Gibson Brands Forums

If you don't have one now's the time!

daveinspain

That is a great price' date=' considering.

I wonder though if it's to promote them or because they're not selling.[/quote']

Mike said the idea behind the price drop is that Gibson wants to get these guitars in as many hands as possible.... I guess its like an investment for the future...

Oh man' date=' in Silverburst too. Tempting. Can anyone tell me if those Robot LPs are available with the 60's neck? [/quote']

My robot has a 60's neck....

I have a question about the tuning range. The tunings I use besides standard are: Drop D, Open G, C#, and Drop B. Can Robot LPs be setup so that it can range from standard all the way to Drop B? What I am getting at is what about the action height? Does that self adjust too? Normally if I have a guitar setup for standard tuning then I get bad string buzz if I tune down to Drop B. Which is one of the reason for having multiple guitars of course. You guys understand what I am asking? For that price I am seriously considering getting a Silverburst if I can find one with a 60s neck without having to go to Spain.

I have a question about the tuning range. The tunings I use besides standard are: Drop D' date=' Open G, C#, and Drop B. Can Robot LPs be setup so that it can range from standard all the way to Drop B? What I am getting at is what about the action height? Does that self adjust too? Normally if I have a guitar setup for standard tuning then I get bad string buzz if I tune down to Drop B. Which is one of the reason for having multiple guitars of course. You guys understand what I am asking? For that price I am seriously considering getting a Silverburst if I can find one with a 60s neck without having to go to Spain. [/quote']

Hahahah... That add is from Guitar Center... I have bought several guitars there so I always get e-mail from them about sales and stuff... You don't have to come to Spain.... Just guitar GC or MF or another of the big chain stores... They all price match.

The Robot handles many allternate tunings pre programmed plus you can add your own custom tunings and save them to the MIC.... Go on the Gibson web for more info on the Robot.... All the specs and funcions are listed...

Thanks Dave, I was just being lazy I guess and I will look up the specs. It will prolly be GC if I get one since there is a store in Nashua(no tax!). You see what I mean about the action though? Does the bridge height get raised automatically to compensate for the looser strings with lower tunings? LOL - what I meant by having to go to Spain for a 60s neck is that every single ad I've seen from GC or MF or Gibson always says they have the 50s rounded neck. Even the SGs. I'm going to have to carefully look into this obviously.

Wolff, go try one... See how it feels. Actually now that I think of it mine may have the 50's neck but there is not that much difference between the 50's and 60's necks... I have both and like them both... Go play one, try all the tunings... You can do that in Boston and when you are ready to buy go to NH....

Mike said the idea behind the price drop is that Gibson wants to get these guitars in as many hands as possible.... I guess its like an investment for the future...

Yeah' date=' I know that's what Mike said, but you have to remember that he is a Gibson employee.

I can't see Gibson coming out and openly saying that Robots aren't selling.

I feel sorry for all you guys that paid $2,200 + for the original Robots. Especially the ones that paid top dollar.

The bridge stays where it is, Wolff. All it does is move the tuners...and you're not supposed to touch the strings when it is tuning. I wonder if you'd get an electric jolt if you did. [img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/eusa_think.gif[/img]

Yeah' date=' I know that's what Mike said, but you have to remember that he is a Gibson employee.

I can't see Gibson coming out and openly saying that Robots aren't selling.

I feel sorry for all you guys that paid $2,200 + for the original Robots. Especially the ones that paid top dollar.

The bridge stays where it is, Wolff. All it does is move the tuners...and you're not supposed to touch the strings when it is tuning. I wonder if you'd get an electric jolt if you did. O:) [/quote']

I still don't mind paying the $2200 bucks I paid for my Robot, the first addition is a different animal. That fact is the guitar has proven itself to me, no problems what so ever, knock on guitar wood!! You are right though about the guys that spent stupid money on Ebay and were just caught up in the hype...

P.S. You can't get an electric shock by touching the string while its tuning, you will just mess up the communication between the bridge and the tuners... Besides it just DC voltage, now you might feel something if you stick your tounge on them eusa_whistle.gif

Boy' date=' Thats hard to pass up. I think I will go take a look, my business has taken an incrediable upswing so now is

the time. Thanks Dave![/quote']

Congrats on the upswing in your business!! You are a lucky man in these economic times... Enjoy!!!!

Wolff' date=' go try one... See how it feels. Actually now that I think of it mine may have the 50's neck but there is not that much difference between the 50's and 60's necks... I have both and like them both... Go play one, try all the tunings... You can do that in Boston and when you are ready to buy go to NH....[/quote']

Hmmm....I find a huge difference between 50s and 60s necks on regular LPs. I'd definitely want to try one out first at GC in Nashua which is far more convenient for me than going into the dreaded Beantown. It's only about 25 minutes up Rt 3. If all else fails and I have to go to Spain for my guitar....can I stay at your house? j/k

I must say with all these guys who own robots I am surprised nobody can answer my question about the action height adjustment.

Hmmm....I find a huge difference between 50s and 60s necks on regular LPs. I'd definitely want to try one out first at GC in Nashua which is far more convenient for me than going into the dreaded Beantown. It's only about 25 minutes up Rt 3. If all else fails and I have to go to Spain for my guitar....can I stay at your house? j/k

I must say with all these guys who own robots I am surprised nobody can answer my question about the action height adjustment.

The action height might not be an issue... Lets see if anyone out there with a Robot, who uses those alternate tunings can shed some light here...

I'm happy to help find good accommodations for anyone who comes to Spain... but not at my house [-X Hahahhaha

The bridge stays where it is' date=' Wolff. All it does is move the tuners... [/quote']

I believe there is a method for using it to set the intonation, but it requires a manual adjustment. Like R9 said, all that moves is the tuners. All of this is in the manual. You can Google Gibson Robot Guitar and get it off the Robot website in .pdf format... which I would strongly recomend doing prior to pruchasing one eusa_angel.gif

Oh ya! Sorry, I didn't see Tim's reply where he quoted another post.

I think I probably better stay away from these Robots since I really don't think they have them with the 60s neck and I doubt I can easily go from standard tuning to Drop B at the touch of a button. What I really want is a Silverburst LP Custom anyway. Better start saving up.....

Well it looks like the Robot will have to wait. My truck needs brakes $950.00

Stopping or a new guitar? I'll have to think about this one

Oh... man... tough choice! How much to cut a hole in the floor and"Flintstone" it?

So who is dropping? I just came from Guitar Denter' date=' and they were $1700.[/quote']

Yeah the add is a little deceptive because they show a Les Paul Robot in the add but the $1399 Robot is a SG.... but $1700 is still about $1000 les than what they were...

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up the SG for $1379.00 online, so far so good. I spent the first day just changing from one preset tuning to the next, it was great fun.

I did notice it didn't want to stay in tune very well. Maybe it could just be the strings which brings me to a question. Since the Robot uses the strings to pass information from the bridge to the tuners is it possible to use nanoweb type strings or would they interfere with the information transfer?

Archived