Gibson Brands Forums

SG With Input Jack On Edge

Bluesbanger

Hello, Brothers and Sisters,

I recently picked up an '86 SG Standard and the input jack is on the edge of the body, not on the front. I've heard a lot of opinions as to why this was done, from "it's rare", to "it only appeared on a '62 RI", to "they just did that a few years". O.k., what's the deal? Why did they do that and for how many years? I like it on the edge, stays out of the way like on my Les Pauls. Anyone really know why this was done? Thanks!

Peace,

Bluesbanger

Gibson has moved the jack a bit over the years, but I'm not sure what the reason is, or was. I've got an 08 side-jack SG. In the days of long jack chords, a snagged cord could break the top jack out because of the cavity route leaving the top thin. OTOH, I've seen the side jacks ripped out too.

Previous side-jack thread - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/60371-side-jack-sgs/page__p__817414__hl

My 08 side-jack -

2008-SG side-sm.jpg

Hello, Brothers and Sisters,

I recently picked up an '86 SG Standard and the input jack is on the edge of the body, not on the front. I've heard a lot of opinions as to why this was done, from "it's rare", to "it only appeared on a '62 RI", to "they just did that a few years". O.k., what's the deal? Why did they do that and for how many years? I like it on the edge, stays out of the way like on my Les Pauls. Anyone really know why this was done? Thanks!

Peace,

Bluesbanger

During many visits to Reliable Music in Charlotte, N.C. in the 1980's

this new body style was said to be 'The New SG'

and that the older design would be phased out completely.

Gibson was out to change it at one point

Archived