Gibson Brands Forums

SG SELECT-Discontinued??

econtras

Hello,

I purchased an SG Select last fall. It was a new model for 2007, introd at the NAMM show in early 07. It is a very beautiful guitar. Simple with a nice finish and gold hardware. It doesnt have quite the sustain of my Les Paul, but it really has a nice comfortable feel. It sold for the same price as some of the CS reissue models. My question is this. Has it been discontinued? I no longer see any information on it on Gibson's website. Unlike most SG's it is made from solid maple and and has a "brighter" tone. It sounds really nice. it has a long neck easy fret access and a slim profile. very comfortable. I compare it to my fender custom shop strat, and it blows it away hands down on playability, action and raw tone. Any ideas why it has or if it has been discontinued. If so I reccomend buying one while you can.

How does it sound compared to a LP Custom?

It is a tad bit "slappier" kind of a brighter tone, but really drives well with distortion or OD. It is also much, much lighter than the historic customs. I had a 57 RI but sold it. I would say that for me the SG was a better fit than that guitar, because it has better fret access and easier playability. But a les paul custom, is no slouch. I think it boils down to what "feels" better. I recently purchased a les Paul with a slim taper neck and it suits me a lot better than my 57 did. It is about 1.2 pounds lighter than my 57, but it just feels right. It has a shorter neck than the SG, but it has a slightly warmer tone in the neck pickup. it is also plekd, so the action is a little lower, but either make for fine guitars. I like the Les Paul for classic Rock and Blues, I play the SG for harder rock and alternative, or hard to reach solo work. I consider myself lucky and proud to be the owner of 2 Gibson guitars!

Archived