effective than seeing a private teacher , and you will learn MUCH faster than on your own. Trust me, I've been there. I am a good player but I invested 5 times more time and effort teaching myself than I would have invested had I learned in a music college.

Yeah, you might think 'what? Blues and studying don't mesh well togheter'. Well, that's a false belief. Yes the blues greats didn't learn in a school, but what worked for them doesn't mean it works for other people, unless, again, you want to spend a lot more time doing something that would cost a lot less time. Don't waste it, it's worth more than money

I'd love to, I wish I had made the decision to go to major in music instead of go to an art school, but at this point i might as well finish my degree. After, provided I have the spare cash (doubtful) I play on doing just that.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the same boat as you, but didn't have the time/money for lessons (2 new kids, work, etc). Anyway, I listened to as many real players as I could, and after a while, even-- I --got proficient at it. Listen to the big names. Freddy King (the best in my opinion-- watch him on youtube), Albert King, BB King, Mike Bloomfield, Stevie R Vaughn, Jimmi Hendrix Blues album (80% Albert King licks). Elmore James and some of the older folk are good to study, like Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf. If you listen to them, and play along for a while, you will get there. They are the foundation. Of course there are many, many others, but I thought these were the basic influences. Learn to play in the first, third and fifth position. Buy the Guitar Handbook and find out what scales are about.

Some of the older folk like Robert Johnson and Charlie Patton, Blind Willie McTell, Blind Lemon Jeffferson, and others were great in their time, but the music is very thin, and not real relevant to the way we play today. Of course that's my $.02., and I am sure not everyone will agree. Sorry to repeat some info from the excellent posts above.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In G.I. Blues, after I imform The King about the NCR Supply Drops, I'm told to go somewhere. In this area I go to, NCR and Pacer are fighting. The Fallout New Vegas Wiki tells me to talk to Elizibeth, but if I walk over to her, she and the NCR shoot me...

Any help?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kieth Richards once said "you must learn everything you play on an acoustic guitar first". Not an exact quote.

Someone else, maybe Buddy Guy, said that blues is a feeling. I can learn the notes, chords and rhythm of a blues song but somehow when I play it, it lacks the "feeling". Very frustrating.

• 2 months later...

Someone else, maybe Buddy Guy, said that blues is a feeling. I can learn the notes, chords and rhythm of a blues song but somehow when I play it, it lacks the "feeling".

So true. Blues isn't about learning at a school or from a book.

It's about conveying a feeling...and mostly it's misery.

Go to opens jams. You don't have to play, just observe. I grew up playing 80's hair metal (I started playing back in 1986 at the ripe age of 15). But always liked SRV. Starting going to a blues jam around 1999, and played there every Wednesday night for almost 3 years. I guess you could say I learn the blues by OJT (On the Job Training). After a stint playing in Hard Rock bands, I'm back to playing the blues. Hopefully for good this time!

• 7 months later...

Youtube has TONS of lessons waiting for you! I've found most things I've wanted help with have been covered; it's an awesome resource.

I'd suggest Marty's 'guitarjamzdotcom' account would have dozens to get your teeth into..

http://www.youtube.com/user/guitarjamzdotcom/videos?view=0

There are a few brilliant Orville Johnson lessons;

This guy's brilliant;

I'm sure there are plenty of others, but maybe these suggestions might interest you. There are also plenty of performances to study, jam tracks to play along with, etc.

Archived