Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 1963 Historic Block reissue

carlo_lau

Hi all, I've just bought a 1963 Historic ES 335 Block reissue. It's my second 335, cause I have another one, a Standard dot reissue, since 2001.

These two guitars sound quite different: the 1963 block has much less bottom end and is less mid-rangy than the 2001 dot reissue.

How is this possible?

I play jazz, so I must admit that I would like a more warmer sound from my new 63 block reissue..

Could it be because the 63 block reissue has CTS 500k audio (logaritmic) pots and bumblebee capacitors, while the standard dot has 300k linear pots and 0.22 disk capacitors?

Than you very much.

Carlo

I just got a block inlay 335, and although it's not the 63 reissue, it does have the 57 classics (that I assume are on your 335) on it. I also have a 335 dot, and yes, the two guitars do sound and feel different to me. The neck on the 335 block feels slimmer than the one on the dot. The tone is different, like you said, not as mid-rangy, but does have plenty of bottom (through my amp, anyway. a Roland JC120). I like the sound and feel of the block 335 much more than the dot. In fact, I'm giving the dot to one of my sons.

I just got a block inlay 335' date=' and although it's not the 63 reissue, it does have the 57 classics (that I assume are on your 335) on it. I also have a 335 dot, and yes, the two guitars do sound and feel different to me. The neck on the 335 block feels slimmer than the one on the dot. The tone is different, like you said, not as mid-rangy, but does have plenty of bottom (through my amp, anyway. a Roland JC120). I like the sound and feel of the block 335 much more than the dot. In fact, I'm giving the dot to one of my sons.[/quote']

If you bought the new 335 Block Inlay, you don't have 57 Classics - they're Burstbucker Pros. The only 335 without 57s. I have the same one - Antique Teaburst...beautifl guitar! http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/es/335BlockNeck/335BlockNeck.html

carlo_lau - I don't think your 63 RI has CTS and bumblebee caps. It doesn't mention it on the site. http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/es/335Block/63ES335Block.html

It sure is a beauriful guitar. It feels good too. Can't keep my hands off of it. But the description by Sweetwater (where I bought it) said it had 57's on them. I was under the impression that the burstbuckers came on the new block inlays that just came out and that Sweetwater hadn't started offering them yet. If they are burstbuckers, it would explain why the block inlay sounds different than my dot.

Whatever they are, they do sound good, and I'm so glad I got this guitar! :-({|=

I just got a block inlay 335' date=' and although it's not the 63 reissue, it does have the 57 classics (that I assume are on your 335) on it. I also have a 335 dot, and yes, the two guitars do sound and feel different to me. The neck on the 335 block feels slimmer than the one on the dot. The tone is different, like you said, not as mid-rangy, but does have plenty of bottom (through my amp, anyway. a Roland JC120). I like the sound and feel of the block 335 much more than the dot. In fact, I'm giving the dot to one of my sons.[/quote']

Hi,

I have the 57 classics on both my 335 dot reissue and the historic 1963 block reissue. I am sure because I measured the impedance of the pickups with a tester (the 57 classic measures approx. 7.6, a burstbucker has an higher impedance).

As regards the tone of the two intruments I own, for me is the complete opposite of your situation: much more boottom end and mids from the 335 dot, while more sparkling sound and less bottom from the historic 1963 block reissue.

This is due to the different potentiometers installed on the two guitars. The standard dot has 300k linear pots, which let more highs bleeding off to ground. The historic 1963 block has 500k logarithmic pots which have a higher resonant frequency and retain more highs then 300k pots, even when turning down the volume at a low level.

Since I play jazz I prefer more the tone of my standard dot, but I have to admit that with 500k logarithmic potentiometers one has so much possibilities to balance sound, that I can recreate the slightly darker sound of my dot. (no remedy for the lost low frequencies, though)

Anyway, this 335 block neck new guitar from Memphis is very interesting.

Does it have middle-sized Jumbo frets installed?

I have to say that, in terms of precision of an instrument, my Memphis dot 335 is much better manufactured than the 63 block reissue from Nashville.

The 63 block has a twisted neck, but the fingerboard is quite straight. Moreover, the neck is not a slim taper, but a fat neck (the one used on '59 reissue)

Why the hell they mounted a twisted fat neck on a 63 block reissue, at nashville? I have lost all the consideration I had for them..

If you bought the new 335 Block Inlay' date=' you don't have 57 Classics - they're Burstbucker Pros. The only 335 [u']without[/u] 57s. I have the same one - Antique Teaburst...beautifl guitar! http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/es/335BlockNeck/335BlockNeck.html

carlo_lau - I don't think your 63 RI has CTS and bumblebee caps. It doesn't mention it on the site. http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/es/335Block/63ES335Block.html

The new 335 block Inlay form Memphis is a very interesting guitar.

Memphis is making guitars a lot better than Nashville these days..

As regards my historic 1963 block reissue, I am sure it has bumblebee caps because they are clearly visible through the f-hole (they really look like a big black bee with coloured stripes; I also serched the web for pictures of them and they are undoubtly sprague BB caps). I don't exactly know if the pots are from CTS, but they look identical to the pictures of current CTS 500k long shaft pots (taken from different sites). For sure they are 500k logarithmic and have a long shaft. they are also harder to turn then the 300k I have on my dot.

500 k pots make a guitar pickup sound sparkler sounding and with less bottom...

I wish I had knew of the new block inlay before buying this historic 63 reissue.

Historic, what a silly idea... in 2008!

Design department at gibson guitars is really poor..

Archived