Gibson Brands Forums

Brand new natural top...P.O.S.

cowboybobb693

Gibson quality has gotten almost as bad as your average Chinese,Korean made crap...Bought a brand new natural top,came with black pick-up rings that I wanted to change to cream colored...Removed the rings and pick-ups...low and behold,wood chips,wood shavings,incomplete cavity cuts etc....Then I removed the plate from the 3 way switch,same thing...Gibson quality sucks...If I'm paying 1800.00 for a BRAND NEW guitar,it should not have these defects...it's going back to the factory for 3-5 weeks to be "repaired"....Does Gibson employ blind as well as stupid Quality Control employees or don't they care???Would love to hear back from the company Prez on what steps that he is going to take to insure that no other customer will pay his hard earned cash for a piece of junk like this one...

Gibson quality has gotten almost as bad as your average Chinese,Korean made crap...Bought a brand new natural top,came with black pick-up rings that I wanted to change to cream colored...Removed the rings and pick-ups...low and behold,wood chips,wood shavings,incomplete cavity cuts etc....Then I removed the plate from the 3 way switch,same thing...Gibson quality sucks...If I'm paying 1800.00 for a BRAND NEW guitar,it should not have these defects...it's going back to the factory for 3-5 weeks to be "repaired"....Does Gibson employ blind as well as stupid Quality Control employees or don't they care???Would love to hear back from the company Prez on what steps that he is going to take to insure that no other customer will pay his hard earned cash for a piece of junk like this one...

An update: Took it back to Guitar Center in San Antonio....I deal with them all of the time and they are good guys....Was going to trade it in for another model...Pull the pick-ups ..low and behold..the EXACT same problem/quality defect on TWO more guitars..GOODBYE GIBSON...I'll start buying PRS and Fender from now on...Your quality (or lack of) just made up my mind....So,those of you that don't mind spending your hard earned money for junk....well..keep buying Gibson...

I tried breaking down and buying a Gibson Les Paul Traditional, though the one I had in my hands was a real jem. I've found their quality control very poor, like a brand new 08 Standard that has dark blotches in the cream binding... and yet my Korean made Schecter is clean as a whistle. Gibson needs to do one of two things, either drop their prices or bring their quality control up to par with at least their competition much less what the price tag demands.

I tried breaking down and buying a Gibson Les Paul Traditional, though the one I had in my hands was a real jem. I've found their quality control very poor, like a brand new 08 Standard that has dark blotches in the cream binding... and yet my Korean made Schecter is clean as a whistle. Gibson needs to do one of two things, either drop their prices or bring their quality control up to par with at least their competition much less what the price tag demands.

I agree...The Quality (or lack of) coming out of the factory is a shame....I guess that Gibson will rely on long standing customers that really DON'T CARE about QUALITY,just about something that has "GIBSON" on the headstock.....I'll be buying PRS from now on....I may pay a little more...but the QUALITY is there...

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is a little old but I made a new account just to reply in it (I forgot my old one)

TO THE POINT: I bought a new Gibson Les Paul, and I loved it at first but after playing it for a while I noticed a rattle in it. after taking a look inside and seeing nothing I brought it in to a Tech who told me IT WAS HAUNTED!

Haunted you say? Well you know how some Les Pauls have hollowed out spots or a "chambered body" to reduce weight and supposedly to improve tone,

well the hollowed out cavities in mine were full of wood chips. the problem is that

THE CHAMBERS ARE TOTALLY INACCESSIBLE WITHOUT CUTTING THE GUITAR IN HALF!! The term for this (or so my tech tells me) is its haunted....

I sent it back to them and they basically told me it was my fault for shaking it too much and making the wood chips and dust come loose

NO! ITS NOT! ITS NOT MY FAULT THAT IT WAS A FRIDAY AT THE FACTORY AND ONE GUY WAS TOO LAZY TO USE THE AIR COMPRESSOR TO BLOW OUT THE SAWDUST

how the hell could it go from being cut, to getting its finish, and getting all the hardware put on, and nobody dusted the thing out.

Simply put, That's Unacceptable. from a company that constantly brags about their quality you think they would have more sense.

a guy in his garage making his first birdhouse out of plywood and chip board has enough sense to blow the dust out of it

i can relate to you on foreign guitars, I have A Gibson les paul, and american strat and an american tele amongst others and my fav to play is my squire strat, it just plays as well and in some cases better than my other guitars. the only problem was it didnt sound as good so i dropped in some fender SCN pickups with the s1 switch and now it sounds as good if not better than any of my American single coiled guitars

Sounds like Gibson is missing a crucial step called "blowing out the cavities to get rid of the wood chips". Not to make excuses for QC, but the wood chips are probably not noticeable to a QC inspector because they get a finished guitar and don't QC earlier steps in the process. Sorry to see Gibson customers go elsewhere to but their guitars.

Archived