Gibson Brands Forums

How to spot a fake Les Paul

cam011235

Can you fake a serial number? Im looking at buying a used honey Burst traditional 2013, Ive checked the serial number on the head stock with the guitar dater web site and it confirms the guitar was built at the nashville plant, at least that serial number.

This can happen. Some reputable dealers provide pictures showing finishes and serial numbers of actual guitars. Anyone could fake a guitar using these informations, and an inquiry using only these informations would suggest it's legit.

... Ive checked the serial number on the head stock with the guitar dater web site ...

Faked serials do show up - a number never issued by Gibson. And sometimes real serials are taken from genuine Gibson guitars and stamped on fakes.

The only thing that the guitar dater website does is decode info contained in the serial if the serial in question fits the 'formula' used by Gibson. It doesn't verify that a guitar with that serial was made by Gibson or the model, finish, and hardware information. A complicating factor is Gibson has some serials that don't fit the standard formula. Furthermore, Gibson does not share it's records with anyone, including Guitar Dater Project. But, Gibson will verify a guitar/serial if you email service@gibson.com with the serial number and a pic or two (2mb limit) - this is the best why to go. Also, there are some very knowledgeable members here, if you need a quick determination, you could also post pics here and members will provide opinions on the authenticity of the guitar.

Faked serials do show up - a number never issued by Gibson. And sometimes real serials are taken from genuine Gibson guitars and stamped on fakes.... if you email service@gibson.com with the serial number and a pic or two (2mb limit) - this is the best why to go...

This is excellent advice.

Furthermore Gibson Customer Service can tell exactly what finish was on each guitar which is one more aspect of their security.

So far it doesn't seem like there is much in the way of faked Traditionals - they tend to replicate Standards and, occasionally Supremes - but, of course, slapping a Trad TRC on a fake is a piece of cake.

In the meantime if you'd care to post the link to the ebay auction here I'm sure plenty of folks will be able to offer advice.

P.

Awesome, first of all thank you for the quick replies. I have sent a message to service@lespaul.com. http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-Gibson-Les-Paul-Traditional-2013-honeyburst-W0QQAdIdZ591014091 this is the link to the add. It looks good to me, but I just want to be sure. I plan on opening up the pots and truss rod cover for inspection as well when I see it. I'd like to but it new but my wife won't let me ;)

Yes; it all looks good to me, too.

Absolutely nothing off about it from those snaps.

I'm sure you already know this but the codes should read something like 1371326.

This translates as Chicago Telephone Supply (137 - Gibson's usual supplier) 2013 and the pots were made in the 26th week of that year.

If it says 13712xx then it just means the pots were made in 2012 etc.

Good luck!

P.

The 1371326 serial number, something similar to that should be on the pots when I pop the cover. I'm new to the gibson world. Thanx for the help.

Somewhat smaller number of weeks. Since the guitar serial number says 157th day of 2013, and assembly is likely to have happened within ten to twenty days after, the pots won't be made after the 24th week of 2013.

Somewhat smaller number of weeks. Since the guitar serial number says 157th day of 2013, and assembly is likely to have happened within ten to twenty days after, the pots won't be made after the 24th week of 2013.

Cool! Gibson emailed back saying everything seems to be consistent so that's good.

[laugh]

Well, the 1371326 number I just pulled out of thin air to illustrate the numbering system in place....

So you may well be right, cap!

[thumbup]

P.

So I did a bit more searching after getting dumped by the first Guy and Found a Carmel Burst 2013 Trad. Its a 2hr drive but I'm heading that way anyway to visit some friends across the province.

Thanks again for your help, I'll post a pic once I get her :)

• 2 months later...

I bought my Les Paul from E-Bay, but, the seller was only 40 miles from me.

I probably paid too much, but I got to see it in person before forking over the cash.

Even then, the fakes are so good, and I'm new, that I took it to my luthier straight from the seller's house.

They inspected the wiring, the pots, and the file marks on the binding, and blessed it as genuine.

Phew!

Archived